Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic has been claimed by the Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
There doesn't seem to be a thread about Leipsic unless I missed it. I think he's an interesting prospect. He shows a lot of flashes of offensive talent, but holy moly is he bad defensively. It's not even just weak defensive play like Baertschi or Goldobin, it looks like he doesn't even try. Just floating waiting to break out while the other team dominates in our zone.

What does everyone else think about him? Hopes and expectations for next year?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Another project player on a team that has way too many reclamation projects.

Too many reclamation projects isn't a bad thing, imo. This team badly needs to develop at least one more top-6 forward from players on its current roster (not including prospects) to go along with Boeser and Horvat. That means from the list that includes Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen and Gaunce, it would be nice to get a top-6 forward out of this group.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Too many reclamation projects isn't a bad thing, imo. This team badly needs to develop at least one more top-6 forward from players on its current roster (not including prospects) to go along with Boeser and Horvat. That means from the list that includes Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen and Gaunce, it would be nice to get a top-6 forward out of this group.
It would be nice, but development means giving all those players ice time which they may not deserve. If we are playing these guys because we have no better options, we are in for another long season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It would be nice, but development means giving all those players ice time which they may not deserve. If we are playing these guys because we have no better options, we are in for another long season.

I'm interested in seeing all those players get ice time. I've no doubt that it will be a long season, with youth the only thing to cheer for.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

The problem is we overpay to acquire underachieving vets to try to fill the holes in our weak roster

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
When he's in the other team's zone I like him.

Is he going to get the same ridiculously long leash he did last season though? More double standards. Management needs to get together and collectively decide to let the younger guys go through their growing pains.

Like all the guys we have with skill just need to become semi-competent on D. Don't turn it over, get better at assessing when to make a risky play. We need to stop trying to turn everyone into a Selke winner.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He suprised. Keep him. He deserves a shot cause of his effort level and skill

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Fine with keeping him around for now. If he can develop some chemistry within our top 6 he’s a cheap option that every team needs.

As others above have said... if he’s just filler material and doesn’t shock the world, he’ll be replaced within the top 6 and then he’ll move on elsewhere.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There doesn't seem to be a thread about Leipsic unless I missed it. I think he's an interesting prospect. He shows a lot of flashes of offensive talent, but holy moly is he bad defensively. It's not even just weak defensive play like Baertschi or Goldobin, it looks like he doesn't even try. Just floating waiting to break out while the other team dominates in our zone.

What does everyone else think about him? Hopes and expectations for next year?

He's a lot better defensively than Goldobin.

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
The Canucks are in a transition. We have already seen what Baertschi can do and Granlund (yuck), why not give the kid a chance and see if he has the chops? The team will be terrible for at leafy one more year if not two, so why fart around with middling talents? Try a few out and see if you hit on one or two. To me Baertschi is a decent player , but that’s all he is... decent. If he returns a good young d prospect or a second rounder ship his ass out.

I liked Leipsics hands and quickness. Maybe there’s a player there.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Leipsic is a person you keep on the 4th line for energy, will produce 20-30 points, and is bound to have a monster playoff round in him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leipsic showed flashes of offensive brilliance, but then goes quiet for a few games and you have to check the program to find out if he even played....at times you can see why the guy was an offensive dynamo with Portland in the WHL, and Green seems to love his former Winterhawks. But you also have to wonder why he's now on his fourth NHL organization and always seems to be expendable.

He's the forward equivalent of Derek Pouliot....a project who at least would bring some speed to the third and fourth line....but could be hard-pressed to earn a roster spot in training camp.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I didn't pay much attention to the games after the deadline but in my limited viewings he seemed alright. Definitely wouldn't mind giving him a good luck next year and dumping granlund.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But you also have to wonder why he's now on his fourth NHL organization and always seems to be expendable.

Don't have to wonder. He was traded to Toronto in a pricey deadline deal. He was then picked up in expansion draft. He was traded to the Canucks to make room for roster upgrades and the fact he couldn't finish at all on one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

I like Leipsic, but he is at most 5'10" 180lbs and likely less than that.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He just doesn't look very engaged out there. Floats around waiting for the puck to come to him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Leipsic is probably the best "project" acquisition we've made in the Benning era.

High standards, I know.

Agree. As much as I dislike these types of acquisitions in general, at least Leipsic seems to possess some of the qualities that make this type of “gamble” worthwhile. Skilled but small, struggles defensively, and never a high pick. This is the type of player that gets overlooked and *sometimes* pans out. Not that I have high hopes for Leipsic but I like him 100x better than Motte and we even got him for the less valuable asset (Holm). If he finds his offensive game next season he could be a good top 6 placeholder for us during the dark years of this rebuild. And if not, well it only cost us Holm anyway.

Reactions: lindgren

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
I was obviously exciting watching him in the first five games, then he disappeared.

I think he's aware of his continuity problems (I remember his words after the first game in Canucks' jersey). If he will be able to fix them, he will become a value piece for the future.

You can't teach skills.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He's a pain in the ass, we need more players like that. He'll be a staple in the bottom six for years to come along with Virtanen and Archibald.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hopefully traded at some point next year. Just dont get the love for him and dont see a spot in the lineup unless its a 13th forward or somehow gets games over Gaunce

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Looks like a coach's pet project. At least we didn't give up a lot to do this. So Benning and co are not throwing away seconds on Linden Vey's anymore thankfully. Fourths for Pouliots are still bad. Hopefully we stop spending picks on these type of players in future.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever Leipsic morphs into, at least he's finally got the right coach to be all he can be....Green seems to cut some slack to those former Winterhaws he's coached...obviously Pouliot is another Portland project. At least Leipsic has a proven record of scoring at the AHL level if they have to send him to Utica....but doubt he'd clear waivers.

Reactions: dwarf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad