Breakthrough season for Eichel

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
As much beef I have with sabres fans and I don't agree Eichel is as good as Matthews.. but the future of USA hockey is pretty insane. Would love to see the two play for team USA together at the Olympics

I don't think a guy that would only be the 6th best player on the Leafs is worthy of playing alongside Matthews.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not going to do the full list, but I think it's (in no order within tiers):

Tier 1
McDavid

Tier 2
Mackinnon
Matthews

Tier 3
Barkov
Eichel
Petterson
Barzal

IMO, Matthews is in McDavids tier. Only difference is how they go about attacking the game. One is faster than the other and plays a sexier game. They both have that elite/generational IQ, Matthews is a much better defensive player and he is stronger on the puck. Matthews in the offensive zone is the better player, but McDavid has the transition game from D zone to O zone.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
If he keeps it up he might be a hart trophy candidate and why:

Well I showed the remarkable numbers and how he helped E kane last year, but what he’s now done for skinner is something else and skins deserves credit for being a great finisher. If you don’t watch the games you’d assume the goal scorer has as much if not more to do then the playmaker but for most of his goals it literally hasn’t been the case, I don’t notice him half as much and I don’t think he’s even had half as many chances.

Just picked up his 30th EVEN strength point he has 10 pts on the power play. 11 goals 29 assists- 40 pts. Leads the east in multi point games with 16 (3rd in the NHL behind Mackinnon and Rantanen who play together) marner has 15, right behind jack. Eichs 1 pt back of the points lead among centres in the east, and has less to play with then the guy who’s number one. B Point.

He’s 10th in the NHL in points, (just a few from the top five)

He’s fifth in assists, first in the NHL in shots with 133, top 5 on O Zone possession, among the tops in scoring chances (with all those shots no kidding) and transition zone rushes (last one is m a regular occurrence) he’s plus nine, and fixed his defensive game in a big way, must be that extra responsibility as captain. Having a more decent and goaltender helps that too. Captain of a team that’s 19-9-4 while only playing in 9 games where he didn’t register a point. And a few of those games were some of his best of the season with over ten shots and multiple scoring chances, along with Deking past sharks/avs entire teams.

Oh and Matthews definitely gets the media spotlight that’s for sure. He even gets treated as the saviour when acquiring a starting goalie KIND of helps as well as marner and nylNder in that year they squeezed in the playoffs. Matthews 69 points helped but he didn’t “lead them from dead lAst it wasn’t as simple as that.

IMO, Matthews is in McDavids tier. Only difference is how they go about attacking the game. One is faster than the other and plays a sexier game. They both have that elite/generational IQ, Matthews is a much better defensive player and he is stronger on the puck. Matthews in the offensive zone is the better player, but McDavid has the transition game from D zone to O zone.

Matthews isn’t in mcdavids tier: look .at this:

Last 161 games for Eichel = 161 pts and it’s still in the in the first period

Jack has 217 Pts playing in his 242nd game at the moment, but as shown pt per game the last few seasons with 161 in 161.

Matthews is playing career game 160 right now in his career and has 159 so since the beginning of the 16-17 season both guys have literally produced the same amount of points pretty much only difference is Eichel is 11 months older and had already played one year in the NHL (even if Matthews did have a experience playing with men overseas) he’s still younger and has been the more impressive player one could argue.

Eichel gets more ice time but Matthews has had a better player on his line for most of his career in Nylander (not saying he relies on him but he’s better then kane and skinner who are two of eichels best linemates) and plays on a high offense team, Eichel has the harder match ups because it’s basically just his line. So both guys have pros and cons but they have been the similar producers since Matthews career has began.

I’m willing to bed in mcdavids last 160
Games he had well over 200 pats . He’s probably in his own tier that Crosby May be In too but that’s it and arguable I guess.

What you said though about AM being in the same tier because of that well....

It doesn’t work like that. Matthews is not in McDavids tier because he’s better in the offensive zone, which he isn’t. There are certain aspects Eichel is better at then then mcdavid but I wouldn’t say Eichel is better in areas but I wouldn’t dare say eichels in mcdavids tier.

Well Eichel best mcdavid in transition in 16/17 and that is what you say is what mcdavid is better then Matthews at, while Matthews is better in the offensive zone which I absolutely disagree with. Matthews is stronger on the puck in the offensive zone, stronger on the wall and knows where to get in the dirty areas but mcdavid is as good or better in so many different areas. They don’t have to all be in the same tier, they are IMO the best 3 players under 23 in the league.

Matthews production is nearly identical to Eichel since his career started as pointed it above.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Most intriguing part about Eichel is that there is still so much room for improvement. He's already a fantastic player, one of the best.

He came along way from last year, maturity, leadership, backchecking, making the right pass, not as selfish, droooed arrogance the end of the year interview was the turning point for me. I didn’t care if he had a ego all stars do to some extent that’s how they get to be good if they go about it the right way.

He had the chance to ROR it in the locker room but chose to act quite different and talk about how he was going to change his game and he has to wear this season (I thought he just saying that was responsible because I mean your on a team that can’t score other then you and you blame
Yourself after 0.95 PPG?)

But what do you know he did Change his game.

I agree with you, because he’s not in his prime yet and there are still a couple areas to clean up.

Reactions: Allan92

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Is there a period where he doesent so something that that won’t get on a year long highlight reel, or highlight of the night.

Seriously how many plays in dc and Boston like 7 thus far that could be picked?

MtlsabresFAN

Nov 17, 2018

Eichel thread so why do you feel the need to talk about Matthews. Both are incredible let's just enjoy it.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
It was brought up with the tiers by another poster, just responding to them.

I understand you were and I also don’t want to debate that much but about this but really they’re in the same tier. And it’s not too far below mcdavid. Matthews has played 163 games, Eichel has more points in his last 163 games despite his team scoring like 70 goals less during most of that time, but eichel gets more ice time.As for Much better defensive player before maybe, Eichel is fantastic defensively this season and stronger on the puck? Eichel is one of the strongest on the puck in the league especially even right now, Eichel even went into thenleafs zone last year and stripped Matthews of the puck by lifting up his sick and then scoring a goal right after nonless against Freddy. It’s arguable.

Eichel is flatnout dominating the league right now, so they’re in the same tier, maybe Matthews was ahead of the Eichel in his first few seasons but not this seasons Eichel he’s on a top ten player this year. It’s not just getting the points but it’s chances created, leading the league in shots and up there’s in scoring chances and all of the highlight reel pts and plays he does by the period. I highly suggest you check his games out at the moment.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Kudos to him proving the naysayers wrong (including me). If he can sustain this play, he’ll enter that elite tier that he fell short of previously. Skinner has been a revelation for him, Eichel finally has a gunslinger alongside.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Kudos to him proving the naysayers wrong (including me). If he can sustain this play, he’ll enter that elite tier that he fell short of previously. Skinner has been a revelation for him, Eichel finally has a gunslinger alongside.

It’s honestly the other way around, Eichel had 121 in 128 before skinner whilenskknners production has doubled if not tripled.

I know skinner isn’t a byproduct of Eichel but this season you’d think he was. Try and find the last goal by skinner that wasnt 75-80percent Eichel. Seriously go look this isn’t just me being me...I’ve never seen a goal scorer get this many and it has to do with the playmaker 80 percent, this is Thornton cheechoo type stuff from 05-06.

Not just being biased go back and watch skinners goals and find the last one the guy didn’t just tap the puck in after Eichel “drove created set up and ultimately made the goal happen” skinner has a smile on his face like a kid on Xmas morning and points to him.

Skinner isn’t even a star most nights while Eichel is a first or second star and that’s because even when the puck doesent go in Eichel is the one generating all the chances. You don’t have to believe me, just look ...if you don’t believe me consider the fact you admitted he proved you wrong before and go check them and it out and come back to me this is true anomaly. Primary assist is even a understatement the goals almost all of them don’t happen if Eichel didn’t do what he did, Sportsnet nhl thy have all the data and highlights, it’s insane.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It’s honestly the other way around, Eichel had 121 in 128 before skinner whilenskknners production has doubled if not tripled.

I know skinner isn’t a byproduct of Eichel but this season you’d think he was. Try and find the last goal by skinner that wasnt 75-80percent Eichel. Seriously go look this isn’t just me being me...I’ve never seen a goal scorer get this many and it has to do with the playmaker 80 percent, this is Thornton cheechoo type stuff from 05-06.

Not just being biased go back and watch skinners goals and find the last one the guy didn’t just tap the puck in after Eichel “drove created set up and ultimately made the goal happen” skinner has a smile on his face like a kid on Xmas morning and points to him.

Skinner isn’t even a star most nights while Eichel is a first or second star and that’s because even when the puck doesent go in Eichel is the one generating all the chances. You don’t have to believe me, just look ...if you don’t believe me consider the fact you admitted he proved you wrong before and go check them and it out and come back to me this is true anomaly. Primary assist is even a understatement the goals almost all of them don’t happen if Eichel didn’t do what he did, Sportsnet nhl thy have all the data and highlights, it’s insane.

What I meant was Eichel now has a great finisher for the many plays he creates w his combo of stickhandling and speed. I’m sure Eichel does more of the heavy lifting, as he should. If he still had mediocre finishers, his point totals would be lower.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
What I meant was Eichel now has a great finisher for the many plays he creates w his combo of stickhandling and speed. I’m sure Eichel does more of the heavy lifting, as he should. If he still had mediocre finishers, his point totals would be lower.

Absolutely, agree I didn’t mean to sound like you didn’t mean that either.

I guess I’m just carried away due to how he is dominating everywhere on the ice st the moment and it’s hard for people who don’t watch to realize how the goal scorer for once is almost not as much to credit it’s just a weird scenario. That’s why I called it an anomaly.

What’s lost is skinner played the first six games without Eichel and had one goal and one assist. Eichel had 6 pts in 7 games, then in the seventh game vs la housley smartened up and out then together and it’s been dynamite since!

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017

How. How are there people who legit believe McDavid and Matthews are the same tier players. How..? Do you watch them?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Look at Neal without Malkin too, a bit more recent example.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Absolutely, agree I didn’t mean to sound like you didn’t mean that either.

I guess I’m just carried away due to how he is dominating everywhere on the ice st the moment and it’s hard for people who don’t watch to realize how the goal scorer for once is almost not as much to credit it’s just a weird scenario. That’s why I called it an anomaly.

What’s lost is skinner played the first six games without Eichel and had one goal and one assist. Eichel had 6 pts in 7 games, then in the seventh game vs la housley smartened up and out then together and it’s been dynamite since!

I’ve caught a few Sabre games; we are seeing a new gear from Eichel. He has a laser for a shot too.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
IMO, Matthews is in McDavids tier.
How absurd.

McDavid is coming off of 108 pt and 100 pt seasons. Matthews, who is an elite player btw, has yet to break 70.

And if we're not talking about points (which is a path people don't like to go down when comparing anyone to McDavid) then what are you basing this on?

Reactions: dasaybz

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
How absurd.

McDavid is coming off of 108 pt and 100 pt seasons. Matthews, who is an elite player btw, has yet to break 70.

And if we're not talking about points (which is a path people don't like to go down when comparing anyone to McDavid) then what are you basing this on?

I would say Matthews has arguably the best wrist shot in the NHL and is a beast 3on3.
Eichel conrols the game more and a is better playmaker. Having said that Jack has had 2 amazing snipes the past couple of games and has 7 goals in his last 5 games. Anyway, this is an Eichel thread and both fan bases are thrilled. Actually, almost every team has a superstar it seems! Especially this season. Everyone has a strong case for their player....

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
The first few pages of this thread are downright comical. Self appointed experts who said Eichel has no talent, IQ, vision, effort, leadership, etc. you might as well come out and say "I really don't know how to evaluate a player and have no idea what I'm talking about."

Even skills aside, those who said he should have never been made captain... even if he didn't have the 'C' he'd still be the unquestioned leader of the Sabres. It's not even close.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3