Player Discussion Brendan Lemieux

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Muscle mass improves endurance? Have you seen marathon runners? Do they all look like big huge muscle guys or lean thin and wiry?

Come on man.
Hockey and marathon runners are COMPLETELY different energy systems.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Ever look at a sprinter's body? They are always jacked. That doesn't stop them from running 400M.
In fact the more leg muscle Lemieux has the less effort needed to skate.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Just realized that players like him are a rare breed nowadays. The closest name I came with is Roussel from the Nucks. He's far from Tom Wilson size wise (and skill wise), but if Lemieux could become something close to the Frenchie I'm alright with it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just realized that players like him are a rare breed nowadays. The closest name I came with is Roussel from the Nucks. He's far from Tom Wilson size wise (and skill wise), but if Lemieux could become something close to the Frenchie I'm alright with it.
Disagree. Yes, he 3 inches shorter, but he is less than 5 pounds lighter than Wilson. And 2 years younger. With some more conditioning, he can be a thick bodied tank.

In 63 games this year, primarily as a spare part 4th liner for the Jets, Lemieux scored 12 goals. It took Wilson 231 games to net 14 goals. He can become a better player than Wilson.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Disagree. Yes, he 3 inches shorter, but he is less than 5 pounds lighter than Wilson. And 2 years younger. With some more conditioning, he can be a thick bodied tank.

In 63 games this year, primarily as a spare part 4th liner for the Jets, Lemieux scored 12 goals. It took Wilson 231 games to net 14 goals. He can become a better player than Wilson.
Lemieux is a pest, a guy who go under the players skin, Wilson is an enforcer with good on ice vision. Totally different kind of players.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Reminds me of Cal Clutterbuck when he came up with the Wild. Hoping he can become more than a bottom 6 player, but that is a very useful player though.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lemieux is a pest, a guy who go under the players skin, Wilson is an enforcer with good on ice vision. Totally different kind of players.
Lemieux is a pest. He also has absolutely no problem coming to the aid of a teammate and no problem dropping the gloves. I doubt that the 3 pound differential is the dileniation between "enforcer" and "pest".

Again, look at Wilson's first 231 game sin the league. I doubt anyone was crowing about his good on-ice vision then. I see no reason as to why Lemieux cannot be better than Wilson. As a matter of fact, I would be disappointed if he was not.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Reminds me of Cal Clutterbuck when he came up with the Wild. Hoping he can become more than a bottom 6 player, but that is a very useful player though.
Didn't realize Clutterbuck stats were that good in junior.

Actually very similar to Lemieux, I guess time will tell!

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Lemieux is a pest. He also has absolutely no problem coming to the aid of a teammate and no problem dropping the gloves. I doubt that the 3 pound differential is the dileniation between "enforcer" and "pest".
I don’t see the delineation either. Wilson has more experience and a longer reach, he can’t out muscle someone like Lemieux. Wilson may get a decision vs. Lemieux but it won’t be an “enforcer” beating up a “pest”.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t see the delineation either. Wilson has more experience and a longer reach, he can’t out muscle someone like Lemieux. Wilson may get a decision vs. Lemieux but it won’t be an “enforcer” beating up a “pest”.
Yeah, let's not make Wilson sound like Chara when it is time to drop the gloves.

Lemieux should be the better player over his career. That is not to disparage Wilson, but Lemieux is a far more talented player. And equally as tough.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Again, look at Wilson's first 231 game sin the league. I doubt anyone was crowing about his good on-ice vision then. I see no reason as to why Lemieux cannot be better than Wilson. As a matter of fact, I would be disappointed if he was not.

Wilson is also getting force fed minutes with Washington's top players...he's just good enough to take advantage of that or be useful for it but not realyl skilled enough to play that effectively away from the stars that carry him offensively

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Where does this rank for best trades we've made? Has to be up there. Also, considering how little run Winnipeg got out of Hayes, they must not be happy with it on their end.

Reactions: pld459666

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm still not ready to say that he is a third liner. I see more ability than that.
Agreed. Not sure where in the middle 6 he will slot in, but the potential is there. My comparison was a modern Mommeso. A belligerent middle 6 presence who is miserable to play against and also not a stranger to contributing on the score sheet.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Where does this rank for best trades we've made? Has to be up there. Also, considering how little run Winnipeg got out of Hayes, they must not be happy with it on their end.
Imagine we package this plus Kreider to get into top 10 for Zegras. Or if someone like Seider, Newhook falls.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

darko

Feb 16, 2009

We don't know yet. If we nail pick #20 this will be an all time bad trade.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Lemieux is a pretty tough individual and fights pretty well but no I don't look at him as being as tough as Wilson. They are a bit different and it took Wilson a while (and getting to play a lot with the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov doesn't hurt) to put together a pretty decent offensive game. Ultimately I see Lemieux being a productive 3rd liner--if you'd ask me about 4 years ago I would have said the same about Wilson so who knows--sometimes it depends on the kind of opportunities that players get.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Next season will say a lot about Lemieux actual potential. His time with Winnipeg was useless as his average time was around 8 min.

Actually I think Lemieux fitted perfectly the Jets, it's just that their squad was crowded up front.

I just hope to see the Lemieux from OHL, good hands, crashing the net, battling on the boards, master at redirect the puck.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ultimately I see Lemieux being a productive 3rd liner--if you'd ask me about 4 years ago I would have said the same about Wilson so who knows--sometimes it depends on the kind of opportunities that players get.
And he might be just that. Or he could be more of a 2nd line player. Again, 12 goals in 63 games, the majority of which he was used as a spare part 4th liner. Sure he needs developmental time, but that is natural. Heck, Chytil netted 11 goals in 75 games. I think that it is a bit too early to simply pigeonhole Lemieux is "nothing" but a third liner. He could be more.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

It it winds up being a Sieder/York/Kaliyev + Lemiuux for 3 months of Hayes, thats a fantastic trade.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Who was his linemates with NY?
nz9MaL6.png

This is Top 10 commonest linemates at 5v5 from 0-100% (the bigger the bar, the higher % of 5v5 TOI he spent with them)

Looks like it was mostly Buchnevich and then a rotation at center with Zibanejad/Lias/Howden.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad