Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm afraid to think about it but could Gallagher use Jeff Skinner as a comparable? I know Skinner just had a bad season, but both are small wingers, Gallagher has just under the pts/game and g/game and plays with all the heart in the world.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm afraid to think about it but could Gallagher use Jeff Skinner as a comparable? I know Skinner just had a bad season, but both are small wingers, Gallagher has just under the pts/game and g/game and plays with all the heart in the world.

Jeff Skinner was coming off a 40 goals season.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-12_15-28-16.png

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The fear is we start OVERpaying gallagher for years AFTER his prime...

We miraculously avoided it with Pacioretty but methinks we hang onto Gallagher longer than we should, instead of trading for a Suzuki level prospect

He is a player that I actually don’t mind overpaying a little bit. He is a great role modal for young players like Suzuki Caufield and KK and he will always bring something to the team

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We miraculously avoided it with Pacioretty but methinks we hang onto Gallagher longer than we should, instead of trading for a Suzuki level prospect

Not worried about Gallagher from 30-35. 35+ is the concern. So term is a big part of his next contract. He is 28 next year and starts his next contract at 29.. 29-33/34 would not be a bad deal IMO. 5 or 6 year deal at what? He is around players like Oshie, Konecny, Bailey, Nylander, Atkinson. Atkinson signed at age 29.. 7 years at $5.875M.

6 years at $6.5M is fair to both Gallagher and the team. We can find out what he will be looking for this next off season. If he starts at $8M and won't budge, I trade him.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Not worried about Gallagher from 30-35. 35+ is the concern. So term is a big part of his next contract. He is 28 next year and starts his next contract at 29.. 29-33/34 would not be a bad deal IMO. 5 or 6 year deal at what? He is around players like Oshie, Konecny, Bailey, Nylander, Atkinson. Atkinson signed at age 29.. 7 years at $5.875M.

6 years at $6.5M is fair to both Gallagher and the team. We can find out what he will be looking for this next off season. If he starts at $8M and won't budge, I trade him.

You're not worried about Gallagher losing a step or two in his early 30s when he plays as hard as he does and gets so much punishment? Wow, I'd like to share your optimism on this, and if it were to be true, I'd be overjoyed, as I think our window will only open in about three more years, provided healthy development by everyone.

Gallagher as he is now would be a major player on that hopefully contending team, and with more depth might be able to run rough-shod against lower defensive pairings if we have guys like Caufield, KK and Suzuki (maybe a high-end UFA like Taylor Hall if we're lucky) to face top-end defensemen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're not worried about Gallagher losing a step or two in his early 30s when he plays as hard as he does and gets so much punishment? Wow, I'd like to share your optimism on this, and if it were to be true, I'd be overjoyed, as I think our window will only open in about three more years, provided healthy development by everyone.

Gallagher as he is now would be a major player on that hopefully contending team, and with more depth might be able to run rough-shod against lower defensive pairings if we have guys like Caufield, KK and Suzuki (maybe a high-end UFA like Taylor Hall if we're lucky) to face top-end defensemen.

Decline happens typically to players with elite level skating and that drops off in their 30's (A player like Gomez for example). Gallagher is a fitness freak and plays a style that is more energy and hard work than creating time and space with his skating.

I would have no problems with 6 years at $6.5M (Age 29-34). However, if he ask for $8M when we talk to him this off season, I consider trading him if he don't budge of that AAV.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Decline happens typically to players with elite level skating and that drops off in their 30's (A player like Gomez for example). Gallagher is a fitness freak and plays a style that is more energy and hard work than creating time and space with his skating.

I would have no problems with 6 years at $6.5M (Age 29-34). However, if he ask for $8M when we talk to him this off season, I consider trading him if he don't budge of that AAV.

I'd be more comfortable with a 5-year term, at about 6.5M$ to about 7 or 7.5M$, but anything more than that, or more than 6 years, and I think we'd have to trade him, even though it would suck.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be more comfortable with a 5-year term, at about 6.5M$ to about 7 or 7.5M$, but anything more than that, or more than 6 years, and I think we'd have to trade him, even though it would suck.

A guy like Atkinson just signed for $5.875M for 7 years. Gallagher has similar numbers and they would both be 29 starting the contracts. I say $6.5M or something like the Nylander contract ($6.9M with lots of money paid in July). Anything over $7M would be risky territory. I think he was underpaid so it's likely he starts at $8M in negotiations. 5 or 6 years is the right term (Age 29-34/35).

Atkinson
- 29 when he started his new contract
- $5.875M for 7 years (29-35)
- $0 of signing bonus money in July
- 571 NHL games
- 0.64 pts/game
- 0.35 goals/game
- Leader type guy.. Assistant Captain

Gallagher
- 29 when he starts his new contract
- $?? x ?
- 75% of signing bonus money in July?? (Nylander is 54%)
- 547 NHL games
- 0.61 pts/game
- 0.32 goals/game
- Leader type guy.. Assistant Captain

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Gallagher insist that bigger playoffs are better for NHL big picture

“I’ve heard the argument against, about affecting the integrity of the game. To me, you’re still getting very credible playoff hockey. And it’s good for the business aspect. I thought it'd have been more beneficial to stay here and get a normal summer in, because you really had nothing to gain. Now you've a chance to win.”

“There’ll be more mistakes than you normally see. Normally teams have their systems down. You’ll see more breakdowns. That will be exciting for fans. Coaches will hate it. I think it will take the first round and maybe into the second round before things really settle down.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Gallagher: Captain + Stanley Cup champion > $$$

Reactions: Redux91

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Just imagine a scenario where Gallagher plays on Sids wing! It would be a thing of beauty and Gally would be a 40 goal man.
Deserves whatever he wants. Imagine if we had twenty talented Gallaghers on ice... We'd have been at the seventh heaven rn.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm sure most of us have this worry but I doubt Gallagher is another Gomez. Gallagher's game is not build on elite level skating and he is a fitness freak. Just don't sign him past the age of 35 and we will be fine with him as our next captain. Weber for 3 more years and then Gallagher for 3. Then we can see where we are at when he is 35.

Reactions: Redux91

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
An ode to feisty Brendan Gallagher, an NHL draft steal for the ages

"I've always had a short-term mentality. There was never a moment of comfort, I'll put it that way. It was always about what I had to do to improve."

"When you talk about skill sets, I'm nowhere near the top of any category. I'm not the fastest guy, I don't have the best shot, none of that. But you can look back at my conditioning - how I've worked in the gym and off the ice - and point to the power I've developed. I can go up against anyone in the world, and that comes from work."

"I work on things that I'm going to be able to use on a nightly basis, whether it's puck protection or little skills in front of the net or quick little movements that create a little bit more time and space."

cropped_gallagher_heat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad