Brayden Schenn Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
nobody knows what he's going to do, for sure. Just because his points went up the last two years, doesn't mean they will this year, or next year...ect. he might breakout and become the greatest player of all time.

Jonathan Cheechoo scored 90 goals over 2 years....then fell off the map...did he forget how to play? Stats on paper don't tell the full story, always.

I'm asserting my opinion in his lack of ability, that's all I (or anybody here) can do.

I'd trade both Schenn and simmonds.

His points have actually gone up for 5 straight years:

And yes, I know games played helped in this, but it still remains a fact. And again, we have yet to see Schenn consistent or have what we would call a "good year".

Schenn will start his next contract at age 25. I have no issue locking him up to a 5 year deal at 4.1 million and having him for his prime years with us.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I like how Schenn has played this year. He's been our best winger.

I agree. I think he's better suited on the 2nd line on RW. I think Raffl should be on the 3rd line too.
If we can move Simmonds and get a LW and a Pick i would be happy. Kone then can replace Umberger next year and replace Simmers style of game.

I also think VandeVelde is a great penalty killer, making read useless. Gagner is more offensive and should stay.

Options
LW: Schwartz, Landeskog, van Reimsdyk, Gaudreau, Ladd, Skinner, etc

xxx/Giroux/Voracek
Gagner/Couturier/Schenn
Raffl/Laughton/Konecky
White/Bellemare/VandeVelde

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I've railed on Schenn alot. I still think he's a limited guy. But he's played some of his best hockey the last two weeks IMO. I didn't get the benching either.

He's looking WAY better than Raffl on the top line.

Credit where credit is due.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
If Laughton is going to play wing or 4th line center then I wouldn't mind seeing Schenn getting a shot at Center.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenns issue has always been his "drive" or "engine" not always running at max. This year he seems to be bringing his A effort nearly every game. Hes maturing as a person and player.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I don't know, Schenn's problems for me weren't related to drive or his engine. He seemed to not think the game well enough. This year he just seems smarter. He's making a lot of good reads and nice plays out there.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I think it's been a Flyers problem more then a Schenn problem. They wanted him to be a Doan type PF but he is more of a scorer/playmaker. Having him on a line with guys like Simmonds and Rafl seems a good fit. They do more of the dirty work.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I think it's been a Flyers problem more then a Schenn problem. They wanted him to be a Doan type PF but he is more of a scorer/playmaker. Having him on a line with guys like Simmonds and Rafl seems a good fit. They do more of the dirty work.

The problem is that Schenn has always looked best when he is throwing his body around and constantly moving.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Schenn's EL contract is up at the end of the season and he'll be an RFA. Someone will offer sheet him; probably in the $4M per range. Do you want to pay him that? If not, Hexy should move him for quality return.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
i do think we should move him. he picks up trash goals often and usually kills the flow of a play with his low playmaking ability and creativity.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn's EL contract is up at the end of the season and he'll be an RFA. Someone will offer sheet him; probably in the $4M per range. Do you want to pay him that? If not, Hexy should move him for quality return.

The chances of him getting an offersheet that is worth it for him to accept & worth it for the team to offer is pretty slim.

He very well could be traded but it would be highly unlikely due to fear of an offersheet.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The problem is that Schenn has always looked best when he is throwing his body around and constantly moving.

That's what I was getting at.

He has shown inconsistency and varying levels of intensity and drive in previous years.

He thinks the game fine. He's not like Giroux or a Sedin or anything, but he thinks the game fine for a top 6 player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Absolutely.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Offer sheet compensation last summer:

$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks

Assuming they are about the same... if someone offered for Schenn at say $3.6m Hextall matches instantly.

No-one is offering over $5.4m for Schenn.

If it is under $4.5m I imagine the Flyers just match instantly.

However, if someone really wanted him and offered say $5-5.4m for him on an offer-sheet? He would almost certainly sign it, and the Flyers would then have a choice... do they match or let him go and get a 1st + 3rd?

Though realistically I don't think an offer sheet is in play tbh.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Too many factors.

-Where the Flyers think he is at
-Cost/Term
-Winger prospects status
-Draft ranking the signing team would be around

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Really...it comes down to if Hextall wants to sign him from 4-4.5 million.

He is not worth more. And he is a RFA we we do have some leverage here. Look at the deals that Craig Smith and Colin Wilson got. He will be in that range.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
He looks like a different player at RW.

Also, the goal he scored tonight is probably the best goal I've ever seen him score.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Also, the goal he scored tonight is probably the best goal I've ever seen him score.

It was a filthy snipe and while he's done it before, I do think coming in from the right side helps him a lot.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He's had better goals, but it was a beauty. He definitely looks better coming down his off-wing, being able to cut into the middle of the ice on the forehand.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It was a good goal. He's always has a really quick release. They let him find space in the slot and he buried it. He's been getting a little more consistent. Pretty happy about it. He's done well on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad