Player Discussion Brett Howden

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Referring to the open letter to fans from Gorton, Andersson falls into the "character" selection and signing. The kid was never being looked to drive offense, and bottom-six with leadership abilities are still in the offing.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Referring to the open letter to fans from Gorton, Andersson falls into the "character" selection and signing. The kid was never being looked to drive offense, and bottom-six with leadership abilities are still in the offing.
I guess but if they weren't expecting him to drive offense, why the hell take him? That's just idiotic

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Of course they hoped Andersson would drive offense. It was one of the highest picks the team had in recent memory up until then.

If an organization doesn’t at least hope that a 7th overall pick can drive offense then they need a new GM and scouts.

I say this as a fan of Gorton and the Rangers scouts.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The truth is somewhere in the middle on this one. Andersson was viewed as a player to generate offense, he just wasn't viewed as guy who was going to be leading the team in that category.

The hope was that he could develop into a second line center in the mold of Horvat, or even what ROR was at the time. And that really wasn't an unfair expectation --- though there's always going to be that element that wants a home run swing with every pick.

Having said that, it's highly unlikely Andersson hits the ceiling the Rangers hoped for. Now it's more a matter of whether he can be a strong third line center.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The truth is somewhere in the middle on this one. Andersson was viewed as a player to generate offense, he just wasn't viewed as guy who was going to be leading the team in that category.

The hope was that he could develop into a second line center in the mold of Horvat, or even what ROR was at the time. And that really wasn't an unfair expectation --- though there's always going to be that element that wants a home run swing with every pick.

Having said that, it's highly unlikely Andersson hits the ceiling the Rangers hoped for. Now it's more a matter of whether he can be a strong third line center.
Really? Anything more than Anisimov / Callahan / Dubinsky seemed very ambitious for Lias — and I’m not talking about their good seasons.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Right, and I don't think it's unfair given he had one of the best U18 seasons in SuperElit history in 15-16 and then had a really strong SHL performance in his draft year. He absolutely had offense as a component of his game, and it's strange to see it totally evaporate since coming over here.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can still see Andersson having some reasonable scoring success in the NHL. I just don't see it being with the Rangers. Feels like more than just a situation where a prospect has stalled and I think it's better for the player and the team to part ways.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Howden might be able to carve out a Brian Boyle type career. 4th line Center, good at face-offs and tops at 20pts a year. I just hate when Quinn constantly moves him between skilled players. Howden is in no way, shape or form a skilled player. He's a dump and chase, zero offense, semi-good penalty killer. Staple him to the 4th line. He has done nothing to earn any top 6 minutes or play with top 6 players.

Quinn changes the lines all the time and it's infuriating. Let them do their thing and figure it out.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right, and I don't think it's unfair given he had one of the best U18 seasons in SuperElit history in 15-16 and then had a really strong SHL performance in his draft year. He absolutely had offense as a component of his game, and it's strange to see it totally evaporate since coming over here.

I think this year has partially messed with his head quite a bit.

Because even his production as an 18/19 year old in the AHL, was very good.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I guess but if they weren't expecting him to drive offense, why the hell take him? That's just idiotic

We were still a contender and his "NHL readiness" and NYR's lack of cheap prospect depth was probably a consideration at the time.

Them taking Chytil as a gamble/project with their 2nd first round pick was an indicator of that thinking.

Besides the fact, clairvoyance aside, who in the 2017 NHL draft out of the hundreds of players chosen post #7, is clearly a win that we missed? Robert Thomas? Necas? We nabbed the third in Chytil. Every other prospect is a bust or not even on NHL radars yet. 2017 is shaping up to be a terrible draft year and I'm sure not one of the 30 other teams in the league would say "Wow, Gorts, Clark, and Bobrov really screwed that one up."

IT> WAS> A> TERRIBLE> DRAFT> OUTSIDE> THE> TOP> SIX.

Yeash. I feel dirty for having to echo this so much.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
We were still a contender and his "NHL readiness" and NYR's lack of cheap prospect depth was probably a consideration at the time.

Them taking Chytil as a gamble/project with their 2nd first round pick was an indicator of that thinking.

Besides the fact, clairvoyance aside, who in the 2017 NHL draft out of the hundreds of players chosen post #7, is clearly a win that we missed? Robert Thomas? Necas? We nabbed the third in Chytil. Every other prospect is a bust or not even on NHL radars yet. 2017 is shaping up to be a terrible draft year and I'm sure not one of the 30 other teams in the league would say "Wow, Gorts, Clark, and Bobrov really screwed that one up."

IT> WAS> A> TERRIBLE> DRAFT> OUTDIDE> THE> TOP> SIX.

Yeash. I feel dirty for having to echo this so much.
I agree that with the Chytil pick that they were going for safe at 7 and homerun swing 21

Just saying if they really drafted him because of leadership and didn’t expect him to drive much offense, I take issue with that

Not that it matters much because I don’t think that’s what actually happened. I think they hoped he could turn into a very reliable middle 6 player and thus far he’s disappointed

Reactions: White Death 24

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I would take Callahand or Dubinksy. Easily.
That was my best-case scenario. I would take that as a base-case in a heartbeat, but when second line is the upside as of Draft Day ... oh boy. Callahan was one of my all-time favorite Rangers; still missing his leadership and physicality. He was a true soldier.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I can still see Andersson having some reasonable scoring success in the NHL. I just don't see it being with the Rangers. Feels like more than just a situation where a prospect has stalled and I think it's better for the player and the team to part ways.

after 2 -3 years of being drafted in 2017, some fans have no patience at all. I bet some fans will do this to Kakko in 2 years if he does not scored 20 + goals in either of the next 2 seasons

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
neither lis nor brett does much for me

i find both to be rather bland. each has far too many shifts where nothing is accomplished other than some average skating and some trying hard.

both are short on results.

so far....

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I would take Callahand or Dubinksy. Easily.
I would too. But to date I don't see any sign that he has the motor that either of them did. He lacks the will that Callahan had and he lacks the attitude that Dubinsky had.

He's falling in the same category as Anderson is in: a guy who needs to find a way to be noticed (in a positive way). Figure out what kind of player you are, what you need to do to add value and do it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's falling in the same category as Anderson is in: a guy who needs to find a way to be noticed (in a positive way). Figure out what kind of player you are, what you need to do to add value and do it.
It is up to him to get noticed. My feeling is that the rebuild is being run very much like some of corporate America. Up or out.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If this guy had a goal for every aspect of hockey he's good at, he'd have as many goals as Henrik Lundqvist.

Howden is big, strong, fast, intelligent and decently skilled... and yet he is atrocious at both ends of the ice.

I do not understand Brett Howden.

I will probably never understand Brett Howden.

Reactions: UnSandvich

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Fortunately he got moved to the 4th line and his ice time is extremely limited. Is it shocking to anyone that since that happened, the team has the puck more and gets more chances? Obviously getting Zibanejad back helps, but his role being reduced to a 4th line role helps the team significantly. His impact on the team's possession and scoring chances becomes minimal.

If there is no improvement for the remainder of the season, it's going to be time to start looking outside of the organization for a potential center option.

The less and less he improves, the more and more likely Strome is here the remainder of the way AND is on the roster next season.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad