Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Of course he does, but if..I dunno, a Steve Yzerman run Detroit comes in and offers him 7x12, I don't see him saying no.
dont think stevie leaves just stays as consultant have spoke a lot on this in past.... was about family not wanting to go back to detroit so to speak... i think stevie is done being a gm ever again even if takes role in detroit at some point it would be same situation having a group make a decision where he is a top consultant on major decisions

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
dont think stevie leaves just stays as consultant have spoke a lot on this in past.... was about family not wanting to go back to detroit so to speak... i think stevie is done being a gm ever again even if takes role in detroit at some point it would be same situation having a group make a decision where he is a top consultant on major decisions

I'd bet he winds up in Detroit. He's not done competing.

But if he didn't offer sheet anybody in his time here, I don't see him doing it now.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
its a hard ride folks and he is a man of principle nothing is gonna change on stevies duty as a husband and father to girls in college etc... so ya i think he stays as long as we can let him have that life and he never regrets it. If after that break which I think he takes he feels the fire here or else where cool... Just the guy I saw? he was a bit tired life is hard family is hard even when things go well even for rich people lol.... duties sure as hell is hard I feel like the hell ive faced with mom since christmas has taken another 10 years off my life so far lol .... she has shingels its a nightmare nightmare nightmare. This is normal life lol... so yeah think he just needs his time and space if he does the detroit thing again think is more of a consulting thing then otherwise he has talked to scotty and others im sure on this over the years when they stepped down but continued in those other roles etc.... do i think we will need him multiple times each year? yes a little over a handful for the big decisions yes... if he did detroit in future think will be more as president etc.. over day to day grind of gm etc...

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Of course he does, but if..I dunno, a Steve Yzerman run Detroit comes in and offers him 7x12, I don't see him saying no.
If he's solely in for the money then sure. But if not...

Detroit:
rebuilding
cold weather
sad city

Tampa:
"He [Point] loves it in Tampa" (his agent)
great owner investing in the team, arena, city and community
accomplished and respected management, scouting staff, coaching staff
several elite players, trophy winners and allstars on the team
players buying into the vision of the team, taking team-friendly discounts to stay together
winning culture, 2 ECF and 1 SCF in the past 4 seasons, team's 13 pts ahead of 2nd team in the conf
team that drafted, supported and developed him
laid-back yet hockey loving fan base
nice weather and beaches
and of course: no state income tax *DramaticChipmunk.avi*

Humm.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Its just a matter of being competitive. Who do you think over a window of 5-8 years will be more likely to win a cup, Tampa or Detroit?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman I think winds up in Detroit next season in some type of role president, GM or senior adviser. I think he probably told vinik and JBB I’ll stay in as a advisor the last year of my deal and help JBB settle into the role as GM for just this season then he is on his own. If he is going to live up in Detroit full time then it makes sense he works there.as for a offer sheet he won’t offer sheet point he would lose a 1st rounder that could be the top pick in the draft

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman I think winds up in Detroit next season in some type of role president, GM or senior adviser. I think he probably told vinik and JBB I’ll stay in as a advisor the last year of my deal and help JBB settle into the role as GM for just this season then he is on his own. If he is going to live up in Detroit full time then it makes sense he works there.as for a offer sheet he won’t offer sheet point he would lose a 1st rounder that could be the top pick in the draft

That's actually not a bad forecast. Yzerman as a president type in Detroit. He might still want a reduced schedule while having a major say in hockey operations. I think Yzerman will have some sort of competitive role in the league again, probably in Detroit, and it's tough to say if he wouldn't mind a GM's schedule from home, whereas it was just too much for him from TB. I tend to agree that the timing of his "stepping down" was as much about not wanting to lose JBB as it was about anything else.

goCatsgo4

Jul 5, 2015
Florida
Hey all, panther fan coming in peace. Just want to ask a question.
It always seems like you guys will call up prospects and they just instantly take over their role lol. Panthers always seem to have no luck/skill with drafting or developing or whatever..

When Point first got called up, how much development did he have in the ahl? When he got called up what line/s did he play on, how many minutes did he play?

I'm just wondering because I feel like every time Panthers call up highly touted prospects we just don't do it right. Right now we have Borgstrom playing like 8-10 minutes a night, and I feel like that is not right. He should be getting more time so he can develop faster and get better in the NHL.

Basically i'm asking, How was it for Point?

Thanks everyone.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hey all, panther fan coming in peace. Just want to ask a question.
It always seems like you guys will call up prospects and they just instantly take over their role lol. Panthers always seem to have no luck/skill with drafting or developing or whatever..

When Point first got called up, how much development did he have in the ahl? When he got called up what line/s did he play on, how many minutes did he play?

I'm just wondering because I feel like every time Panthers call up highly touted prospects we just don't do it right. Right now we have Borgstrom playing like 8-10 minutes a night, and I feel like that is not right. He should be getting more time so he can develop faster and get better in the NHL.

Basically i'm asking, How was it for Point?

Thanks everyone.
Point is like the only player we have developed recently that didnt play in the AHL. He made the team out of camp. He started on the third line, and I think maybe the pk?

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Point is like the only player we have developed recently that didnt play in the AHL. He made the team out of camp. He started on the third line, and I think maybe the pk?

He played briefly for the Crunch but the rest of his development came from the WHL.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think what it comes down to is we are good at knowing where to put guys. Point made the team right away because what we saw was enough to say he deserves real minutes in the league. We don't call up guys just to call them up, there is a true hierarchy of roles . Of course it helps being good enough not to be desperate.

Reactions: Rschmitz

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Point was also able to develop rapidly in the NHL because of all the injuries around him. Hell, by the end of his rookie year he was playing as the #1 center. While I'm not sure that was optimal for the team, it did accelerate his development.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point was also able to develop rapidly in the NHL because of all the injuries around him. Hell, by the end of his rookie year he was playing as the #1 center. While I'm not sure that was optimal for the team, it did accelerate his development.

There's also something to be said for the amount of work he puts in. We've seen it twice now, where he shows up to camp clearly better than the previous season. Just this past September you could tell he'd taken another big step forward.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
He played a few games when he was 19 after his WHL season was over. I dont call that developing in the AHL.

He was with the Crunch for 10 or so games before returning to the WHL, finishing the season there prior to joining the Lightning the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad