Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
agreed,

it still boggles my mind thinking about why Price agreed to sign back here,

unless MB was a really good salesman and convinced CP that the team would be competetive in a few years....but still CP should have known better
Price signed because he basically got the closes thing to a max contract 8 years 10.5M$ Front loaded with most of the money in signing bonus for a G, he couldn’t get that on the open market. Gallagher would want to be in the same situation where he can squeeze MB for a long term contract, he can always jump ship and ask for a trade later...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-5-23_12-50-11.png

Reactions: kevsavard95

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good comparison in contract negotiations for Gallagher is Atkinson. He signed for $5.875M for 7 years at the age of 29. Gallagher will be 29 as well. $6M - $7M range is what I say for Gallagher. If you want 5 years, it will be $7M. Might get him closer to $6M if you sign him for 7 or 8 years which is risky.

5 years at $7M would be fair to both sides IMO. Takes him from 30-34 and he can sign another 3 or 4 year deal after that and avoid the 35+ contract.

Gallagher

- 223 games
- 86 goals
- 149 pts
- 0.67 pts/game
- 16:27 ATOI
- 53% combined tax in Montreal

Atkinson
- 189 games
- 77 goals
- 141 pts
- 0.75 pts/game
- 18:51 ATOI
- 44 % combined tax in Columbus

Last edited:
Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Good comparison in contract negotiations for Gallagher is Atkinson. He signed for $5.875M for 7 years at the age of 29. Gallagher will be 29 as well. $6M - $7M range is what I say for Gallagher. If you want 5 years, it will be $7M. Might get him closer to $6M if you sign him for 7 or 8 years which is risky.

5 years at $7M would be fair to both sides IMO. Takes him from 30-34 and he can sign another 3 or 4 year deal after that and avoid the 35+ contract.

Gallagher

- 223 games
- 86 goals
- 149 pts
- 0.67 pts/game
- 16:27 ATOI
- 53% combined tax in Montreal

Atkinson
- 189 games
- 77 goals
- 141 pts
- 0.75 pts/game
- 18:51 ATOI
- 44 % combined tax in Columbus

I don’t think he’s a 7M player and I don’t know how long we should expect him to maintain a top 6-worthy production.

I guess we’ll see how much money he’s looking for and I know trading him isn’t really an option. But personally, I’d be willing to explore the market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gallagher with the best Corsi in the NHL. That Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line was just meant to be. All 3 of them near leaders of the NHL in Corsi. Pretty close to 50/50 zone starts too... Danault getting slightly more defensive starts cause he is on the PK

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadiensChick

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don’t think he’s a 7M player and I don’t know how long we should expect him to maintain a top 6-worthy production.

I guess we’ll see how much money he’s looking for and I know trading him isn’t really an option. But personally, I’d be willing to explore the market.

I feel like fans will riot if their precious Gally is traded out.

That said, I think he is one of the biggest trade baits we could use. He'd be exactly what contenters want in playoffs. Retain 50% of his salary and he's GOLD for a team like Tampa or Toronto who are cap-conscious and want to add some grind, goal scoring and depth to their line up.

I'm also not too hot at the idea of paying him to a long-term contract with his combination of size and style of play. It's unfortunate though because he gave a lot to this team, while being underpaid and in a losing effort for a while. And if he does sign a 5-7 years $7M contract, fans might turn on him ala Carey Price, Scott Gomez, etc. in the last years of his contract

Reactions: the

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gallagher with the best Corsi in the NHL. That Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line was just meant to be. All 3 of them near leaders of the NHL in Corsi. Pretty close to 50/50 zone starts too... Danault getting more cause he is on the PK
Too bad that's not more significant. Imagine if they were the top 3 scoring leaders?

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That would be nice yes. But imagine if we didn't have that line? You would be getting your lottery pick for 3 or 4 drafts in a row!

Imagine, they're here and we've participated in the lottery 4/5* since 2016!

But you're right, Danault, Gally and Tatar are very good players. Part of me wish they were on the 2nd/third line though instead of 1st :)

*I count this year as a lottery pick

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You know the Habs will want him back, but they need to do everything they can to keep the contract length short. I'd much rather overpay him for 4 years than be stuck with a broken down and vastly overpaid Gallagher when he's 33-35 years old. He'd be wise to insist on a 7 year deal though, this is his time to cash in. If not in Montreal someone else will give it to him.

Reactions: abo9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad