Post-Game Talk: BREAKING NEWS: Ken Holland wants to extend 3 on 3 to regulation

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I've watched the replay of the game winner so many times and I still can't figure out if Pavel had no idea what he was doing on that 3 on 1 or is some sort of genius.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
thank you ryan ellis for the fantastic penalty to put the wings on the powerplay for the tying goal

easily smith's best game of the season. but wtf was he doing going for a change on the 3 on 1? lol

hell of a game

Actually a pretty smart play. He knows he can't catch them so he jumps in one end of the bench and Kronwall immediately gets out on the far end and makes up about 30 feet. 100% by design, and actually directly led to the Nyquist goal.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I dunno if there is a "correct" way to defend a 3 on 1 breakaway. As long as you're in the way and make things slightly harder for the opponents you've probably done all you can.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's a bit early to say, especially considering our division.

L10 records:

Montreal 6-3-1
Detroit 7-0-3
Ottawa 6-2-2
Boston 7-1-2
Florida 7-2-1
Tampa 6-3-1

Easily the best division in the NHL right now. Even Buffalo and Toronto have been sort of respectable.
For reference, there are 6 (!) Atlantic teams that have more points than the 2nd place team in the Pacific. We're going to need to continue to be good and hope for some of these other teams to start dropping out of the race.

Eh, arguably maybe, definitely not easily. I think the Central is still probably the best division.

Actually a pretty smart play. He knows he can't catch them so he jumps in one end of the bench and Kronwall immediately gets out on the far end and makes up about 30 feet. 100% by design, and actually directly led to the Nyquist goal.
Exactly, same with abby on that play.

As for Pav's D, I think he played it about as perfectly as you could in that situation.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Oh, I'm not saying it's because of Datsyuk, I'm just saying it's a relatively recent phenomena.

Green, Datsyuk and Richards all returned to the team within a few games of each other and then we started to roll. That is a lot of talent and hockey sense; maybe even our 3 "smartest" players. Collectively, they make us a much better team so I don't think its surprising that the club has turned it around.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

Yea he was so far behind there was no way he was catching up to that 3 on 1, it allows to get fresh players out and the goal resulted because of it.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
That's a bit early to say, especially considering our division.

L10 records:

Montreal 6-3-1
Detroit 7-0-3
Ottawa 6-2-2
Boston 7-1-2
Florida 7-2-1
Tampa 6-3-1

Easily the best division in the NHL right now. Even Buffalo and Toronto have been sort of respectable.
For reference, there are 6 (!) Atlantic teams that have more points than the 2nd place team in the Pacific. We're going to need to continue to be good and hope for some of these other teams to start dropping out of the race.

Ottawa is really surprising, IMO they ain't even good but somehow still get the results...

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If Larkin is this good at 19, how good will he be at 25?

Safe to say he gets the "C" when Z hangs em up?

Every time he's on the ice he makes something happen...Every time..his speed makes him a threat every shift, and he hs shown a nice ability to finish plays off too.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not necessarily miles better. He's an early bloomer. Unlike most other 19 year olds that have tons of stuff to work on, Larkin is already 'all there' and just needs refinements and experience.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Every time he's on the ice he makes something happen...Every time..his speed makes him a threat every shift, and he hs shown a nice ability to finish plays off too.

I actually do think he'll get the C, but how good will he be at 25? Could be better, the same or worse. Anyone banking on him being better in some linear fashion is taking a risk.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I actually do think he'll get the C, but how good will he be at 25? Could be better, the same or worse. Anyone banking on him being better in some linear fashion is taking a risk.

If we're going to stick with the Toews comparisons, it's worth noting Toews' production during his rookie year is basically identical to his production every other year. So as you're wise to point out, it's not a linear progression in terms of points.

But he could certainly continue to round out his game in all kinds of areas that don't show up on the score sheet.

HadVokounOnFortSt

Nov 30, 2015
Cloudy Town, Minn

I do think he gets the C, but who knows in 5 years. Really getting ahead of ourselves here.

Actual Thought*

The way Larkin is going, he'll put up nearly the same numbers Jonathan Toews did his first season in the NHL at 19 years old.

He is having a better season than Toews right now. He is better than Toews in every statistical category so far except games played. They are tied there.:laugh:

Larkin 11 goals 10 assists 21 pts +19 27 pm 75 shots 14.7 shooting %
Toews 8 goals 8 assists 16 pts +5 28 pm 64 shots 12.5 shooting %

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
Really? Awesome!

the turnaround started to happen a few games before that against ottawa imo. was when zetterberg called out the defense for being soft

I've followed the Red Wings less this year than in any year in the past 15. (Personal/Family/Job issues, etc..)

Is there a link to this? (I'm not doubting you. I want to read about this) This is what a captain needs to do.

I used to be in the know but this year, I'm like "Wait, what happened?"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2