Breakthrough season for Eichel

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The first few pages of this thread are downright comical. Self appointed experts who said Eichel has no talent, IQ, vision, effort, leadership, etc. you might as well come out and say "I really don't know how to evaluate a player and have no idea what I'm talking about."

Even skills aside, those who said he should have never been made captain... even if he didn't have the 'C' he'd still be the unquestioned leader of the Sabres. It's not even close.

He’s always just had haters none of those people were wrong as much as they were ignorant. They didn’t actually ever watch him play to begin with.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
He was looking to pass too much earlier in his career. He's made and still is making great passes but I've been yelling for him to shoot more, especially when he's speeding down the right side.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
The first few pages of this thread are downright comical. Self appointed experts who said Eichel has no talent, IQ, vision, effort, leadership, etc. you might as well come out and say "I really don't know how to evaluate a player and have no idea what I'm talking about."

Even skills aside, those who said he should have never been made captain... even if he didn't have the 'C' he'd still be the unquestioned leader of the Sabres. It's not even close.

I went back and read them and it's hilarious. There are more than a few posters who look downright foolish.

member 311261

I don't think a guy that would only be the 6th best player on the Leafs is worthy of playing alongside Matthews.

At his current pace, maybe he'll pass Kadri for 5th by season's end. As a Sabres fan, I can only hope! :D

JRiz13

Apr 29, 2013
ATL
Oh... my goodness. My body was not ready for the gold on the first few pages of this thread. I was literally reading some of them with my mouth wide open. People love to downplay or ignore how good he is.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The first few pages in this thread are amazing reading.

Should be preserved for posterity, filed under "Why not to make grand pronouncements 10 days into a season."

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No 80 point thread for Jack, and thankfully no one started that. But it is a 80 point season for Jack. 16 point improvement from his previous career high. Health was a primary reason why.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The only way he's going to earn the respect his talent deserves is to have the whole team elevate into something better. I think he's still clearly a notch below MacKinnon and Barkov (and of course McDavid, Crosby and Bergeron) but he should absolutely be right in the mix after that with guys like Matthews, Aho, Tavares, Seguin, Scheifele, Couturier as franchise centers.

Now - is he going to learn to be a better leader for a developing team over time? I would think so/hope so. He's still not the finished article, there are still improvements to be made to his game and consistency. But man is he talented.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The only way he's going to earn the respect his talent deserves is to have the whole team elevate into something better. I think he's still clearly a notch below MacKinnon and Barkov (and of course McDavid, Crosby and Bergeron) but he should absolutely be right in the mix after that with guys like Matthews, Aho, Tavares, Seguin, Scheifele, Couturier as franchise centers.

Now - is he going to learn to be a better leader for a developing team over time? I would think so/hope so. He's still not the finished article, there are still improvements to be made to his game and consistency. But man is he talented.
Eichel has the talent to be in the very elite echelon of centers. Just so naturally gifted. I keep waiting for him to become that "just below McDavid / Crosby" guy. And it's just not happening. With reasonable explanations and all, but not happening.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Eichel has the talent to be in the very elite echelon of centers. Just so naturally gifted. I keep waiting for him to become that "just below McDavid / Crosby" guy. And it's just not happening. With reasonable explanations and all, but not happening.
He's still just 22 and has a lot of room for growth. His game wasn't as mature out of the gate as many of the young star centres. Not all players develop at the same pace, for example at Eichel's age Schiefele only had 49 points in a full year.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He's still just 22 and has a lot of room for growth. His game wasn't as mature out of the gate as many of the young star centres. Not all players develop at the same pace, for example at Eichel's age Schiefele only had 49 points in a full year.
That's true. Plus, excuses or not, injuries slowed him down initially. I really would like to see him stay healthy and get to a higher level. He's a magical player. There are some that are "better" so to speak, statistically and impact-wise, but he's in the tier with McDavid and Kucherov in terms of pure talent.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
That's true. Plus, excuses or not, injuries slowed him down initially. I really would like to see him stay healthy and get to a higher level. He's a magical player. There are some that are "better" so to speak, statistically and impact-wise, but he's in the tier with McDavid and Kucherov in terms of pure talent.
I mean MacKinnon had 53 points in 82 games, his fourth season. So Eichel's development so far has been more impressive. I would not be surprised if he reaches the current MacKinnon level next season. He's at a 87 point pace this season. So another summer training, a hopefully better Buffalo, and being injury free, I can see him getting 100 points.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

Agree. His combo of skating, size, vision, passing ability, shooting ability, and IQ is really amazing. Raw talent wise he’s neck and neck with McDavid, Kucherov and Mackinnon.

I think an actual component NHL coach in combination with actual NHL talent on lines 2-4 will help his career immensely. Of course the Sabres organization has proven to be unable to do those two things 4 years into his career so we will see if it ever comes together for Jack.

Reactions: Absolut

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I mean MacKinnon had 53 points in 82 games, his fourth season. So Eichel's development so far has been more impressive. I would not be surprised if he reaches the current MacKinnon level next season. He's at a 87 point pace this season. So another summer training, a hopefully better Buffalo, and being injury free, I can see him getting 100 points.
progression isn't linear.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
No 80 point thread for Jack, and thankfully no one started that. But it is a 80 point season for Jack. 16 point improvement from his previous career high. Health was a primary reason why.
Hard to believe some people thought laine was a better player then Eichel earlier in the season

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I didn't even bother to see the last game live but my god that pass to Reinhart 5 mins into the game that wasn't a goal was pretty unreal off that quick turnover.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->