Player Discussion Brendan Lemieux

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Could he be? Yeah probably, at least in my opinion.

Will he get the chance this year? Tough to say. Even with Kreider's spot potentially opening up there's no guarantee DQ puts him there.

20 goals is a big ask for a 3rd/4th liner at ES without a PP role.
Agreed. I just hope he gets a chance. Certainly worth it to see. We have seen too much prancing on the perimeter over the years on the PP.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Lemieux is a pest, a guy who go under the players skin, Wilson is an enforcer with good on ice vision. Totally different kind of players.
Wilson is playing in the only era where an enforcer label could even loosely be applied to him. The only place he's a heavyweight is on the scale.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m not saying he’ll approach 52 or even 38 goals in a season but I continue to see a lot of 1991 Graves in Lemieux. Both in their age 23 seasons, given bigger roles than they had previously, I see another breakout in the making.
And he puts in the work. Apparently works on his puck deflection skills constantly.

Again, I believe that if and when Kreider is traded, that Lemieux takes his spot as the body in front of the net on PP1.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He reminds of Hollweg in how he looks (stocky and dat flow) and his lockerroom presence. That's where the similarity begins and ends thankfully.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's kind of an under the radar aspect of building this team, but the long-term impact of Lemieux being more of a 20-25/50 point wing, compared to a 15 goal, 35 point could have a substantial impact on the makeup of this team going forward.

I think he's more or less shown that 15 goal/35 point plateau isn't out of the question for him. If he can consistently hit that next level --- an extra 5+ goals, 15+ points, it really does change the dynamic of our more finesse-oriented top two lines.

Now, if he stays on that third line, that's fine too and very useful. But you can definitely see why there's that desire to find out if he can be a bit more.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I’m not saying he’ll approach 52 or even 38 goals in a season but I continue to see a lot of 1991 Graves in Lemieux. Both in their age 23 seasons, given bigger roles than they had previously, I see another breakout in the making.
It's funny you mention this. I said last year that I see a little Graves in him. Not saying he will score, but there are similarities, leadership, physical play, willingness to do in the tough places, will drop the gloves, scores some dirty, garbage goals a good teammate.

Reactions: E-Train

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Now, if he stays on that third line, that's fine too and very useful. But you can definitely see why there's that desire to find out if he can be a bit more.
Again then I see his potential, I see a modern day Sergio Mommeso. A physical, belligerent presence in the middle 6. And I see no reason he cannot be a Holmstrom type player on the PP.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Definitely had that vibe that his ceiling could be higher when he was frequently discussed in trade discussions here.

I also feel like we specifically chose him in that Hayes trade; he was no 'throw in'.

Lovin' this kid.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Definitely had that vibe that his ceiling could be higher when he was frequently discussed in trade discussions here.

I also feel like we specifically chose him in that Hayes trade; he was no 'throw in'.

Lovin' this kid.

Too many times we arbitrarily assign guys a role as the "throw-in" and it's not an approach that Gorton and company employ.

ADA was not a "throw-in" in the Stepan deal, and Lemieux wasn't a "throw-in" in the Hayes deals. Both guys were specifically targeted by this organization as potential components.

With regards to Lemieux, I feel fairly confident in saying he would've been the Rangers pick in 2014 if they had kept their pick. He's an example of a guy they've tracked for a while.

There are more out there today. There will be guys whose names you heard from the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts who will stay on radars well into the 2020s.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Too many times we arbitrarily assign guys a role as the "throw-in" and it's not an approach that Gorton and company employ.

ADA was not a "throw-in" in the Stepan deal, and Lemieux wasn't a "throw-in" in the Hayes deals. Both guys were specifically targeted by this organization as potential components.

With regards to Lemieux, I feel fairly confident in saying he would've been the Rangers pick in 2014 if they had kept their pick. He's an example of a guy they've tracked for a while.

There are more out there today. There will be guys whose names you heard from the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts who will stay on radars well into the 2020s.

It's all just another huge testament to Gorts. His guys in these trades have been turning out to be pretty damn great. The guy has a vision and it's proving to be fantastic so far.

Lemmy playing with confidence is so huge for this team, should be a core piece of this team going forward. Guys you win with.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Considering his chemistry with Kakko, I wouldn't mind seeing him ride shotgun to a Zibanejad/Kakko line when Zibby gets back and leave Strome with Panarin.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Lindgren is another.

I'd love to find a way to pry Pekar out of Buffalo.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Considering his chemistry with Kakko, I wouldn't mind seeing him ride shotgun to a Zibanejad/Kakko line when Zibby gets back and leave Strome with Panarin.

Totally agree. The chemistry between Lemieux and Kakko is palpable. And it's not a coincidence that Kakko's play picked up just about the same time when Quinn put him with Lemieux. Lemieux gives Kakko a little bit more room to operate and he's gotten quite a bit better the last few week along the wall and not giving up the puck as much as he was the first two weeks.

Tho I haven't minded Howden at all between the two of them, putting Mika between Kakko and Lemieux would be very intriguing and potentially quite productive. Hopefully Quinn gives this a shot...

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Lemuiex is that glue guy that everyone needs. You see his reaction on the KK OT winner against Pitt. Kid is a heart and soul guy and about as old school as it gets. You keep a guy like that as long as possible until his value no longer meets his market worth. See Fast as an example. RFA Fast is worth every penny, open market Fast will be overpaid.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like lemieux... And again I'd like to see actual data instead of eye test stuff because we'll clearly we all disagree on him.. I'm just honestly not even 100% sure which is the best data to pull... Usually @SA16 knows which stats are some of the best to look at.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lemuiex is that glue guy that everyone needs. You see his reaction on the KK OT winner against Pitt. Kid is a heart and soul guy and about as old school as it gets. You keep a guy like that as long as possible until his value no longer meets his market worth. See Fast as an example. RFA Fast is worth every penny, open market Fast will be overpaid.
you think a desperate team would offer a 1st or a high 2ed round pick for Fast, or would the Rangers get back not much and it would be better to overpay resigning him like 3.5 per year for example? not that I would but I can see a team being desperate enough to overpay for him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
you think a desperate team would offer a 1st or a high 2ed round pick for Fast, or would the Rangers get back not much and it would be better to overpay resigning him like 3.5 per year for example?
Neither. No team is giving a 1st round pick for him. And no, the Rangers cannot afford to pay him $3.5m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad