Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This gets thrown out a lot, and while there's definitely some truth to it, it's really overexaggerated. Look at where Point's shots are coming from:

shot-heat-map.png

vs his goals scored:

shot-heat-map.png

He's a very opportunistic shooter. It's not like he's shooting from everywhere and all of his shots are going in. Most of his goals scored are coming from right in the slot.

This. He's going to shoot at a higher % than you would think, just judging by his shot. Like, he doesn't shoot as well as Stamkos or Kucherov, but he could maintain a similar % just because of how many A-grade chances he gets, many of which he creates for himself. He scores on his IQ rather than anything physical. (He won't stay above 20, but I think 15-16 is realistic.)

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't even know that I agree that they're more hungry. I think the margin is more about Stamkos shooting the puck, Point going from a good 2C to an elite 1C, and McDonagh. And Johnson, and Joseph, and Cirelli, and Cernak, and Coburn, and Killorn. Even when we DO coast (and we do), we're good enough to either coast to a win, or wake up for two minutes and put our opponent down.

So many of our guys just look like peak versions of themselves. That wasn't true last year, even when we were winning--at least, it wasn't true up and down the lineup. Like, we didn't have this version of Coburn last year. And, even though Killorn put up decent points, he didn't look anywhere near this good on a nightly basis. Paquette. The list goes on and on. It just feels like, on any given night, it's only a matter of time before somebody gets it done. (...Usually it's Point.)

It's nice to have guys like Point, Cirelli, Joseph, and Gourde, who no matter what the rest of the team is doing, are going to give you the consistent work ethic and have to skill to score on top of it.

Feels like in the past, when our scoring liners coasted we looked like an AHL team, but even nights like last night where we look like we are coasting, the ice isn't so ridiculously tilted that the game feels out of reach.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
This gets thrown out a lot, and while there's definitely some truth to it, it's really overexaggerated. Look at where Point's shots are coming from:

shot-heat-map.png

vs his goals scored:

shot-heat-map.png

He's a very opportunistic shooter. It's not like he's shooting from everywhere and all of his shots are going in. Most of his goals scored are coming from right in the slot.

This. He's going to shoot at a higher % than you would think, just judging by his shot. Like, he doesn't shoot as well as Stamkos or Kucherov, but he could maintain a similar % just because of how many A-grade chances he gets, many of which he creates for himself. He scores on his IQ rather than anything physical. (He won't stay above 20, but I think 15-16 is realistic.)

Those are fair points and I agree that he is a player that can have a higher shooting % than most player's, so 15-16 is realistic for sure, just that the current number is not sustainable long-term.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Curious how everyone thinks this offseason is going to pan out with Point. What's the most likely scenario, Point signing the one year offer, we sign him long term, or he signs elsewhere and we don't match? I really have no clue what's going to happen because we aren't exactly loaded with cap room.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Curious how everyone thinks this offseason is going to pan out with Point. What's the most likely scenario, Point signing the one year offer, we sign him long term, or he signs elsewhere and we don't match? I really have no clue what's going to happen because we aren't exactly loaded with cap room.

Most likely he signs an 8 year extension, not very likely that he signs a bridge deal, and not likely at all we sign him to a 1 year deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'd be just as happy to lock him up, if possible. Two-way players of this caliber often get better as they mature. I don't think there are any serious questions about his will to win. If I had to bet on a single player in the league not getting complacent after getting paid, this is the kid.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'd be just as happy to lock him up, if possible. Two-way players of this caliber often get better as they mature. I don't think there are any serious questions about his will to win. If I had to bet on a single player in the league not getting complacent after getting paid, this is the kid.

I agree, and I'd love to lock him up too. But with Vas up for a long term deal and all our recent long term signings I hope BP isn't going anywhere. If there's one guy you make moves to create room for it's him.

I'd never want this to go down but I have to imagine there are only a handful of players in the league who would bring in a bigger haul via trade than he would given his production/age. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere this offseason but in the off chance he does sign a deal we aren't willing to match I'll forever be curious what we could have traded him for.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Even with all our talent, this is a very different team without Point. Lock him up long-term, and do what ever it takes cap-wise to make it happen. We've got a few $5 mil guys who are totally expendable if it means the difference between keeping Point or not.

Reactions: JDBolt

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I still think there's a decent chance he gets bridged, but definitely significantly lower than before the season.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm here in peace. :surrender

If you did end up having to move Point, what do you expect JB would be looking for in return? Something specific or BPO? Do you think he would rather play the offer sheet game and match if needed?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

If you did end up having to move Point, what do you expect JB would be looking for in return? Something specific or BPO? Do you think he would rather play the offer sheet game and match if needed?
There's zero change of that happening. And if the impossible happened then we'd ask for the moon in return. Possibly more since many don't realize the value that Point's name has. You can't even imagine how hilarious the puns are. I die of laughter every time. They never get old.

Reactions: DFC

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
There's zero change of that happening. And if the impossible happened then we'd ask for the moon in return. Possibly more since many don't realize the value that Point's name has. You can't even imagine how hilarious the puns are. I die of laughter every time. They never get old.
We're not moving Point. End of discussion.

I agree, I figure there are other bodies you move before Point if needed but signing Point to say $9.0m would put a lot of strain on the franchise. This is especially true because you have 3 UFA d. That is why I wanted to inquire, see where confidence sat with you guys.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not here to debate trade value from the Coyotes with you guys. This was purely curiosity on his situation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

A top 10 player in the league?

We're not moving him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree, I figure there are other bodies you move before Point if needed but signing Point to say $9.0m would put a lot of strain on the franchise. This is especially true because you have 3 UFA d. That is why I wanted to inquire, see where confidence sat with you guys.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not here to debate trade value from the Coyotes with you guys. This was purely curiosity on his situation.

He's probably worth more than 9. Whatever the strain on the franchise, losing him would be worse.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

We have already accepted that he is getting something similar to that. We gladly would lose Palat or Gourde in order to keep Point, no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad