Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gallagher was a great contract by Bergevin. Way things are evolving image his trade value is more than most players his skills. Maybe even considerable more

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Eb35voaUYAAq0_j

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“I heard it in every level that I was small. I'd say the biggest thing for me it was the mindset that both my parent gave me. It was never question that my size was going to be my disadvantage. They made it known for a real young age that my size is going to be in my advantage. There's things that bigger players are able to do that I can't. And there's things that smaller players can do and that bigger players can't. I just had to understand my game and knowing these things. For a very young age, it was more the mindset of not so much listening to the people that are going to tell me that I'm too small and who doubted me. It was more playing for the people that believed in me and helped me in my way. As much as I heard people telling me that I was too small to play, I had just many people telling me: if I do this or this I was going to be in the NHL one day and that I'm able to do these things. They kinda kept my dream alive. Just listening to the people that believe and helped me. I look back now this mindset was beneficial for me.”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I love this player to death but , he's not worth 7m a year for more than 2 years. He is the type of player to go down at 31+~

Atkinson is a good comparable (someone told me that a while ago and it's spot on). He was UFA at the same time Gallagher will be, stats are similar, and both are assistant captains. I would be willing to give Gallagher a bit more.

Fair deal for Gallagher is 6 years at $6.5M max. If he plays hard ball and wants $7M - $8M or more... we can find that out in October. If he does want a max deal and starts talking about taxes in Montreal... trade him. Same applies to Tatar, Petry, Danault, Armia

Reactions: Doc McKenna

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Atkinson is a good comparable (someone told me that a while ago and it's spot on). He was UFA at the same time Gallagher will be, stats are similar, and both are assistant captains. I would be willing to give Gallagher a bit more.

Fair deal for Gallagher is 6 years at $6.5M max. If he plays hard ball and wants $7M - $8M or more... we can find that out in October. If he does want a max deal and starts talking about taxes in Montreal... trade him. Same applies to Tatar, Petry, Danault, Armia
They are comparable in terms of skills and playstyle but both of them are overpaid at this price. Market going up or not. Plus Gallagher has injuries history which caused some trouble for him.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Same here. As a short person who worked in a physcial job, I had to work a lot harder to keep up with others and it beat the piss out of my body. Started going downhill and having aches and pains around 31. Now in my 40's I am just grateful for anything that doesn't hurt in the course of a week. Hell I get up sore from sleeping.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They are comparable in terms of skills and playstyle but both of them are overpaid at this price. Market going up or not. Plus Gallagher has injuries history which caused some trouble for him.

I don't believe $6M (+/-) is overpaid for guys like Atkinson and Gallagher. $7M+ is though. Did you even look at what Atkinson signed for?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think Gallagher gets 6M, with money back loaded so he can avoid the Escrow hit in the early years of a 6-yr contract. The pandemic and the financial aftermath make things different for upcoming UFAs, in terms of Cap hit and contract structure.

For Brendan, less money early on will still be equal or more than his current 3.75M. Probably easier to handle less money closest to when you earned less money.

I'd re-sign Gallagher for 6 years because he'll be playing those as a 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34 year-old. Even if he falls off in production as a 33 and 34 year old, he can be an effective 3rd liner and you still got maximum value for the bulk of the time left for him until the end of the next contract (five of seven years).

I would not give Danault more than the 5M that Pageau got and not for more than 5 years because of the C depth we seem to be developing. Just make sure there is no NMC because, if Suzuki and KK blossom, paying 5M for a 3rd line C might not be a good idea anymore. At that point, he'd still have value as a shutdown C across the league for a trade..

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/07/28)
“We’re probably all guilty of it. Tonight, the pace of game was fast, it was a little bit quicker and the brain wasn’t keeping up to the pace of the play. We knew what we had to do to be successful but there was a lot of sloppiness, trying to make plays that weren’t there.”
“Going into this series, we know how high-powered the Penguins’ offence is so we've to play smart. We definitely have to improve on that.”
“To improve our PP, it's just repetitions. Penalty kills today in the League are so good. It'd be breaking out of the defensive zone in some cohesive manner, or breaking into the offensive zone in control of the puck, or outnumbering the opposition in battles for loose pucks. You've to do things quick. You don't really have time to think. You've to understand where the play is going to be and you have to do it right away. This also falls into our 5-on-5 play tonight, it's just a little bit hesitant. We were off for awhile and maybe that's the reason, but we don't really have much time here. So it's a matter of getting these reps in so we can understand and talk about it on the bench and figure out where our mistakes are made and correct it to make sure they don't happen again. We've the opportunity here to look at it and improve.”
“2020's been strange. That might have been the strangest thing we've been through to get dressed in the Leafs' luxurious locker room. That was odd.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/08/02)
“I mean, obviously, we started that game a little bit on our heels, we needed our goaltender to be strong. But then KK stepped up and then scores a beautiful goal. You know, going to the net, finding a way to put the puck in the net. And Suzuki, as that game went on, he just became more and more of a presence. It’s pretty, pretty encouraging for our group to see those two young kids step up in a spotlight like that. And obviously you know who’s on the other side, so it’s not an easy challenge. But we’re going to need them going forward, and I think that’s an encouraging sign obviously for the organization, but for our team as well. That was great to see.”
“Experience matters. We know we're playing probably the most experienced team in the entire playoffs. They're not going to get rattled by much. For our team, when you go through things like we went through last night, that's how you gain experience. When you go through those moments, you can call back on those things. But for our team, you go through things, and we went through last night and that’s how you gain experience. When you go through those moments, you can fall back on those things.”
“Right now it’s important for the guys—you know, the leaders in our locker room right now—to have that understanding to relay that message that Game 1 is great, we found a way to win. But in the playoffs there’s gonna be ups and downs and it’s time to move on. Wake up today and you’re preparing for Game 2. It’s essentially Game 1 doesn’t really mean anything if you’re unable to find a way to win Game 2. So, we know who we’re playing on the other side. We know what we've in our locker room. We’re happy with what we got, and our young guys are going to do just fine. Now it’s just a matter of getting that experience. And I think a game like last night goes a long way for that.”

Reactions: KotkaSpicy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->