Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic has been claimed by the Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sure, but it all comes down to one simple question ...

Who do we have that is better?

Outside of the 'Big 4' (Bo, Brock, EP, and - for now - Baertschi), there is literally no "good" option to round out the top 6. This frames the choice more as who is the "least worst" option. I'd immediately throw out Eriksson, Gagner, Sutter, and the 3 recent UFAs. Which leaves Leipsic, Goldobin, Granlund, Virtanen, Motte, and Dahlen as the only options on the board. Virtanen plays too simple a game to work with EP. Granlund is too soft retrieving pucks and too low event offensively. Dahlen will eventually get there but seems destined for Utica. Motte simply has no skill. So that really leaves just Leipsic and Goldobin as the best remaining options. I'm not convinced they are *great* options, but they seem to be the best of a quite bad lot.
Guess it depends on line construction... And what lines you are looking to fill in.

Imo... I think the 2 open spots in the top 6 with by filled by 2 of Leipsic, Goldobin, Eriksson and my wildcard - Roussel - but now not till well into the season. I do think Eriksson is still a top 6 option.

Thru everything we've seen and heard... The potential fit for Leipsic could be as Horvat's LW.

Baertschi-EP-X
X-Horvat-Boeser

Or.. depending on how they look tonight, maybe EP-Boeser is tried and works... if:

X-EP-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-X
^I don't think I like the idea of Leipsic along side EP.

This 'feels' better if you are going to put Leipsic in:
Baertschi-EP-Boeser/X
Leipsic-Horvat-X/Boeser

I guess we'll see how it shakes itself out...

Blessing in disguise is if Roussel starts the season on IR is it will afford us an extra body to retain and continue to experiment vs NHL rosters...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leipsic is still a mystery....great wheels and dangerous in the offensive zone but an undersized winger who gets abused in his own zone along the wall. There has to be a reason why he's now on his fourth organization, with the Preds, Leafs and Knights deeming him expendable.

But since Jimbo swapped out Holm to get him, a guy who never played a single game for Vegas and is now back home in Europe, I guess you have to cut the deal some slack. Just can't see how there's enough room to keep both Leipsic and Goldobin, but I guess that's what training camp and the exhibition schedule is all about to find out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Then perhaps the question to ask, is if Leipsic has earned the right to get 16+ minutes a night on this team?

My answer is No.

Not necessarily the best indicator, but I thought he was easily our best forward last night.

And be played over 19 minutes. He is capable of being the best player on the ice in a particular game, but his past history suggests he isn’t a 20+ goal scorer even if you give him 2nd or 1st line opportunities and to me he doesn’t appear to be skilled enough to play that offensive role. Burrows in his prime was simply effective in his minutes period. Hansen was also effective even if you played him under 16 minutes a game. If Leipsic is given 13-14 minutes a night will be be effective? He wasn’t last year.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
My answer is No.

And be played over 19 minutes. He is capable of being the best player on the ice in a particular game, but his past history suggests he isn’t a 20+ goal scorer even if you give him 2nd or 1st line opportunities and to me he doesn’t appear to be skilled enough to play that offensive role. Burrows in his prime was simply effective in his minutes period. Hansen was also effective even if you played him under 16 minutes a game. If Leipsic is given 13-14 minutes a night will be be effective? He wasn’t last year.
Last night he was playing against a team that would struggle in the AHL and maybe would struggle in the ECHL....he didn't dominate and showed his usual flaws. He will not stick on a competitive NHL team, imho.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Last night he was playing against a team that would struggle in the AHL and maybe would struggle in the ECHL....he didn't dominate and showed his usual flaws. He will not stick on a competitive NHL team, imho.

Irrelevant

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Wouldn't be sad to see Schaller go down either, but Schaller has some more size at 6'2 and 204lbs to Leipsic's 5'10 179lbs listed.

Sure skill and speed is better, but Leipsic hasn't been doing anything lately.

Put Schaller back on a line with Beagle, and Motte/Virtanen and he fits more than with Horvat... where does Leipsic fit?

Reactions: Jack Burton

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Remember when Leipsic was trotted out as some big trade success for Benning?

Remember when people thought this team was rebuilding? The same team that just waived youth to make room for the old veteran Benning overpaid for in the summer....

:laugh:

People love making up excuses for Benning. People love making up narratives for Benning, and every year Benning embarrasses those people by continuing to do stupid things that forces them to make up more nonsense and move further away from reality to grasp at straws and defend him. It's quite hilarious.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
giphy.gif

Reactions: THE Green Man

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wouldn't be sad to see Schaller go down either, but Schaller has some more size at 6'2 and 204lbs to Leipsic's 5'10 179lbs listed.

Sure skill and speed is better, but Leipsic hasn't been doing anything lately.

Put Schaller back on a line with Beagle, and Motte/Virtanen and he fits more than with Horvat... where does Leipsic fit?
The coaching staff liked what Gaudette brought more than Leipsic...obvious choice to be the odd man out....Lots of show,but no go.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Schmaltz and Debrincat took major steps this year and Saad clearly didn’t rekindle his old magic with Toews.

If the Canucks fan sell Chicago on Baertschi being a guy that can fit with Kane at a fraction of Panarian’s cap hit and also add an asset they might consider it.
Dream on fantasyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad