Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
And those numbers are what, the entire season? Or the stretch when he came back from his injury? Because frankly, that stretch from my eyes watching the game? He was ineffective. Actually, Gally started to be much better about 2 weeks ago when Julien put him on the 3rd line.

Whole season

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whole season

So you basically take a stretch of 25 games where he looked like a top 10 rw in the game, a stretch of 15 where he looked like crap and the last stretch, where hes been looking better, average it out and you extrapolate that he never stopped producing?

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
So you basically take a stretch of 25 games where he looked like a top 10 rw in the game, a stretch of 15 where he looked like crap and the last stretch, where hes been looking better, average it out and you extrapolate that he never stopped producing?

I don't believe I said that he never stopped producing. All players have highs, all players are lows. Sometimes the stick is hot, sometimes the stick is cold. Brendan Gallagher is no exception to this rule. He's not an exception this season, and wasn't an exception in years previous. You can't omit the good because it doesn't fit into your narrative. Can't omit the bad either.

I could dig up some rolling averages charts, to give you an idea as to how bad his slump really was, if you'd like

All I'm saying is that on the whole, he's been effective when it comes to:
1) Driving play, which is represented in a strong corsi-for%, and
2) Generating scoring chances, both on an on-ice, and individual level.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I don't believe I said that he never stopped producing. All players have highs, all players are lows. Sometimes the stick is hot, sometimes the stick is cold. Brendan Gallagher is no exception to this rule. He's not an exception this season, and wasn't an exception in years previous. You can't omit the good because it doesn't fit into your narrative. Can't omit the bad either.

I could dig up some rolling averages charts, to give you an idea as to how bad his slump really was, if you'd like

All I'm saying is that on the whole, he's been effective when it comes to:
1) Driving play, which is represented in a strong corsi-for%, and
2) Generating scoring chances, both on an on-ice, and individual level.

However, you have to take into account he just got a major injury, his second in two years on the same hand and so, in order to give stats as arguments to the current discussion like you did, I think you should remove the before injury time. There was a distinct possibility that this second injury really crippled his abilities or his willpower and it is pretty much what people were talking about.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
However, you have to take into account he just got a major injury, his second in two years on the same hand and so, in order to give stats as arguments to the current discussion like you did, I think you should remove the before injury time. There was a distinct possibility that this second injury really crippled his abilities or his willpower and it is pretty much what people were talking about.

I can do that, but when you're looking at a 20 game sample, it's obviously going to cause certain variables like say rust from missing 6 weeks, or a coaching change have a greater influence than they would over a larger sample

On-ice SCF60: 9.68
Individual SCF60: 3.52
CF%: 56.18
CF% REL: +5.98%

Scoring chances are down, but scoring chances were down for the team as a whole over that stretch as well. Relative to the team, he still performed very well in that area. And he did that despite missing over a month with a hand injury, and having a revolving door of linemates

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Three penalties tonight?

Gotta be disciplined in the playoffs, if you want to win.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Three penalties tonight?

Gotta be disciplined in the playoffs, if you want to win.

If any team wants to trade a real top six forward for a package including Gallagher, I'm all for it. I've been for it since the middle of this season. He's done as an offensive threat. The game has become too fast for him. He's a slow skater.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Meanwhile he still keeps getting PP minutes even if he only managed 1 PP goal the whole season and only got 3 PP points. Last time I checked the only forwards with more PP minutes where Pacioretty and Radulov.

His only PP goal was in October, 7 ****ing months ago!!

He's the third highest forward with PP minutes and only got 3 PP points. After that people would **** on Desharnais, atleast P'tit David was able to get more than 3 freaking PP points. :shakehead

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
He doesn't have enough skill for the top 6. His shooting decisions are baffling.

His energy is back but his scoring confidence... not yet. Too early to give up on a young, 3x 20 goals player ( well... 2 of those were 19 goals...). They're someone else I'd bounce from the top 6 before him.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Hated his game tonight, and his 'act' out there. Chippy and mostly an idiot out there all night.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
His energy is back but his scoring confidence... not yet. Too early to give up on a young, 3x 20 goals player ( well... 2 of those were 19 goals...). They're someone else I'd bounce from the top 6 before him.

Of course I would rather trade others, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a skilled player.

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
Of course I would rather trade others, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a skilled player.

For sure, but only for someone with better offensive totals (and decent defence) because Gally brings a lot of intangibles. Not as though we have much Top-6 players who will pay the price in crease...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

A talked about Evander Kane - Brendan Gallagher trade a couple years back when Gallagher was hot and Kane was not would be looking VERY good right now.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Hated his game tonight, and his 'act' out there. Chippy and mostly an idiot out there all night.

When he's acting out like that- including chirping and smiling away at the player that just roughed him up he usually has a bad game. When he was playing better near the end of the season he seldom was involved in that crap.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Meanwhile he still keeps getting PP minutes even if he only managed 1 PP goal the whole season and only got 3 PP points. Last time I checked the only forwards with more PP minutes where Pacioretty and Radulov.

His only PP goal was in October, 7 ****ing months ago!!

He's the third highest forward with PP minutes and only got 3 PP points. After that people would **** on Desharnais, atleast P'tit David was able to get more than 3 freaking PP points. :shakehead

Agreed, he's one of the worst PP players in the league, he shouldn't be on either unit.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Agreed, he's one of the worst PP players in the league, he shouldn't be on either unit.

Top 9 should be :

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Shaw - Plekanec - Byron

PP lines should be :

Pacioretty - Danault - Byron

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Top 9 should be :

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Shaw - Plekanec - Byron

PP lines should be :

Pacioretty - Danault - Byron

I can't understand why Danault should be on the first line and then you double down and have him on the first power play unit too?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Gallagher vs McDonagh last night...all night long...

i never raged so hard in my life...get this guy on the 4th line what a joke!!!

Him and Pleks regressed so hard this season it's unbelievable

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
When he's acting out like that- including chirping and smiling away at the player that just roughed him up he usually has a bad game. When he was playing better near the end of the season he seldom was involved in that crap.

Someone has to remind him who he is, and what kind of a season he had... because that was sickening last night. Making the game all about him , what a putz.

Gallagher vs McDonagh last night...all night long...

i never raged so hard in my life...get this guy on the 4th line what a joke!!!

Him and Pleks regressed so hard this season it's unbelievable

That ****ing smirk he had, trying to be some sort of a leader out there, I wanted to punch his face.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Someone has to remind him who he is, and what kind of a season he had... because that was sickening last night. Making the game all about him , what a putz.

That ****ing smirk he had, trying to be some sort of a leader out there, I wanted to punch his face.

He kept going to the hard places and doing his best to get something going unlike a certain ghost like player that wears the "C" who laid down after he got hit and became once again Invisible.

The bigger the game, the less you see of Captain Invisible.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
He works hard, try hard, sacrifice himself, and has a certain talent to score. What's not to like?...

...but he's ineffective.

I always thought that Gallagher would be a perfect player to have if he's the "third" part of a line. If you have a clear cut first line center coupled with a sniper like Max Pac, he could even be a first line winger - but I do think he would be more suited for the second line, again with a C and a LW better then him.

If let's say Habs have a duo of Max Pac and Tavares, I would be perfectly ok with having Gallagher with them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad