Value of: Brett Pesce

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Probably quite high or not available

Great contract and very good analytics

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So is Nylander for Pesce fair? I’m hearing that Canes fans would take this deal or is that inaccurate?

Carolina would need to add to the deal, if Carolina was willing to deal him. Exactly what the add would be, is somewhat debatable. Above Gauthier, below Bean.... though I'm sure with a few tweaks, a deal could be done, if both sides were looking to make one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Leafs don't want to trade Nylander for Pesce and change because the value is too far off, and the next forward options are Kadri and Kapanen...

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's Zaitsev level skill, just a tad better defensively and a tad younger with a little more room to grow. He's a good second pairing d-man.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Carolina would need to add to the deal, if Carolina was willing to deal him. Exactly what the add would be, is somewhat debatable. Above Gauthier, below Bean.... though I'm sure with a few tweaks, a deal could be done, if both sides were looking to make one.
We would not be adding. Pesce is on a steal of a deal, whereas Nylander probably wants at least 50% more than what Pesce is making long term.

Either way, with the way the offense is clicking right now, I'm probably not trading Pesce barring a huge overpayment.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So is Nylander for Pesce fair? I’m hearing that Canes fans would take this deal or is that inaccurate?

It's fair value. Maybe Carolina would add a relatively token asset like a 2nd to make Toronto feel better about it, but nothing significant. Nylander is the better player, but positional value and the ~$3 mil+ difference in cap and salary if signed to the same term eliminates much of the gap in trade value.

Whether Carolina would do it, I don't know. Leveraging the depth on defense to add a quality, long-term forward makes sense. However, there are some factors Waddell and co. have to consider. Nylander's contract would directly influence what Teravainen and Aho get on their extensions. If his price doesn't come down, that's problematic. Perhaps a consideration that requires a rosy view of how things will pan out in the future is Nylander's style of play in the context of Carolina's core. The Canes have their Top 6 C-RW combos of the future in Aho-Teravainen and Necas-Svechnikov (eventually) with a player with a Nylander-esque playmaking lean on each unit. For an organization that likely doesn't want to go back to the perimeter play of the past, Nylander may turn out to be an odd fit. Of course, it was reported that Carolina called about him. Those considerations may be insignificant. What would not be is the term risk that comes with dealing Pesce. Faulk is a 2020 UFA to be and Hamilton a 2021.

I don't think it's a no-brainer yes from a Carolina POV.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A little early to seriously consider trade talks. American Thanksgiving we'll have a better idea.

Nylander for Pesce 1 for 1 is too Hall-Larsson for me. I'd want a pretty good add, if there wasn't an add then we continue to wait for Nylander to fold.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see zero reason why Carolina would make this trade unless they believe Nylander can play C.

If I am Toronto I do this trade in a heartbeat even if there is a small add needed. He is young, cost controlled and good defensively.

It'll be up to a team to decide if they believe he's a centre at this point. We're rolling Matthews-Tavares-Kadri, basically impossible for him to get any ice time at centre.

We wouldn't add to any deal though...expectation would be that Carolina adds just in my opinion.

Feb 24, 2017
Carolina absolutely does not add. It’s equal or leafs add. This is a top pair righty D vs. a butter soft, gutless winger. Cmon, man.

Reactions: canucklehead44

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
A little early to seriously consider trade talks. American Thanksgiving we'll have a better idea.

Nylander for Pesce 1 for 1 is too Hall-Larsson for me. I'd want a pretty good add, if there wasn't an add then we continue to wait for Nylander to fold.

I doubt anyone wanna gonna trade full value for Nylander until a contract is signed, and by the looks off it, Leafs dont need him, just do a sign and trade :P
This Classic HF move (check what Canes are willing to pay him, if Nylander accept that su, just trade him)

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt anyone wanna gonna trade full value for Nylander until a contract is signed, and by the looks off it, Leafs dont need him, just do a sign and trade :P
This Classic HF move (check what Canes are willing to pay him, if Nylander accept that su, just trade him)

I think the smart thing to do right now would be to see if the chemistry that Matthews and Kapanen are having is sustainable. We're talking like a 10-15 game segment, see what its like.

If they are able to keep it up then moving Nylander is a real possibility. Marner is a top line RW, Nylander is a top line RW, and if Kapanen proves to be a top 6 RW, how many top 6 RW you need?

Trade from an area of strength. Nylander may be able to play centre for someone else too, but not for us.
If the Leafs get Nylander signed to a $6.5M 7 year deal then other teams know what they're getting with him too.

We'll see how it all shakes out, at some point, Nylander will snap because he's a hockey player and will want to actually play.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To me, I think a Nylander-Pesce swap would involve both teams adding.

From Toronto, one of their borderline NHL, waiver exempt young blueliners (Bergman, holl, Rosen, maybe even a Sandin or Liligren).

From Carolina, a draft pick; simply because without Nylander, the Leafs will likely want to go shopping at the deadline for a little bit of depth on the wing.

That being said, Push comes to shove, I'd probably do the deal straight up -- Peace would give the Leafs a ton of flexibility because of his contract (while having Rielly and Zaitsev also locked up long term around the same number).

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think the smart thing to do right now would be to see if the chemistry that Matthews and Kapanen are having is sustainable. We're talking like a 10-15 game segment, see what its like.

If they are able to keep it up then moving Nylander is a real possibility. Marner is a top line RW, Nylander is a top line RW, and if Kapanen proves to be a top 6 RW, how many top 6 RW you need?

Trade from an area of strength. Nylander may be able to play centre for someone else too, but not for us.
If the Leafs get Nylander signed to a $6.5M 7 year deal then other teams know what they're getting with him too.

We'll see how it all shakes out, at some point, Nylander will snap because he's a hockey player and will want to actually play.

I would not worry about the Matthews-Kapanen Chemistry, I mean Matthews made Hyman look like a top-6 winger…

Jets have 2 topline RWs, and that is almost 1 to many aswell (and expensive)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Nylander for Pesce seems like a pretty fair trade imo, think Pesce is worth more because of contract and position.

If you look at needs and cap structure i think Leafs would be stupid not to do it even if Nylander is a very good player... He is basically a luxury that they dont really need with Matthews, Tavares and Marner, Kadri centering the 3rd line with his contract etc.
They have enough complimentary talent to put on the wings in their top 9 to score a lot without Nylander.

Not sure i understand why Canes would do it though. They have a lot of good young forwards just starting their NHL careers. Sure they have a great defensive core but Pesce is a big reason for that and his contract is amazing. Do Canes really need another winger at the expense of Pesce? Im not so sure...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad