Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic has been claimed by the Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Leipsic has been a pleasant surprise, no complaints from me. Should be a solid bottom 6er for us moving forward

The Flow

Jan 30, 2018
Hong Kong
I don't understand why anyone wants to trade Baertschi. He's still young and it should be apparent you need 4 good lines in this league to win. Sven plays a hard 200ft game and brings enough skill, sense and execution to play in a scoring role. He's not a guy you'll have to pay a ton of money. He's also a guy you can win with, I think. He has a history of showing up when it counts. Those guys are good value in the cap world.

Even if you don't like him he's the only legit LW on the team. Leipsic and Goldobin have a ways to go to become that. Canucks could probably use another Baertschi, if anything.

Agree but only if we can sign him on a cheap-ish contract. Happy with 3m.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can easily see him developing into a Marchand for us as he gets more experience and ice time.

What a steal.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Can easily see him developing into a Marchand for us as he gets more experience and ice time.

What a steal.

You see him as a 80 point scorer who is a borderline MVP candidate? I think you should lower your expectations, at Leipsics current age Marchand was posting a 28g / 55 pt season.

I am really surprised we arent playing for the cup this spring with all the steals on the team.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012

What a steal.
Depends on which Marchand you mean, the one who in his 28 and 29 year old seasons is putting up 85pt seasons or the 50-60pt player before that. Leipsic I do think has 50-60pt potential though I don't think its likely it happens. IMO more likely he regresses production next season (in comparison to the pace he had with the canucks last season) and we all go sour on him.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

What a steal.

Maybe in terms of POSness but Marchand has elite puck skills and has the 6th best points per game over the past 3 seasons, not sure Leipsic has that in him even with more ice time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leipsic has 16 PIM in 64 NHL games. He isn't Marchand.

He played that style in junior 5 years ago but it's basically disappeared from his game in pro.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Does anyone know if Leipsic has been tried at centre much in the NHL? Or has he been a winger during his NHL time?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Does anyone know if Leipsic has been tried at centre much in the NHL? Or has he been a winger during his NHL time?

Looking at his faceoff stats he has taken 17 faceoffs in 64 games

gonna go with no

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
predicting that hes watching marchand at home and learning that hes got what it takes

will score 33 goals and 32 assists with Bo and Brock in the upcoming season

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Leipsic has 16 PIM in 64 NHL games. He isn't Marchand.

He played that style in junior 5 years ago but it's basically disappeared from his game in pro.

That's mostly because he didn't do much as a Golden Knight. He had 10PIM in 14 games here. 30 in 49 in the AHL the year before. 55 in 65 the year before in the AHL. He had a higher PIM rate in teh AHL playoffs. But no he's not Marchand and he never was (he's not a dirty player).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's mostly because he didn't do much as a Golden Knight. He had 10PIM in 14 games here. 30 in 49 in the AHL the year before. 55 in 65 the year before in the AHL. He had a higher PIM rate in teh AHL playoffs. But no he's not Marchand and he never was (he's not a dirty player).

He was one of the dirtiest rats I've ever seen in the WHL. For whatever reason, that part of his game disappeared when he turned pro. Which is good in some ways and bad in others.

Most of his 10 PIM here were tripping penalties and a couple accidental high sticks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
predicting that hes watching marchand at home and learning that hes got what it takes

will score 33 goals and 32 assists with Bo and Brock in the upcoming season
Yeah your the same guy who predicted from the future wed win the draft lotto so not buying what your selling pal :shakehead

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was one of the dirtiest rats I've ever seen in the WHL. For whatever reason, that part of his game disappeared when he turned pro. Which is good in some ways and bad in others.

That's surprising. I thought you have seen plenty of WHL games in your lifetime.

Did he get suspended for elbowing someone in the head on a blindside hit? Did he get suspended for lowbridge someone the way Marchand did to Salo? Did he get suspended for slew footing someone? Did he get suspended for clipping someone? Did he trip someone the way Marchand tripped Kronwall? Did he lick someone in the face?

Most of his 10 PIM here were tripping penalties and a couple accidental high sticks.

And why are you equating PIM to playing a "Marchand type game" in the first place? Playing an agitating, border-line, and or aggressive game may inevitably lead to PIMs, but it's not a necessary result.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's surprising. I thought you have seen plenty of WHL games in your lifetime.

Did he get suspended for elbowing someone in the head on a blindside hit? Did he get suspended for lowbridge someone the way Marchand did to Salo? Did he get suspended for slew footing someone? Did he get suspended for clipping someone? Did he trip someone the way Marchand tripped Kronwall? Did he lick someone in the face?

And why are you equating PIM to playing a "Marchand type game" in the first place? Playing an agitating, border-line, and or aggressive game may inevitably lead to PIMs, but it's not a necessary result.

Um ... Leipsic was suspended 3 times in his final WHL season alone and I believe 5 times in total during his time in Portland. And yes, one of them was for an absolutely brutal flying blindside hit. I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me here. The guy is arguably the most hated rat/cheapshot artist to play in the WHL in the last decade, and I'm not saying anything remotely controversial by saying that.

And of course PIMs are a measure of physical play. And the guy went from 111 in 60 games in Portland (which is actually 170-180 since the CHL doesn't include misconducts) to 22 in 74 games as a pro rookie.

The guy changed his game when he turned pro. I don't know why and I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Um ... Leipsic was suspended 3 times in his final WHL season alone and I believe 5 times in total during his time in Portland. And yes, one of them was for an absolutely brutal flying blindside hit. I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me here. The guy is arguably the most hated rat/cheapshot artist to play in the WHL in the last decade, and I'm not saying anything remotely controversial by saying that.

And of course PIMs are a measure of physical play. And the guy went from 111 in 60 games in Portland (which is actually 170-180 since the CHL doesn't include misconducts) to 22 in 74 games as a pro rookie.

The guy changed his game when he turned pro. I don't know why and I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing.
Lol...President Barack Obama once described Marchand as "that little ball of hate". I imagine Leipsic was told to tone it down if he expected to survive in pro hockey. But now on his fourth NHL organization, maybe it's time let 'er rip. Obviously Green loved his game in Portland, despite all the penalties, cheap-shots and run-ins with officials.

And Lord knows the Canucks need more grit and growl in their forward lines. They're soft as jello right now.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Lol...President Barack Obama once described Marchand as "that little ball of hate". I imagine Leipsic was told to tone it down if he expected to survive in pro hockey. But now on his fourth NHL organization, maybe it's time let 'er rip. Obviously Green loved his game in Portland, despite all the penalties, cheap-shots and run-ins with officials.

And Lord knows the Canucks need more grit and growl in their forward lines. They're soft as jello right now.

I think Green loved his 120 points more than anything else. I’m not so sure he wants the same antics from a 5’10 bottom 6 forward who can’t fight his own battles or puts his team on the PK.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Did you watch any Canucks games when he played...?

Yes I watched every game. He looks like he may be the best reclamation project to date for Benning. However, games in the last 20 of the year, are mean nothing games when you are not in the playoff picture.

I am looking forward to see how he plays in the first 20 of the season. When all the teams are competing to win.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

If you are playing a borderline game it will, by definition, result in PIMs. Otherwise it’s not “borderline”.

The best of them - Marchand and Cooke - are close to a 1 minute per game average. Leipsic has 16 in 64 games or 0.25.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter10

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Green loved his 120 points more than anything else. I’m not so sure he wants the same antics from a 5’10 bottom 6 forward who can’t fight his own battles or puts his team on the PK.
You could be right, but it seems most successful teams have at least one player that everybody hates out there but would love to have on their team....can't think of a a single Canuck forward to even remotely fits that description right now There's no grit, or spit-in-your eye feisty play from anybody. Burrows used to play that way and everybody condemned him for it, but in his prime there wasn't an NHL team who wouldn't have wanted him.

According to Drew Doughty, Matthew Tkachuk is the most hated player in the NHL....but would he look better on the Canucks right now than Juolevi? Ya think?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You could be right, but it seems most successful teams have at least one player that everybody hates out there but would love to have on their team....can't think of a a single Canuck forward to even remotely fits that description right now There's no grit, or spit-in-your eye feisty play from anybody. Burrows used to play that way and everybody condemned him for it, but in his prime there wasn't an NHL team who wouldn't have wanted him.

According to Drew Doughty, Matthew Tkachuk is the most hated player in the NHL....but would he look better on the Canucks right now than Juolevi? Ya think?

If Brady Tkachuk is sitting there at #7 you may just get your wish. Not my preferred pick but I can see the value in a player like that. If we were 2-3 years further into our rebuild I’d be much more interested in adding a piece like that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

now watch FANS magic disappearing act

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I like that Leipsic brings some speed and skill to this team (bit different than the 'big and tough' philosophy that Benning was spewing for a bit), but I ultimately see him as a tweener - he'll hold down a roster spot until some of our prospects are ready for the show.

Would love for him to show he can do more and put up some good numbers in an offensive role, but that's how I see him at the moment. A bit like Baertschi. (which would be a really nice return on that trade if he even pans out that high)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad