Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic has been claimed by the Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Leipsic probably would have been waived eventually, but I see no good reason in a meritocracy why we wouldn’t waive Schaller first.

Schaller has shown the ability to score 30 points centering a shutdown line while playing very good hockey for a playoff team who was sad to see him go.

A meritocracy isn’t “what have you done for me in the last two weeks?” Schaller’s body of work as recently as last season - mere months ago - is sufficient enough to say his roster spot is merited.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Claimed by the Kings, according to Sportsnet 650.

...maybe he fits better there? He really didn't seem to gel with any of our scoring lines this season though.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Schaller has shown the ability to score 30 points centering a shutdown line while playing very good hockey for a playoff team who was sad to see him go.

A meritocracy isn’t “what have you done for me in the last two weeks?” Schaller’s body of work as recently as last season - mere months ago - is sufficient enough to say his roster spot is merited.

25 games in 2 weeks is impressive.

Unfortunately his body of work as a Canuck at a third of the way through the season is . . . less impressive.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why didnt we just trade Leipsic LA for Kopitar?

Wanted Leipsic to be in Utica to give our kids some actual talent to play with.

All the best to Brendan.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Sadly Leipsic for an open contract spot is probably one of jims better trades

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

You’re wrong, as usual.

Your definition of “shown” needs as much improvement as Schaller’s play. 22 points in a full 82 game season is the most he has ever posted.

And we’ve seen months of Schaller, not weeks. And if you don’t believe the NHL is a “what have you done for me lately” league, I would question whether or not you’ve been paying attention.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Then we can't be upset with Erikssons contract, or with Gudbranson, or even Pouliot. Schaller has had a shorter time here, but absolutely can be critical if he's not performing.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Then we can't be upset with Erikssons contract, or with Gudbranson, or even Pouliot. Schaller has had a shorter time here, but absolutely can be critical if he's not performing.

A meritocracy isn’t “what have you done for me in the last two seasons?” Eriksson’s body of work as recently as the last decade - mere years ago - is sufficient enough to say his roster spot is merited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter10

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Sadly Leipsic for an open contract spot is probably one of jims better trades

Obviously, it is not important to the Canucks as he is replaceable. What is lost is whatever player could have been sent to the Comets instead, but won't be. Between losing a spot that could have gone to the Comets if a player not needing waivers had been sent down instead, and the trade of Carcone (on the Utica roster) for Leivo (who is probably intended for the Canucks and who would require waivers to get to Utica if the Canucks decide to send him down) the Comets' fans will be frustrated.

It's interesting to see what the Canucks will do if they get a couple of their injured players back. Right now we've got Sutter, Beagle and Baertschi all on injured reserve and the roster is full. If anybody comes back, the only guys that can be sent down without waivers are Boeser (dream on), Pettersson (yeah, that's likely), Gagner (temporarily, until he's been the roster for 30 days or played 10 games) and Gaudette.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not a "big" success but we traded a guy with no future with us whatsoever for a guy who played a bunch of NHL games for us as, at worst, a place holder. It was worth a shot and if he clears (and he should) we have some depth lurking in Utica that, at the very least, has some NHL experience. But, hey, don't let me ruin your little two minute Benning hate...

Benning hate? Try reality. And Leipsic didn't clear. :laugh:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Obviously, it is not important to the Canucks as he is replaceable. What is lost is whatever player could have been sent to the Comets instead, but won't be. Between losing a spot that could have gone to the Comets if a player not needing waivers had been sent down instead, and the trade of Carcone (on the Utica roster) for Leivo (who is probably intended for the Canucks and who would require waivers to get to Utica if the Canucks decide to send him down) the Comets' fans will be frustrated.

It's interesting to see what the Canucks will do if they get a couple of their injured players back. Right now we've got Sutter, Beagle and Baertschi all on injured reserve and the roster is full. If anybody comes back, the only guys that can be sent down without waivers are Boeser (dream on), Pettersson (yeah, that's likely), Gagner (temporarily, until he's been the roster for 30 days or played 10 games) and Gaudette.

I thought nucks and TO had an agreement that Gagner only plays Marlies in AHL this season.

Reactions: timw33

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A meritocracy isn’t “what have you done for me in the last two seasons?” Eriksson’s body of work as recently as the last decade - mere years ago - is sufficient enough to say his roster spot is merited.

And how many months for Schaller? we're what, a 1/6th of the way through his contract? We already had people calling for Bennings head on Eriksson alone after one year of his six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad