Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree, I figure there are other bodies you move before Point if needed but signing Point to say $9.0m would put a lot of strain on the franchise. This is especially true because you have 3 UFA d. That is why I wanted to inquire, see where confidence sat with you guys.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not here to debate trade value from the Coyotes with you guys. This was purely curiosity on his situation.

Yea zero chance we move him. Bunch of other guys we move before him.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I agree, I figure there are other bodies you move before Point if needed but signing Point to say $9.0m would put a lot of strain on the franchise. This is especially true because you have 3 UFA d. That is why I wanted to inquire, see where confidence sat with you guys.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not here to debate trade value from the Coyotes with you guys. This was purely curiosity on his situation.

9 million is nothing. Even if he wanted 15 we would get him signed. Why would we care about letting a few UFA's walk? They can all be replaced easily. Point however is a player we can't afford to lose.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
All fair, didn't expect you guys to be happy with the idea of moving him but I wanted to get an idea of how you'd feel about the surrounding roster and the ability to maintain a strong supporting cast by keeping Point.

I imagine even if the cap goes up, you'll need to find a way to move at least 1 higher priced body to stay under the cap given that you would need to replace 3 UFA D on top of raises to Point. Miller is the only one I see without a NTC, allowing for maximum value.

My interest fall more in line with Miller and Johnson, guys who may be more attainable. Don't get me wrong, Point would be great, but I didn't think you guys would consider moving him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
All fair, didn't expect you guys to be happy with the idea of moving him but I wanted to get an idea of how you'd feel about the surrounding roster and the ability to maintain a strong supporting cast by keeping Point.

I imagine even if the cap goes up, you'll need to find a way to move at least 1 higher priced body to stay under the cap given that you would need to replace 3 UFA D on top of raises to Point. Miller is the only one I see without a NTC, allowing for maximum value.

My interest fall more in line with Miller and Johnson, guys who may be more attainable. Don't get me wrong, Point would be great, but I didn't think you guys would consider moving him.
Just so you don't get left without an answer to this "but what if you did have to trade him" premise, if Point were to be traded it would be something not entirely unlike the Johansen/Jones trade--1 for 1 and a player with similar value that would otherwise solve the cap issue (given that seems to be the premise you're running with). I think even that trade doesn't quite cover it, because I don't remember getting the impression that Johansen was as good of a center at that time as Point is now.

There don't appear to be many teams who have the slam dunk player that we'd need to justify trading Point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just so you don't get left without an answer to this "but what if you did have to trade him" premise, if Point were to be traded it would be something not entirely unlike the Johansen/Jones trade--1 for 1 and a player with similar value that would otherwise solve the cap issue (given that seems to be the premise you're running with). I think even that trade doesn't quite cover it, because I don't remember getting the impression that Johansen was as good of a center at that time as Point is now.

There don't appear to be many teams who have the slam dunk player that we'd need to justify trading Point.

That trade was two players struggling to fulfill their potential with their former teams, needing a change of scenery. It would be more like if we traded Sergachev for a good, but not great C, who had the potential to be great. Closer to Sergachev for Drouin, I guess.

Anyway, I think Point's value is a top-ten player in the league. And even some of those wouldn't make much sense for us. Like, aside from McDavid, is there a C in the league who better suits our needs? We have Stamkos as a C who can score goals, so it works out perfectly that our "other" 1C is a two-way beast (...usually). I think MacKinnon is a better player than Point right now, for instance, but I'm not convinced we'd be a better team if we made that deal, because we'd be losing an ability to match-up against any line in the league. With our new version of Stamkos, Point-Stamkos is a dream 1-2. Between the two of them, you get everything.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
That trade was two players struggling to fulfill their potential with their former teams, needing a change of scenery. It would be more like if we traded Sergachev for a good, but not great C, who had the potential to be great. Closer to Sergachev for Drouin, I guess.

Anyway, I think Point's value is a top-ten player in the league. And even some of those wouldn't make much sense for us. Like, aside from McDavid, is there a C in the league who better suits our needs? We have Stamkos as a C who can score goals, so it works out perfectly that our "other" 1C is a two-way beast (...usually). I think MacKinnon is a better player than Point right now, for instance, but I'm not convinced we'd be a better team if we made that deal, because we'd be losing an ability to match-up against any line in the league. With our new version of Stamkos, Point-Stamkos is a dream 1-2. Between the two of them, you get everything.
The only other 1 for 1 trade I could remember off the top of my head was Subban for Weber and I don't even want to get near that thing.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only other 1 for 1 trade I could remember off the top of my head was Subban for Weber and I don't even want to get near that thing.

I think what it comes down to is players like Point aren't traded at 22 years old. It's pretty much impossible to find a comparable trade in the cap era.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'm here in peace. :surrender

If you did end up having to move Point, what do you expect JB would be looking for in return? Something specific or BPO? Do you think he would rather play the offer sheet game and match if needed?

McDavid with retention to bring his cap hit down is about the only acceptable return. Point is not being traded - period.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tyler Seguin? *puts gun to head*

Without crazy circumstances, I mean. :p

It can happen if they want somebody out of the locker room. Thornton is actually a good one. But Boston initiated that, if I'm not mistaken. There's no reason for us to initiate a deal, so the price would basically cripple the other team.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rumors of Matthews signing for 11-12. As much as I hope that Toronto gets burned...geez we need to sign BP like right now to get in front of that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Rumors of Matthews signing for 11-12. As much as I hope that Toronto gets burned...geez we need to sign BP like right now to get in front of that.

Point has cooled off substantially. He will probably sign a deal comparable to Stamkos. If he wants more money then leave term on the table and we will negotiate again. The only guy who has any business making that kind of money right now is McDavid.

And Toronto is gonna be in other wordly cap hell soon. Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander are gonna cost like $39 million if Marner wants the same deal Matthews gets.

Wow

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He's cooling off, 0 points in his last 3 games, only 1 goal and 3 points in his last 7 games, now injured.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Am I insane to think theres no way this dude gets 8.5 on this contract?

I dont see him breaking our bank. I think he follows his teammates and takes a bridge discount to help us now. Then cashes in big later. I could be wrong just how I predict it going.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Don’t think the Matthews deal is going to effect points deal he will sign 8 years for 8-8.5 million.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Don’t think the Matthews deal is going to effect points deal he will sign 8 years for 8-8.5 million.

Agree Matthews' contract is irrelevant to Point. No matter what he does he can't ask for more money than Kucherov so at most it's gonna be like 9mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad