Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That is not the norm for Gally. If I had the time, I could cherry pick turnover plays for all our top players. Does it mean they have low hockey IQ's. No it means they're human, and that they make mistakes. If you want to complain that Gally takes a lot of low percentage shots. That I will agree with you. Saying that he makes the dumbest plays and doesn't use his brain is maybe a little dramatic.
These plays have been far more common during the playoffs than any other time before. He’s tried forcing passing into the middle when there was no play which ultimately get picked off.

he was never much of a tremendous shooter or total skill guy, but he’s trying to force unnecessary shit that’s getting turned over more often than he usually does. Whether he’s in his own head offensively or something else, I don’t know, but he’s made these plays more often and hasn’t gone for the safer play which would be putting the puck in deep.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I understand your point however being a shutdown guy is great only if you can contribute to the scoring too. Otherwise the other team is simply sending their best players on the ice all the time with no worries of being scored at, because our best players are on the bench watching our great shutdown guys doing nothing offensively. Danault Gally may be great defensively but the play turns dead as soon as they get the puck. Meanwhile Suzuki, KK and caufield are taking a break on the bench.

I would put Armia with Danault.
Danault and Lehk aren't exactly offensive dynamos, it sucks that Gallagher is in a shutdown role exclusively in the POs but at least his line is nullifying the opposing teams top line. So it becomes a question of who has better secondary scoring.

I wouldn't mind seeing Armia with Danault. Perry with Gallagher and Evans might be able to do some damage offensively more than Staal, Perry, Armia.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's been very solid these playoffs and he's just not going to score lots playing on the line he does.

That all being said, I'd trade him in a heart beat. Hell with that contract, I'd be doing back flips if MB exposed him tbh. No hate. He's just so limited in what he can do. You can see it clear as day.

Look at Byron, he's been making plays, scoring clutch goals, using his insane speed. In these playoffs at least, he's just way more effective.

Too bad MB had to ball in public over Gally. I like what Anderson can do and want to see if he can be more consistent. He's a guy who can make something out of nothing. Gally's cardio is crazy but he's just so limited by his slow skating and small reach. If he's playing injured then that's one thing but he's playing injured a lot.

I really hope MB's considering exposing him. It just seems highly unlikely after that post signing gushing. You move that contract and we could possibly really get something pretty dynamic and not have to worry about Suzuki and CC's contracts.

Reactions: Compile

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
These plays have been far more common during the playoffs than any other time before. He’s tried forcing passing into the middle when there was no play which ultimately get picked off.

he was never much of a tremendous shooter or total skill guy, but he’s trying to force unnecessary shit that’s getting turned over more often than he usually does. Whether he’s in his own head offensively or something else, I don’t know, but he’s made these plays more often and hasn’t gone for the safer play which would be putting the puck in deep.

I see what you mean. Considering his line has done squat offensively. It could be that he's just pressing, trying anything to get that extra edge to score a goal. I honestly haven't seen any super dumb plays that stuck out to me, besides the turnover that you previously mentioned. I'm curious now, so I'll keep a closer eye on Gally.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
I’ve been hard on Gally and thinks his contract will absolutely **** as in a year or two. I have the impression that he was paid for what he did, and not for what he will do. That being said, I expect him to play his best game of the playoffs tonight and score a big goal.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Gally is going to be all scarred up like a 70's wrestler by the time the playoffs are over. He's taken quite a beating, for what little production he's had. You have to give him that though, he's always coming back to the front of the net for more, every time.
So how's that working out for him?
Answer,it's Not.He is simply overmatched against All defenseman .Tampa Ragdolled his azz It was not something to be proud of .
Hopefully he retires earlier than later to allow younger more durable players to step up.
He would not make the Top 6 on Any other NHL team .

Reactions: the

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So how's that working out for him?
Answer,it's Not.He is simply overmatched against All defenseman .Tampa Ragdolled his azz It was not something to be proud of .
Hopefully he retires earlier than later to allow younger more durable players to step up.
He would not make the Top 6 on Any other NHL team .
Ridiculous.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Gally is going to be all scarred up like a 70's wrestler by the time the playoffs are over. He's taken quite a beating, for what little production he's had. You have to give him that though, he's always coming back to the front of the net for more, every time.

He'd have more production of he was on a line that compliment him more.

As much as people hate Tatar... he'll shoot the puck so Gally can crash. Danault does nothing offensively and Lehkonen would rather grind in the corners. Gally is so wasted there.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
He'd have more production of he was on a line that compliment him more.

As much as people hate Tatar... he'll shoot the puck so Gally can crash. Danault does nothing offensively and Lehkonen would rather grind in the corners. Gally is so wasted there.

Gallys not getting any greasy ones cause the ds also don’t get any more pucks through. Danault and leks have gotten a lot of pucks from low to high with gally parked in front but seems now more than ever no one is getting any thru.

Danault and leks are terrible at curling off the wall and shooting as well.

doesn’t excuse gally but I can see some reasons he’s being a lot less effective

Reactions: Natey

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
He’s been neutered on that line. Ovechkin would be a 10 goal scorer playing with those guys. D fence d fence d fence

Reactions: angusyoung

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
He’s been neutered on that line. Ovechkin would be a 10 goal scorer playing with those guys. D fence d fence d fence
Gally wouldn't produce with anyone anymore. He used to have speed and he used to have a shot. He can't even make a pass anymore. If there's one player I'm 100% confident nothing is going to happen with the puck when it's on his stick, it's Gallagher.

He can still get a greasy goal or two, but he's a glorified third liner at this point in career.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Gally wouldn't produce with anyone anymore. He used to have speed and he used to have a shot. He can't even make a pass anymore. If there's one player I'm 100% confident nothing is going to happen with the puck when it's on his stick, it's Gallagher.

He can still get a greasy goal or two, but he's a glorified third liner at this point in career.
When you read this post then you go on cap friendly and you see his 6.5m contract starting next season. This will be ugly for a long time. Bergevin decision to extend him last offseason was way too quickly. Should have waited like he did with Danault and Tatar. Could have saved 1.5m-2m on his deal.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
When you read this post then you go on cap friendly and you see his 6.5m contract starting next season. This will be ugly for a long time. Bergevin decision to extend him last offseason was way too quickly. Should have waited like he did with Danault and Tatar. Could have saved 1.5m-2m on his deal.
Yeah it’s terrible. He’s a heart and soul player but I’ve been hoping the team would trade him for years.

I like the guy and what he’s willing to sacrifice but he’s never been worth that contract and would bring in a pretty good return, especially considering his production is only going to get worse.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Not sure if he'd save that much but he should've waited anyways. I'd try to move him with prospect/picks for that offensive LD. Love him but where does he fit now in our top 6? Can't pay that much for a 3rd liner even though he's obviously far better than that.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Staal with 2 goals, 8 points. Gallagher with 2 goals, 6 points. Staal getting way less ice time. All I hear is scratch Staal, he sucks, and how much everyone loves Gallagher. We're trying to win a Cup and this guy has been offensively inept. Him playing to potential and this series would be closer. Expected more from the guy so many wanted to be the Captain.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This is why Bergevin needs to "retire" or get pushed out due to bad publicity in Chicago. He doesn't have the guts or desire to cut bait with Price, Weber or Gallagher. But a new GM wouldn't be beholden to them and could just break out the brooms.

We should all be happy that we got this fluke playoff run because in reality we are nowhere near good enough to warrant being here and we won't be back here for probably another 3 decades if Bergevin hangs around much longer. We need to do a proper rebuild around KK, Caufield, Suzuki and Romanov. All these over 30 guys who are helping the team win just enough to avoid getting a decent lottery pick need to go.
I honestly wouldn't mind Bergevin so much if, like you said, he'd be willing to move some of those big contracts. He COULD still get pretty good returns on those 3 guys next season (providing Price wants to go, which I still think he will given this will likely be his last shot at a cup here). I honestly would rather see a bit of a tear down and a rebuild. Getting a shot at the next couple top picks would be great.
As for Gally, I think he's going to struggle to hit 20 again. He's too banged up and just never had the talent at the best of times. I just don't see him getting dealt and it's going to be an albatross of a contract.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Honestly, they could get a younger, faster, bigger guy for half the money to do the same job Gally will do going forward. They're paying him for what he's done in the past, not what he's going to be doing from now on. I guarantee he'll struggle to score 20 and will probably be out quite a bit. The guy is just too banged up and just never had the talent to begin with. Really stupid deal. I do love the guy, but he's not worth that contract anymore. Get what you can for him.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Any chance we don't protect him ?

New franchise, he's a "name" in the league, just went to the final ... I think it the best case scenario, but his there any chance ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Staal with 2 goals, 8 points. Gallagher with 2 goals, 6 points. Staal getting way less ice time. All I hear is scratch Staal, he sucks, and how much everyone loves Gallagher. We're trying to win a Cup and this guy has been offensively inept. Him playing to potential and this series would be closer. Expected more from the guy so many wanted to be the Captain.

On the other hand, we have a plethora of guys with 6 points or less this playoffs. We've gone with a low scoring, defensive lineup. How much do you expect him to produce with Lehkonen and Danault?

How much has Staal produced this series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad