Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agree Matthews' contract is irrelevant to Point. No matter what he does he can't ask for more money than Kucherov so at most it's gonna be like 9mil.
I don't think it's irrelevant, but I think there's now a "cultural" thing with our stars signing for below value.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Leafs right now

tenor.gif

This is the best thing that ever could have happened, folks. Marner is licking his chops right now. You ain't convincing that kid he's worth less than Tavares after outscoring him so far this year or Matthews when he hasn't even had a full season yet.

This is gonna be a new kind of cap hell

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why does he get that and not the same bridge deal everyone gets from the Bolts?

I wouldnt be so sure he wont. Point signing a bridge does wonders for our team. Just like it did when Kucherov did it. We shouldnt expect it but it shouldnt surprise us either.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Man this deal is going to screw the Leafs so hard on Marner. They're either going to lose him or they're going to **** their cap so bad keeping him.

Gonna make it even sweeter when Pointer is locked up under 9.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Man this deal is going to screw the Leafs so hard on Marner. They're either going to lose him or they're going to **** their cap so bad keeping him.

Gonna make it even sweeter when Pointer is locked up under 9.

Guarantee that they were selling the idea of discounts like we did but there is one problem, they havent gone far enough in the playoffs to really sell it. TB had gone to the finals before they were convincing guys to take less than market value. In fact we went to the finals and then ECF before we did it. Toronto hasnt won anything to really sell that kind of idea. Once Stamkos and Hedman did it we opened that door for our other guys to do the same and they bought in. Easier to buy into this idea when you know you have the horses. Toronto hasnt proven to have the horses yet. Go for the sure thing in a pay raise so you know you have that.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Guarantee that they were selling the idea of discounts like we did but there is one problem, they havent gone far enough in the playoffs to really sell it. TB had gone to the finals before they were convincing guys to take less than market value. In fact we went to the finals and then ECF before we did it. Toronto hasnt won anything to really sell that kind of idea. Once Stamkos and Hedman did it we opened that door for our other guys to do the same and they bought in. Easier to buy into this idea when you know you have the horses. Toronto hasnt proven to have the horses yet. Go for the sure thing in a pay raise so you know you have that.
I think Kucherov signing the bridge was really a turning point. Everyone knew by that point he was gonna be a star and he still signed a bridge. It's not gonna work with everyone, but I have no doubts Yzerman and JBB both point to that as soon as starting negotiations. "Look at what Kuch did for this team. If you want to be here and keep this core together and keep making deep runs, let's remember that"

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
He isn’t but if we can get a deal done for 8 years then we will. Depends what we do via trade will determine if he gets a bridge deal or not.
I just dont understand where this thinking comes from. We havent done that with any of our players recently. Dont think this team has provided any evidence we would all of a sudden do it now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It’s the tax situation there our guys are not losing money 8.5 per year for stamkos is like making 11 per year in Toronto taxes kill them up there

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
well i see point coming in around 7 milly still i think marner plans on breaking the bank though for toronto by his agents talking....

point agreed to take less to make it work for tampa not just self i believe he will own up to that myself

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
well i see point coming in around 7 milly still i think marner plans on breaking the bank though for toronto by his agents talking....

point agreed to take less to make it work for tampa not just self i believe he will own up to that myself

On a bridge maybe, but I don’t see us getting Point on a longterm deal that cheaply. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
On a bridge maybe, but I don’t see us getting Point on a longterm deal that cheaply. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.
ya i been known to be close on these with most of our deals in past etc.. so I feel fine on this one hope it proves you wrong:)

point has said will play ball think they all have to keep playing ball or they will not be here imho.... if you got 6-7-8 guys playing ball and one bad apple IE drouin or TONY what is our reaction in the past?

no one player outweighs the system structure or the team. We kinda have put that down nailed it down imho... i am not sure on the years but we will find out and I would bet money marner's contract is terrible where whole league again is saying its all tax break here and it needs to change cause gives us an unfair advantage lol..... The tax thing is just one thing honestly more important is your superstars saying ok I will take that one million less so we always have the best chance to do what is needed to shoot for cups...detroit put lidstrom as the stamp and never waivered on zetterberg or on datsyuk... I still think we will always do the same here... point has said to people he will do bridge if needed do what it takes as I said I think he sticks to that at least hope so...... Till I see different though id say bank it lol

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
31 Thoughts podcast with Friedman talks a lot about Point and how he compares to Matthews. Said that Toronto felt like they had to make the deal they did because they feared an offer sheet and did not want to let (likely AZ) set his price. They are also wanting to lock down Marner before the offseason for the same reason.

Mentioned Point as the same level of target for teams as Matthews and it's gonna be a big gamble for Tampa to let him get there.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
31 Thoughts podcast with Friedman talks a lot about Point and how he compares to Matthews. Said that Toronto felt like they had to make the deal they did because they feared an offer sheet and did not want to let (likely AZ) set his price. They are also wanting to lock down Marner before the offseason for the same reason.

Mentioned Point as the same level of target for teams as Matthews and it's gonna be a big gamble for Tampa to let him get there.
player still has to agree to deal on offer sheets they can ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad