Player Discussion Brett Howden

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
can anyone provide how howden's fancy stats look since moving to wing? still a small sample size but just curious since i know they weren't very good at center

Since December 22nd (per Naturalstattrick):

CF% = 44.9%
FF% = 43.7%
xGF% - 42.2%
HDCF% = 46.8%

So still terrible. His PDO also looks to be leaning towards the "lucky" side of the spectrum over that time frame.

Reactions: Leetch3

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Aren't those stats significantly improved?

Wouldn't be able to tell you.

I've stopped checking advanced stats for the team until we're good again; because the team is young and ass, I don't think the picture they paint is necessarily indicative of where some of these guys will be at when it matters in a couple years.

Plus, they're f***ing depressing.

edit - I will say that from a brief scan of his numbers prior to being moved to wing, they looked pretty similar.

Reactions: Leetch3

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Those stats are so worthless. Howden plays with 2 scrubs all the time. So don't expect him to improve. If he was playing with Bennett and Jankowski, his offensive numbers would improve once those guys found their games again. Smith, Halen, McKegg, etc.... Give me a break. Nobody would look good with those scrubs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Advanced stats aside, Howden has looked better in a less demanding role going to the wing. I thought he made some very good defensive plays against the Islanders the other night.

He still could be better. But I think he can naturally get better by maturing even more physically and gaining the experience. He will have an even better feel for the league. He needs to get stronger. He does get in on the forecheck very well and if he can improve on those areas he can make that part of his game a specialty that helps retrieve pucks leading to possession.

This coming from one of his biggest critics

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Howden does well when he's aggressive and goes to the net, plays a hard game and fights in the corners. He shows some good stuff. He also goes whole periods or games where he looks like he's lost and is totally ineffective. Not uncommon for a player his age to be inconsistent, but it would be nice to see him start playing that effective style on a more regular basis.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Howden does well when he's aggressive and goes to the net, plays a hard game and fights in the corners. He shows some good stuff. He also goes whole periods or games where he looks like he's lost and is totally ineffective. Not uncommon for a player his age to be inconsistent, but it would be nice to see him start playing that effective style on a more regular basis.
Howden is about to turn 22 and his whole game is predicated on being a gamer on the boards and around the net. I don't think he's going to significantly improve based on the fact that he's young. He's just not smart or talented tbh.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Howden is about to turn 22 and his whole game is predicated on being a gamer on the boards and around the net. I don't think he's going to significantly improve based on the fact that he's young. He's just not smart or talented tbh.

His whole game is not based on being a 'gamer'. From his time in juniors that's not true. He's always been a guy who has a real solid 2-way game an knows where to be on the ice. Unfortunately, for him and the Rangers, his style hasn't transitioned immediately to the NHL, probably because his speed ans strength are behind his competition. That's not surprising as he's 22 and his body type appears to be more lanky and wiry.

I think he has looked much improved on the wing keeping his game simple and winning board battles.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
His whole game is not based on being a 'gamer'. From his time in juniors that's not true. He's always been a guy who has a real solid 2-way game an knows where to be on the ice. Unfortunately, for him and the Rangers, his style hasn't transitioned immediately to the NHL, probably because his speed ans strength are behind his competition. That's not surprising as he's 22 and his body type appears to be more lanky and wiry.

I think he has looked much improved on the wing keeping his game simple and winning board battles.
okay then maybe gamer was a bad term but as you alluded to his ability to be defensively sound and physically engaged is limited by how unaware he is of where to be on the ice. he's also not very quick and loses a lot of 1 on 1 battles he engages in.

I'm sure he can bulk up but besides that he's been really dumb at the NHL level, with and without the puck. You can teach positioning but I think the fact that he's so unnoticable yet so bad is a product of the fact that his awareness and hockey IQ is really poor.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Those stats are so worthless. Howden plays with 2 scrubs all the time. So don't expect him to improve. If he was playing with Bennett and Jankowski, his offensive numbers would improve once those guys found their games again. Smith, Halen, McKegg, etc.... Give me a break. Nobody would look good with those scrubs.

he's been playing with chytil and kakko since being moved to wing

Reactions: haveandare

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What is the deal with Howden? What did Rangers see in him when they made a trade? What is preventing him from having more success in NHL? Why is his scoring worse than his rookie season?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What is the deal with Howden? What did Rangers see in him when they made a trade? What is preventing him from having more success in NHL? Why is his scoring worse than his rookie season?

Well I just don’t think he’s much more than a 4th line pker

He won’t be protected in expansion

Reactions: motopanekeku

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I remember Ola voiced some concerns over Howden's game before he made the jump and he was mostly right. This guy at minimum needs some AHL seasoning

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Howden is in Hajek territory for me where i want to send him to the A and don’t want to see him again barring massive improvement. he’s just a useless player.

what’s preventing him from having more success is that he sucks

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Howden's ceiling at this point is a defensive third liner than can pot you 15 goals, and that's fine because the Rangers need defensive forwards that can PK. I have no problem with Howdy if that's what he develops into; I never felt like he was supposed to or was going to be a 30 goal guy

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
So far, the McD trade looks like a bust.

Possibly, but knowing we’re not saddled with this makes me happy.

C18E1CD8-0262-4F07-AD52-8B9D67E168CE.png

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad