Value of: Brett Pesce

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Nylander for Pesce would have the Leafs looking like this on the back end

Rielly-Pesce
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

That's something that I can live with for a team with cup aspirations imo.

And up front with Nylander gone.

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Leivo
Brown-Lindholm-Ennis

The bonus here is that Pesce's cap hit probably allows us to extend Gardiner, giving us a pretty decent top 3...keeping Nylander at 6.5 probably means good bye Gardiner.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's pretty much everything they need. I just think the Hall/Larsson deal has them a bit scurred.

He is close to an ideal fit, if he had some more offensive flare/upside/creativity.

Nylander has all of that + the ability/skill to move to the center of the ice, where he should probably already be. His only real flaw is when the games hit the highest intensity, he struggles to take a hit to make plays, i.e. being soft. It's a mental block more than anything, which he should learn to fix with time.

For me as a Leafs fan, I'd have to aim for a lot higher than Pesce in a 1 for 1 if Nylander is being moved. I don't hate the framework though as long as there's one big add, at minimum.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He's pretty much everything they need. I just think the Hall/Larsson deal has them a bit scurred.

What does the Hall Larsson deal have to do with Pesce and Nylander?

The only problem fans should have with Pesce for Nylander related to Larsson/Hall is Hurricanes fans asking why they are getting a player half as good as Hall for a defender similar to Larsson (on a better deal).

I think Pesce for Nylander is a fine trade as long as the Canes are happy with Faulk and the contract extension is reasonable ($7.5 million on the upper end).

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

member 157595

It's kind of like having no need for a center, although on a lesser scale. What's that like?:laugh:

Point taken.

You know you want Ron Hainsey on your top pairing. Scott Darling would approve, and do you really want to make Scott Darling disappointed?

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Carolina absolutely does not add. It’s equal or leafs add. This is a top pair righty D vs. a butter soft, gutless winger. Cmon, man.
I like Pesce but seriously man, come on.
Slavin is a top pairing defenceman...Pesce is just his partner. That’s like SJ fans claiming that Braun is a top pairing dman because he played with Vlasic the last couple of years.
The only legitimate way to call a player a top pairing defenceman is if he is top pair defenceman no matter who he’s playing with. Pesce is not that.
On a side note, every time I see a Leafs thread...there you are talking trash about our guys. Kinda pathetic, bro!

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Nylander & Holl/Leivo
for
Pesce

Nylander +++ for Ekblad makes a ton of sense and get a little more value.

With Carolinas Right Side you could possibly get Pesce for a couple of the young Finnish players and a + that would be good for Aho's and a few others comfort/development .

#1 RHD is hard to replace but if Toronto adds 1 or both of thier Russian D and another significant piece + that could help with Dadanov and some of thier other Russian players... Florida is a really good team but they are not going to be top flight contenders for a couple of seasons.
....with or without Ekblad

It gives Florida a legit Top 6 and they can package some other assets Bjugstad,Psyk etc...to get a young potential top 4 D or draft one, and Weeger needs more ice .

These two moves by the Leafs possibly set up all three teams for more competitive windows.

Each team gets better overall depending on the adds of course.

Insta Cup for the Leafs this year and perhaps a Dynasty.

Carolina gets a year or 2 to simmer and be a threat

Florida gets a lethal Top 6 and has enough Depth on D to at least keep the current trajectory and see what they have in Weeger and others.

The Leafs Have a Top D overnight and are far and away the the best designed team in the league with the Cap better spread out for need .

Carolina opens up ice for younger cheaper D and gives more minutes to Hamilton and opens the log jam on the right side.

Totally open to constructive criticism just don't come at it not thought out. I know Ekblad is not easily replaced but I believe in a couple of seasons all teams involved are better.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He is close to an ideal fit, if he had some more offensive flare/upside/creativity.

Nylander has all of that + the ability/skill to move to the center of the ice, where he should probably already be. His only real flaw is when the games hit the highest intensity, he struggles to take a hit to make plays, i.e. being soft. It's a mental block more than anything, which he should learn to fix with time.

For me as a Leafs fan, I'd have to aim for a lot higher than Pesce in a 1 for 1 if Nylander is being moved. I don't hate the framework though as long as there's one big add, at minimum.

Nylander with his contract situation doesn't get Pesce + a significant add. Pesce is good for 20-25 points which is really solid for a defense first guy. He's also signed to a really good contract. If Nylander signs above 7 there's definitely no add from Carolina side.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Pesce for Nylander is fair. Any adds would be insignificant by hf standards. I would warn as the season goes, values are going to shift and probably not in Toronto's favor.

member 157595

Pesce for Nylander is fair. Any adds would be insignificant by hf standards. I would warn as the season goes, values are going to shift and probably not in Toronto's favor.

Both teams would be slightly uncomfortable 1-for-1, so the trade is probably close to fair value in my opinion.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Kapanen -Liljgeren- Hyman- Pick-+

Pesce- Ferland

giphy.gif

I don’t think those pieces hold the value you think they do.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander +++ for Ekblad makes a ton of sense and get a little more value.

With Carolinas Right Side you could possibly get Pesce for a couple of the young Finnish players and a + that would be good for Aho's and a few others comfort/development .

#1 RHD is hard to replace but if Toronto adds 1 or both of thier Russian D and another significant piece + that could help with Dadanov and some of thier other Russian players... Florida is a really good team but they are not going to be top flight contenders for a couple of seasons.
....with or without Ekblad

It gives Florida a legit Top 6 and they can package some other assets Bjugstad,Psyk etc...to get a young potential top 4 D or draft one, and Weeger needs more ice .

These two moves by the Leafs possibly set up all three teams for more competitive windows.

Each team gets better overall depending on the adds of course.

Insta Cup for the Leafs this year and perhaps a Dynasty.

Carolina gets a year or 2 to simmer and be a threat

Florida gets a lethal Top 6 and has enough Depth on D to at least keep the current trajectory and see what they have in Weeger and others.

The Leafs Have a Top D overnight and are far and away the the best designed team in the league with the Cap better spread out for need .

Carolina opens up ice for younger cheaper D and gives more minutes to Hamilton and opens the log jam on the right side.

Totally open to constructive criticism just don't come at it not thought out. I know Ekblad is not easily replaced but I believe in a couple of seasons all teams involved are better.
As much as I like Ekblad, his injury history and that 7.5 Million dollar contract are too big a risk at this point

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I think just about anyone would heat up on Matthews’ wing right now.
Yeah it got him going in general tbf.
He has 3 points with Matthews in 2 games and 1 point away in those 2 games. So I imagine when Kappy eventually gets put with kadri he will still score(not as much though). Point is Kappy not on the 4th line anymore and scoring is which has taken too long.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Well your video doesent explain the value or where they fit ?

In the overall scope you have 3 RHD that are capable of big minutes and young capable guys knocking on the door on ELC.

Kap and Liljgren are fits for the Finnish culture,
Kapanen is ready now and could play LW on that first line.

Hyman with Staal and Williams which would be a Top Shutdown Line.

Liljgren who is a Finn can develop for a year or even 2.

Those three have at least the value of 2 1rst and a 2nd rather easily ?

Plus the pick and another plus.

Tell me how the value isent close and doesent help you ?

A video is to casual... try reasoning or don't .....the value is there depending on the pick or other + :)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Well your video doesent explain the value or where they fit ?

In the overall scope you have 3 RHD that are capable of big minutes and young capable guys knocking on the door on ELC.

Kap and Liljgren are fits for the Finnish culture,
Kapanen is ready now and could play LW on that first line.

Hyman with Staal and Williams which would be a Top Shutdown Line.

Liljgren who is a Finn can develop for a year or even 2.

Those three have at least the value of 2 1rst and a 2nd rather easily ?

Plus the pick and another plus.

Tell me how the value isent close and doesent help you ?

A video is to casual... try reasoning or don't .....the value is there depending on the pick or other + :)

Not a single one of those pieces fills a need for us. I disagree with you on the value they hold as well but even without considering that you’re not offering the canes anything they want. Defensive prospects and middle six wingers simply aren’t a need.

Liljegren isn’t a Finn, btw, and sharing nationalities with a player we already have wouldn’t raise his value anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad