Recalled/Assigned: Brennan/Campbell/Kapanen/Lindberg up, Brown/Hyman/Valiev/Carrick down

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Doubt it.
I am sure all have been given a very personal meeting with the top dogs, sent on their way with a good words, and encouraging insight into their position with the team going forward.

That's fine - I'm not convinced that will not lessen the disappointment from Connor's end considering how well he's played, particularly on Tuesday.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Only Marlies I beleive to not be dressed for the Leafs are Sam Carrick and Colin Smith.

I thought after last year, like Leivo, Sam Carrick could be a contributor to the lineup at least on the fourth line

However, it looks like his time could e close to over with Toronto

Yeah, I don't see the issue with Levio. Seems like a good NHL player to me why is he getting snubbed?

Mad Brills*

Sam Carrick getting snubbed.

Don't count smith, because he's been here a month

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yeah, I don't see the issue with Levio. Seems like a good NHL player to me why is he getting snubbed?

I don't think he's getting snubbed they know what they have in him. He just has to get more consistent

Carrick is not part of their plan. Carrick played last year and hes not a top 6. We have enough of bottom 6. He brings nothing to this team

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's fine - I'm not convinced that will not lessen the disappointment from Connor's end considering how well he's played, particularly on Tuesday.

Brown was an emergency callup. There was no choice since we have come here to call players up and kick ass... and we're all out of call ups.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

I am sure he is disappointed, they wouldn't expect anything less; he will be hungry next year and still has a bunch of meaningful hockey to play for the Marlies. Close the book on the AHL with a solid run, maybe a championship, and have an inside track on a position come NHL camp.

When he was watching players around him get called up earlier in the year - Babcock said he kept his nose to the grind and never fussed. I am not worried about Connor, he has jumped over more than a few hurdles on his way; a demotion back to his playoff bound AHL team, wont phase him for a half second.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sam Carrick getting snubbed.

Don't count smith, because he's been here a month

What? Nobodys getting snubbed, there is six games left and they obviously just want to see how Brennan, Campbell, Kapanen and Lindberg do in these short stints so they can use it to evaluate what they have in each player.

We can hope it screws with the chemistry with the team who is something like 7-4-1 in their last 12 games, and we can drop the next six, because it's looking like this abysmal season has been all for naught.

Mad Brills*

What? Nobodys getting snubbed, there is six games left and they obviously just want to see how Brennan, Campbell, Kapanen and Lindberg do in these short stints so they can use it to evaluate what they have in each player.

We can hope it screws with the chemistry with the team who is something like 7-4-1 in their last 12 games, and we can drop the next six, because it's looking like this abysmal season has been all for naught.

because it's looking like this abysmal season has been all for naught.

Wrong.

Development of the kids has been good, babcock has shown he's a dman good coach, and the org is doing well on their plan.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I am sure he is disappointed, they wouldn't expect anything less; he will be hungry next year and still has a bunch of meaningful hockey to play for the Marlies. Close the book on the AHL with a solid run, maybe a championship, and have an inside track on a position come NHL camp.

When he was watching players around him get called up earlier in the year - Babcock said he kept his nose to the grind and never fussed. I am not worried about Connor, he has jumped over more than a few hurdles on his way; a demotion back to his playoff bound AHL team, wont phase him for a half second.

I'm sure Brown will be fine, as you pointed out he's dealt with things like this before.

I don't like the optics of it; seeing us close in some teams above us then sending Brown down after the way he's played.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
It wasn't a smart move at all.

So many people just think this management group can do no wrong for some reason.

If this was such a smart move... then why don't we see other GMs burn the first ELC year by having their top prospects play 10-20 games. You don't see other GMs do it because it's a dumb move.

The 3rd year of his ELC would have been such amazing value. We squandered it for nothing because this year is a write off anyways.

Wait a couple more years and you'll see how much this will come back to bite us in the butt.

I'm also in the camp that thinks burning the ELC year unnecessarily would be a mistake. But because I believe we have exceptional management, I think there must have been some more reason they went this route beyond that speculated elsewhere. I think there could have been a gentlemen's agreement between the two camps that Nylander would be given this "gift" under certain circumstances and these circumstances were met.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wrong.

Development of the kids has been good, babcock has shown he's a dman good coach, and the org is doing well on their plan.

There was never any question that Babcock wasnt a good coach.. if there was they wouldn't have handed him millions of dollars for 8 years. Yes the kids have looked good since being called up, obviously. But you're kidding yourself if they weren't hoping for a bottom 5 finish this year. Trading away Phaneuf, Kessel, Polak, Reimer, etc etc should speaks volumes of where their head was at, so no im not wrong. Losing all season is looking like it's been for nothing, since we're winning now. I'm glad to see the youngs playing well, but lets not act like you, or I, or anybody weren't hoping for a 1st OA pick this draft.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I'm also in the camp that thinks burning the ELC year unnecessarily would be a mistake. But because I believe we have exceptional management, I think there must have been some more reason they went this route beyond that speculated elsewhere. I think there could have been a gentlemen's agreement between the two camps that Nylander would be given this "gift" under certain circumstances and these circumstances were met.

What has to be remembered is they burnt a year of ELC not years till UFA. They are probably trying to stagger some of these contracts. Imagine "worst" case scenario in drafting Matthews and having Marner come up next year and then not burning a year of ELC from Nylander. At the same time you would have Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen etc. all coming up(for 2nd contracts) - that could be a serious problem for planning.

This may save money in the long run if Nylander takes a little while to come into form and if not they can still use him alone as a precedent for what to pay the next wave of kids.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
What has to be remembered is they burnt a year of ELC not years till UFA. They are probably trying to stagger some of these contracts. Imagine "worst" case scenario in drafting Matthews and having Marner come up next year and then not burning a year of ELC from Nylander. At the same time you would have Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen etc. all coming up(for 2nd contracts) - that could be a serious problem for planning.

This may save money in the long run if Nylander takes a little while to come into form and if not they can still use him alone as a precedent for what to pay the next wave of kids.

Yes, under certain senerios, I understand where it could possibly be beneficial to the team's negotiation position to expire Nylander's current contract one year earlier, but there is imo too many ifs and buts (unknowns) involved to give up the flexibility of having a good player under one more ELC year. The odds are that burning an ELC year is almost always beneficial to the player (if he is a good player) and therefore not so beneficial to the team. By doing what the Leafs did, they are "rewarding" Nylander. Assuming the management is competent (I do), then it must be for reasons like fulfilling a gentlemen's agreement....eg. in return for Nylander agreeing to develop in the AHL rather than staying in Sweden. Like others have said, if burning an ELC year was a good strategic move, why is it not proactively done elsewhere...eg why not burn off a year for Kapanen too?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Leafs don't really need to wait until Holland comes back to send nylander down.

1. Kadri
  2. Bozak
  3. Laich
  4. Froese

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Great move by the Leafs. Rewarding Campbell and Brennan. Don't you think this means something to other AHLers or potential other signees, that the Leafs look after EVERYONE in their organization.

And Nylander. What would Nylander and other youngsters feel is the Leafs did not reward his play by NOT playing him in the NHL? ELC be damned. Do the right thing. It does not affect his timing as UFA.

The players that get sent can get acquainted with their Marlie teammates hopefully for a long AHL playoff run. Carrick has never played for the Marlies,

Rewarding Campbell and Brennan can not be understated

Those two have been the rocks, the foundation that the marlies great season was built on.

Plus by doing it now, any chance of a player being disappointed will have time to get over it before the POs start.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
There was never any question that Babcock wasnt a good coach.. if there was they wouldn't have handed him millions of dollars for 8 years. Yes the kids have looked good since being called up, obviously. But you're kidding yourself if they weren't hoping for a bottom 5 finish this year. Trading away Phaneuf, Kessel, Polak, Reimer, etc etc should speaks volumes of where their head was at, so no im not wrong. Losing all season is looking like it's been for nothing, since we're winning now. I'm glad to see the youngs playing well, but lets not act like you, or I, or anybody weren't hoping for a 1st OA pick this draft.

THe Leafs have been in the bottom 5 for most of the year...

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Sam Carrick gets no love, he has definitely stepped up his game with all the kids gone.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Yes, under certain senerios, I understand where it could possibly be beneficial to the team's negotiation position to expire Nylander's current contract one year earlier, but there is imo too many ifs and buts (unknowns) involved to give up the flexibility of having a good player under one more ELC year. The odds are that burning an ELC year is almost always beneficial to the player (if he is a good player) and therefore not so beneficial to the team. By doing what the Leafs did, they are "rewarding" Nylander. Assuming the management is competent (I do), then it must be for reasons like fulfilling a gentlemen's agreement....eg. in return for Nylander agreeing to develop in the AHL rather than staying in Sweden. Like others have said, if burning an ELC year was a good strategic move, why is it not proactively done elsewhere...eg why not burn off a year for Kapanen too?

I wanted to chip in on this discussion. They probably don't see Kapanen as a slam dunk as much as they do Nylander and thus want a longer evaluation period. Look at a guy like Barkov. The Panthers got an amazing deal for him coming off his ELC at 6x5,9M. A guy like Kapanen will probably get a brigde after his ELC. Nylander is a guy who they want to give a Barkov type contract. Him getting it earlier and with a lesser track record keeps the AAV down.

The reason why this doesn't happen more often is because 1) teams who are tight on the cap want to keep players on their ELCs for as long as possible (the Leafs aren't) or 2) Teams see risk in committing to a guy early on. IMO Nylander's ability was good enough to start the year in the NHL but the Leafs decided to keep his RFA years intact which helps keeping his cost controlled even further.

This is a smart move if you ask me and if you are confident in Nylander's ability.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Very good tank move. Hyman, Brown and Carrick have all been big parts of our recent winning ways, this should help us finish off the season with some much needed losses.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry if this has been asked. Do we have any of our 4 call ups left to use? Like to give Bibeau a start or two in the last week.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Sorry if this has been asked. Do we have any of our 4 call ups left to use? Like to give Bibeau a start or two in the last week.

I think the 4th and last "regular" call-up was used on Andrew Campbell. (The other 3 were used on Nylander, Sparks, and Carrick iirc). So only "emergency" call-ups left for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad