Value of: Brett Pesce

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Those two names I've mentioned on the Leafs boards are Markus Nutivaara and Justin Braun.

And those two have equivalent trade value to Brett Pesce, with all three each holding less trade value than a 60 point complimentary winger RFA holdout?

Why? Because you said so?

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@ITM As a Leafs fan, who has watched some Carolina, Pesce is exception at what he does, among his peers. That is, Right Handed, Defensive D-man. Being paired with Slavin certainly helps, but he is also exceptional on his own. His offense isn't great though, 19/20 points, though he doesn't get any PP time either. Good at PK as well.

IMO, a top pairing RHD, with good offensive skills is worth quite a bit... that isn't Pesce. But that value is more like a legit, proven #1C, that isn't Nylander either.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Well no one's your dog, so two will do, especially since the object isn't to trade for five options, just one that supplements our defense without trading William Nylander. Those two names I've mentioned on the Leafs boards are Markus Nutivaara and Justin Braun.

My objective, like many Leafs fans, is to keep our talent on forward and trade from expendable assets, of which Nylander isn't one. So to repeat, the objective is to retain Nylander, not trade for Pesce. To that end, I'd like to keep Nylander and acquire a similar player (noting full well that similar need not be a precise substitute) rather than trade Nylander.

But neither of those are even similar in value nor ability! :huh:

Nutivaara is LEFT HANDED OFFENSIVE PMD, why would Toronto even want him? Makes like 0 sense.

Justin Braun is way older and worse than Pesce. I'll just leave this here.

Half of what this @ITM guy says makes no sense anyways.

Attachments

• Dashboard_1 (3).PNG
    Dashboard_1 (3).PNG
    779.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Nutivaara is LEFT HANDED OFFENSIVE PMD, why would Toronto even want him? Makes like 0 sense.

Looking at the stats, Nutivaara and Pesce were similar in 17-18, save that Nutivaara faced lesser comp and got significantly better goaltending (Pesce was also injured halfway through and tried to thug it out, but I don't know if there were any other extenuating circumstances for Nutivaara).

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I really like Nylander and he would improve the Canes. He’s got a great future. I do think Toronto should deal him because a real player should be PLAYING. The players will say the right things but deep down they all know he is holding out for money... he has turned his back on the TEAM. I am disappointed that a hockey player is sitting out for money. Hockey players shouldn’t do that. Leave that prima Donna BS to the NFL and MLB crybabies. Hockey is better than that.

I’d rather keep Pesce. People look at his stats and try to quantify his abilities with points and plus/minus. Players on crappy teams usually have crappy stats. Put Pesce on a team that can convert his sweet breakout passes into goals and he will be amazing (like he has been for us the last 20 games). He’s staying put unless the offer is too good to turn down. If you want him, it is going to HURT.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really like Nylander and he would improve the Canes. He’s got a great future. I do think Toronto should deal him because a real player should be PLAYING. The players will say the right things but deep down they all know he is holding out for money... he has turned his back on the TEAM. I am disappointed that a hockey player is sitting out for money. Hockey players shouldn’t do that. Leave that prima Donna BS to the NFL and MLB crybabies. Hockey is better than that.

I’d rather keep Pesce. People look at his stats and try to quantify his abilities with points and plus/minus. Players on crappy teams usually have crappy stats. Put Pesce on a team that can convert his sweet breakout passes into goals and he will be amazing (like he has been for us the last 20 games). He’s staying put unless the offer is too good to turn down. If you want him, it is going to HURT.

Someone in the Leafs forum called him a Pre-Madonna... I asked if that was like a Diana Ross.

But, we have no idea who is offering what, or if any of the rumours on demands, offers... are true. He's doing what he thinks is best for his career, and I don't begrudge him that. He will likely sign in the next week or two now anyway... There aren't many other options, unless he wants to sit a year, and completely crater his value.

I don't blame you on wanting to keep Pesce, he's a solid player.

Reactions: SlavinAway and ITM

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
And those two have equivalent trade value to Brett Pesce, with all three each holding less trade value than a 60 point complimentary winger RFA holdout?

Why? Because you said so?

Yes, because I said so, but yes moreover because of what I said. Namely, they represent alternatives consistent with my repeated thesis concerning the option to trade or keep (in this instance KEEP) Nylander.

I didn't say Braun or Nutivaara represented equivalent value. If I recall, I believe I said "similar options". The word similar means: "resembling without being identical". The word equivalent means: "equal in amount, function, meaning, etc...".

If I was a Canes fan or better yet, hated the Leafs and better still, hated HFBoards Leafs fans, I could see my way to reading the word similar as conveying the meaning of the word, equivalent.

MY repeated preference is keeping Nylander and not trading for Pesce with Nylander. Meaning, I'd prefer to find an alternative similar (albeit lesser) version of our need without having to move Nylander in a situation of duress to do so.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
But neither of those are even similar in value nor ability! :huh:

Justin Braun is way older and worse than Pesce. I'll just leave this here.

Half of what this @ITM guy says makes no sense anyways.

It does if your brain hasn't been pickled in second to second Twitterverse "news" cycles.

I don't give flying Finnish f*** if Nutivaara is left-handed, right-handed, no-handed and plays with a stick surgically inserted into his elbow. The REPEATED point I've stated is, it's MY preference that Toronto KEEP William Nylander and NOT trade for Brett Pesce IF the cost IS William Nylander, owing to Nylander's superior talent and upside.

I regard options that don't cost potential stars like Nylander to be of greater value to Toronto than trading Nylander for a player like Pesce. I've stated I understand both Nutivaara and Braun don't fit the apparent ideal of Pesce...But THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF MY ASSERTION. The point is...not...to...trade...William...Nylander...especially...under...duress.

Prior to Nylander's holdout, there was nothing of any significance being bandied about concerning Pesce. Nothing. It took unforeseen circumstances to kickstart the possibility of such a hypothetical deal. Meaning, in ideal circumstances, Toronto wouldn't SETTLE for Pesce. And this under reports that Carolina has been calling Toronto...and...not...the...other...way...around.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
@ITM As a Leafs fan, who has watched some Carolina, Pesce is exception at what he does, among his peers. That is, Right Handed, Defensive D-man. Being paired with Slavin certainly helps, but he is also exceptional on his own. His offense isn't great though, 19/20 points, though he doesn't get any PP time either. Good at PK as well.

IMO, a top pairing RHD, with good offensive skills is worth quite a bit... that isn't Pesce. But that value is more like a legit, proven #1C, that isn't Nylander either.

We disagree on Nylander, but it's interesting that you're getting Canes' fans likes for noting Pesce isn't the piece to target for Toronto.

Oh the irony.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If I recall, I believe I said "similar options".

You said:

too many conversations relativizing [Nylander's] worth to be equivocal for good pieces like Pesce that can be found similarly across the league for less cost than a William Nylander or Nik Ehlers.

You don't like that Nylander's trade worth is perceived as equal to pieces, like Pesce, found across the League.

"Simlar" is an adverb which modifies the verb "found". This doesn't make literal sense, nor really in the abstract sense, but correcting semantics on the internet is lame and only done when someone doesn't want to admit they're wrong/don't know what they're talking about.

Anyway you claimed there are pieces "like Pesce" around the League that may be had for less than the cost of Nylander. I asked for examples. You cited two guys that are neither comparable to Pesce, nor have ever been traded, hence making it difficult to discern their trade worth.

MY repeated preference is keeping Nylander and not trading for Pesce with Nylander.

That's fine. I didn't reply to your preference to keep Nylander, and if you had simply said that and shut up, not a single 'Canes fan would care. I replied to your claim that the Leafs could get pieces "like Pesce", by asking for an example. You gave a mediocre example in Braun (given quality of play and age and contract) and a poorly thought out one in Nutivaara. Then you did nothing to support the assertion that they're "like Pesce" or that they hold similar trade value.

Do you still defend the assertion that they're "like Pesce" or hold similar trade value?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The reality is that Carolina and Toronto make sense as trade partners seeing as the Leafs are stacked up front and Carolina at the back.

The legit NHL analysts have mentioned Nylander for Pesce as a legit deal and when Nylander signs a reasonable deal it will make even more sense. Pesce is a solid cost controlled top 4 D that the Leafs covet and the Hurricanes could use Nylander’s game breaking ability. Neither side will like it but it would be more win-win than Larsson for Hall.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
You don't like that Nylander's trade worth is perceived as equal to pieces, like Pesce, found across the League.

No I don't like it, but I can't control inaccurate perceptions anymore than I can control people to actually represent my opinions accurately. All I or anyone else can do is repeat it until it's plainly understood. Pesce or Nutivaara or Braun don't represent players of focus, of even remote consideration when placed in proposals for William Nylander.

"Simlar" is an adverb which modifies the verb "found". This doesn't make literal sense, nor really in the abstract sense, but correcting semantics on the internet is lame and only done when someone doesn't want to admit they're wrong/don't know what they're talking about.

Or when being taken completely out of context as other posts would confirm. You forgot to quote those sentences where I describe Nylander, plainly understood, as being better than a "good piece" i.e. Brett Pesce.

On "found similarly" being inapplicable in a literal or abstract sense...Seriously. Do your due diligence. I also use the adverb "very" to modify Nylander in the superlative. Plainly understood, I'm not concerned with submitting an actual working trade model that reflects advanced stats for Pesce, Nutivaara and Braun, et al. whomever they may or may not be. I'm simply not interested in the idea of trading Nylander under duress and for players that BUT FOR duress wouldn't be a target of the Toronto Maple Leafs i.e. Brett Pesce.

Anyway you claimed there are pieces "like Pesce" around the League that may be had for less than the cost of Nylander. I asked for examples. You cited two guys that are neither comparable to Pesce, nor have ever been traded, hence making it difficult to discern their trade worth.

Nylander and Pesce haven't been traded, but there's nothing difficult to discern their worth one to the other anymore than there's difficulty discerning Nylander's worth to Nutivaaa or Braun.

Saying "like" Pesce clearly doesn't mean equivocal to Pesce, especially when I've qualified as much...The plain implication in not trading Nylander for Pesce is that Pesce is of lesser value than Nylander. If I regard Pesce as lesser in value to Nylander and caveat any possibility on acquiring a "good piece like" Brett Pesce, I don't mean a piece precisely and exactly like Pesce. Moreover that the desired outcome is Nylander plus an acquisition rather than an acquisition for Nylander.

If the need was a back-up goalie and Keith Kinkaid was available, I also wouldn't want to trade William Nylander for him. If it was a good, defensively responsible, possible power forward like Nick Ritchie, I still wouldn't want to trade William Nylander for him. Along the way, I'd probably relay Kinkaid's comparables and Ritchie's comparables in a very clumsy fashion. Why? Because the notion of trading William Nylander for Brett Pesce or Keith Kinkaid or Nick Ritchie is so far out of my consideration set as starting point given the obvious disparity in talent, that representing their value according to their fanbase's equivalency tables is completely useless.

That's fine. I didn't reply to your preference to keep Nylander, and if you had simply said that and shut up, not a single 'Canes fan would care.

That's not my problem. If you prefer to exclude the thrust of my objection in the first place I'm not sure where you find the confidence to advise me on how to post.

And to the bold...I did. Repeatedly. And I'll repeat it in context of not finding Pesce palatable as a constant offer for the obviously implied and stated reasons that sees Nylander as an inherently bigger get than Pesce is. Canes fans can care about Pesce in the way some Maple Leafs continue to remember Bob Rouse. I don't care, it's not going to change the fundamental position I've repeated that trading Nylander and Pesce as two principal pieces makes zero sense for Toronto and is only making some sense because of the apparent situation.

I replied to your claim that the Leafs could get pieces "like Pesce", by asking for an example. You gave a mediocre example in Braun (given quality of play and age and contract) and a poorly thought out one in Nutivaara. Then you did nothing to support the assertion that they're "like Pesce" or that they hold similar trade value.

Do you still defend the assertion that they're "like Pesce" or hold similar trade value?

I never did hold that they have similar trade value and noted (somewhere) that Nuitvaara and Braun would be the lesser of Pesce...but in a group of assets that together still wouldn't and shouldn't yield William Nylander. Admittedly, my fine tooth comb remained firmly in pocket when waxing whimsical about...whew...Markus Nutivaara as a decent option B to Brett Pesce where William Nylander ALSO wouldn't be involved in acquiring.

It's an indirect way of acknowledging that the model has legs and that I disagree with the notion of including Nylander in a trade and more importantly for an asset I think can be found IN PART, for substantially less than one of the players affectionately included in our fanbase's collective descriptor of "Big Three".

If I didn't satisfy a loyal Canes' Brett Pesce fan's criteria of defining "like" in reasonable comparison to players around the league, then mea culpa. But I never claimed equivalencies could be had, I thought I was plainly conveying that lesser but similar pieces could be found, as implied in the proposed cost, which would be whatever it cost minus William Nylander, the apparent price of...Brett Pesce.

A mediocre example is Braun and Nutivaara you say? Ok...Well...You apparently did catch the gist that I also regard them as mediocre and especially so against the proposition of Pesce for Nylander and that mediocre prices should yield mediocre pieces and not William Nylander.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm not concerned with submitting an actual working trade model that reflects advanced stats for Pesce, Nutivaara and Braun, et al. whomever they may or may not be

I assume this is as close as you'll get to backing down from your original position. Yeesh.

I thought I was plainly conveying

You're filibustering, lol.

Though I'm quite impressed by your ability to grandiloquently say nothing of particular profundity.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
I assume this is as close as you'll get to backing down from your original position. Yeesh.

Original position, repeated and repeated yet again, sees Toronto retaining Nylander full stop. Consideration of Pesce as a primary piece, a non-starter...and then the incidental rest...

You're filibustering, lol.

Though I'm quite impressed by your ability to grandiloquently say nothing of particular profundity.

Not nearly as impressed as I am by the overall character of terminological inexactitude in yours.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Saying "like" Pesce clearly doesn't mean equivocal to Pesce, especially when I've qualified as much...The plain implication in not trading Nylander for Pesce is that Pesce is of lesser value than Nylander. If I regard Pesce as lesser in value to Nylander and caveat any possibility on acquiring a "good piece like" Brett Pesce, I don't mean a piece precisely and exactly like Pesce. Moreover that the desired outcome is Nylander plus an acquisition rather than an acquisition for Nylander.

You keep saying keeping nylander + getting player "similar to" Pesce is better, when you dont even have the cap space to sign Nylander, you wont have cap space to acquire upgrade at defence, do you understand that simple thing?

Besides that, the reported ask for Nylander is half of Pesce's, with your logic you should compare having Nylander to Pesce + around 4m for another asset.

You keep talking but you still havent shown any knowledge of the situation, even though you admit you do.

Feb 24, 2017
Brett Pesce would be a dream add to the Toronto blue line. I feel like it stands to reason that since we heard that Carolina inquired about Nylander, that Pesce isn’t available. Were he to be available, and Shanahan didn’t authorize that transaction, it would be a massive error in judgement. So Pesce must be known to not be available for William Nylander.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Wow, this thread has devolved into a pissing match between a couple of wanna be English professors.
Not your typical colloquial discussion for a hockey forum.....see what I did there?

Anyway, Canes aren't trading Pesce for an unsigned Willie. The offer is Faulk and a pick/prospect.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Prior to Nylander's holdout, there was nothing of any significance being bandied about concerning Pesce. Nothing. It took unforeseen circumstances to kickstart the possibility of such a hypothetical deal. Meaning, in ideal circumstances, Toronto wouldn't SETTLE for Pesce. And this under reports that Carolina has been calling Toronto...and...not...the...other...way...around.

You realize no one was talking about Pesce because he plays in Carolina right? Sure, he's being talked about now because of the Nylander holdout, but that has absolutely nothing to do with his ability.

Besides, Nylander is reliant on Matthews and two thirds of his points at even strength came with Matthews. Now Kapanen is playing at a PPG pace and about to pass his season high of 9 on 38 from last season IN TEN GAMES because he's playing with Matthews.

We'll keep our stud of a RD that we can slot in anywhere in the lineup on a steal of a contract as opposed to a winger/fringe center who's throwing away his season by holding out for a big payday.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Wow, this thread has devolved into a pissing match between a couple of wanna be English professors.
Not your typical colloquial discussion for a hockey forum.....see what I did there?

Anyway, Canes aren't trading Pesce for an unsigned Willie. The offer is Faulk and a pick/prospect.

Good post. I agree with this person. Faulk + for the unsigned Swede.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I appreciate the information.

Ice time could also be used to reflect the difference in the other three categories in Nutivaara's potential favor. Recognizing the difference in value between the two players, I would rather have Nutivaara and keep Nylander, than trade Nylander for Pesce. I'm not in the camp that believes we have a window that's rapidly closing on a Cup. I don't think our program is close enough and I don't think we've had enough time with some of our players in order to evaluate their true value to the club.

How much does Slavin influence Pesce's success? Or...Is it the other way around?

Thanks.

Pesce and Slavin compliment each other and pad each other's stats. Taking the pure statistical analysis out of the discussion, they are very comfortable with each other and have something of a "twins" type of interaction. They know what the other is going to do and where they are going to be.

I think the perceived necessity of the moment in Nylander's situation is completely deforming his value and that there are far too many conversations relativizing his worth to be equivocal for good pieces like Pesce that can be found similarly across the league for less cost than a William Nylander or Nik Ehlers.

I like Nylander and really would like to see him in a Carolina sweater....just not at the cost ob Brett Pesce. That said, Nylander's hold out, a perception (perhaps misguided) that he benefits significantly from playing on Matthews' wing, and his lack of consistent ice time at center all DO impact his value. Add his reported salary ask, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lesser return in trade should it come to that. While there may be some magic GM dust in Dubas' pocket, he'll have to break it out next year and the following year to get the deals done he needs to finalize.

So Pesce must be known to not be available for William Nylander.

Canes fans don't want to trade him and are mostly just responding to speculation in the media. I think I even recall talk from Tom Dundon that he was nearly as untouchable as Slavin, but I could be wrong about that. Both coach and owner have been quietly complimentary of Pesce, however.

Reactions: ITM and SlavinAway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad