Recalled/Assigned: Brennan/Campbell/Kapanen/Lindberg up, Brown/Hyman/Valiev/Carrick down

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
So they're sending Nylander down when Holland is back? Why again did they let him play more than 9 games?

Burning a year on Nylander's ELC is so stupid. I thought our management was supposed to be smart.

Actually it was pretty smart move. It has been gone through by several people here when Nylander played is 10th of the season.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Oh I like his game a lot but just think they have a little extra time to develop him yet before throwing him the show. Unfortunate set of circumstances? Waivers and all that.

I realize that (add Hunwick to the unfortunate set of circumstances:)) but if this management team is rewarding based on merit, than Valiev would have an excellent chance. IMO, he's been as good as or better than any D we've had this year not named Rielly, Gardiner or Carrick. I understand it's a small sample size but his play on the Marlies also contributes to this. He's been their best defenceman too.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
It's definitely a move to start bringing guys back down to the Marlies, as well as seeing what they have in the forwards, while giving Campbell (pay and NHL time) and Brennan (NHL time) a pat on the back for being leaders down there.

I could definitely see both staying on 1-way deals next year (Brennan is on one this year) if they feel we still need some leadership down there.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I've heard it explained that when the ELC is up they can sign Nylander for a lesser amount for longer term because he will have had 1 year less experience.

Exactly, burning a year of his elc gives him less time to earn that big raise.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This is great, leafs are rewarding likes of Brennan and Campbell with nhl money for a few days/weeks... For their hard work in the ahl. Bodes well for getting quality veterans in the future and building the organizational moral. Long ways to get out of the pit of being the worst place to play, and regularly having the coach that is considered the worst to play for (Wilson/Carlyle).... But we are well on our way to being a place players WANT to play,

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Actually it was pretty smart move. It has been gone through by several people here when Nylander played is 10th of the season.

It wasn't a smart move at all.

So many people just think this management group can do no wrong for some reason.

If this was such a smart move... then why don't we see other GMs burn the first ELC year by having their top prospects play 10-20 games. You don't see other GMs do it because it's a dumb move.

The 3rd year of his ELC would have been such amazing value. We squandered it for nothing because this year is a write off anyways.

Wait a couple more years and you'll see how much this will come back to bite us in the butt.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

So many people just think this management group can do no wrong for some reason.

If this was such a smart move... then why don't we see other GMs burn the first ELC year by having their top prospects play 10-20 games. You don't see other GMs do it because it's a dumb move.

The 3rd year of his ELC would have been such amazing value. We squandered it for nothing because this year is a write off anyways.

Wait a couple more years and you'll see how much this will come back to bite us in the butt.

Or maybe they crunched the numbers and figured it'd be cheaper for the team long term to et him on that post ELC deal as soon as possible - or like a JVR type deal.

Time will tell if it pays off. I was initially supportive of not burning the ELC - but they've got a smart cap management guy so I'm sure this decision wasn't made lightly.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Really would have liked to see Sam Carrick come up with the month he's been having. But I guess Froese kind of ruins that hope.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Are you suggesting they weren't aware of the implications?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

I'll be waiting.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Are you suggesting they weren't aware of the implications?

they know the rules... I'm suggesting that there was a break in logic by playing him more than 9 games at the end of the season when we were out of playoff contention.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Great move by the Leafs. Rewarding Campbell and Brennan. Don't you think this means something to other AHLers or potential other signees, that the Leafs look after EVERYONE in their organization.

And Nylander. What would Nylander and other youngsters feel is the Leafs did not reward his play by NOT playing him in the NHL? ELC be damned. Do the right thing. It does not affect his timing as UFA.

The players that get sent can get acquainted with their Marlie teammates hopefully for a long AHL playoff run. Carrick has never played for the Marlies,

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He probably was too. 3 assists against one of the top team in the conference; then you get sent down for the next game.

I bet you he's kind of pissed actually.
Doubt it.
I am sure all have been given a very personal meeting with the top dogs, sent on their way with a good words, and encouraging insight into their position with the team going forward.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
they know the rules... I'm suggesting that there was a break in logic by playing him more than 9 games at the end of the season when we were out of playoff contention.

So they thought it through and weren't concerned.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Absolutely a tank related move with the idea of helping the development of some of the other younger guys .. Brown, Carrick, and Hyman were good enough to stick around
Maybe this also gets some of those guys back to the Marlies to gear them up for a playoff run

Not a tank move at all. They were planning on this for a while in order to be properly reacclimated to the Marlies in time for the playoffs. The only question was the timing. I had thought they would have waited until after tonight's game.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Having Nylander, Marner, and potentially Laine/Pulj/Matthews and Kap all expire the same year + others is a great idea. :rolleyes:

They knew exactly what they were doing, and it's a very smart idea, for multiple reasons. Keeps his deal cheaper, allowed him to get more NHL experience, spaces out expiring ELCs of top prospects, and I'm sure there are other reasons that the management group has that we haven't thought of.

Last edited:

CPFraser

Mar 25, 2016
Ottawa/Halifax, CAN
Only Marlies I beleive to not be dressed for the Leafs are Sam Carrick and Colin Smith.

I thought after last year, like Leivo, Sam Carrick could be a contributor to the lineup at least on the fourth line

However, it looks like his time could e close to over with Toronto

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
See they can claim they are trying to see what they have on the farm but really they bringing up Brennan to play #1 D minutes and he can blow by defensive assignments for the tank :)

CPFraser

Mar 25, 2016
Ottawa/Halifax, CAN

Only Nylander is losing his first year of ELC

And He's not getting big money right after his ELC, he will be a modest bridge first.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Exactly, burning a year of his elc gives him less time to earn that big raise.

This. Gotta keep his RFA contract cost down, since those are the years we will should be a cup contender as I can't really see us being one in just 3 years and needing every bit of that 3rd year ELC. So it makes sense to keep costs down going forward by sacrificing the 3rd year of his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad