Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
One of these things is not like the others...

Realistically, he has to slow down. At least in the goal-scoring department. He can't shoot > 25% all year. Still. It's getting pretty crazy.
To be fair, most of his goals have come from high danger scoring chances, it's not like he's shooting from the point and everything's going in. Still, he should slow down sooner or later. 40 goals would still be impressive for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Teams have caught on though. They used to protect against the cross-ice pass to Stamkos on the PP. Now they recognize Kuch can just as easily hit Point in the slot. He's getting a lot tougher coverage over the past 4-6 games. Probably not a coincidence that Stamkos is getting a lot better looks over that same period.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I thought he was good a year ago but he's 6 points away from matching his last season point total.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I expected him to put up points, but this is getting insane. On pace for 50? 110 points?

We really don't have the same roster as last year, despite having all the same players. Some of them are very different this year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The team looks a lot more focused and hungry this year. They want to win every single night. I think they have the taste of losing left over in their mouth from the playoffs. Is this the year Stamkos and company can finally get over the hump and earn the cup?

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
2016-2017 SH% 14.8
2017-2018 SH% 14.7
2018-2018 SH% 23.9%

That SH% is not sustainable, as amazing as Point is, I'm worried he will get paid too much based on this year.

Ovechkin has a SH% career average of 12.6%, Stamkos 16.7% and Kucherov 14.6%, just to compare.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
2016-2017 SH% 14.8
2017-2018 SH% 14.7
2018-2018 SH% 23.9%

That SH% is not sustainable, as amazing as Point is, I'm worried he will get paid too much based on this year.

Ovechkin has a SH% career average of 12.6%, Stamkos 16.7% and Kucherov 14.6%, just to compare.
This gets thrown out a lot, and while there's definitely some truth to it, it's really overexaggerated. Look at where Point's shots are coming from:

shot-heat-map.png

vs his goals scored:

shot-heat-map.png

He's a very opportunistic shooter. It's not like he's shooting from everywhere and all of his shots are going in. Most of his goals scored are coming from right in the slot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The team looks a lot more focused and hungry this year. They want to win every single night. I think they have the taste of losing left over in their mouth from the playoffs. Is this the year Stamkos and company can finally get over the hump and earn the cup?
I don't even know that I agree that they're more hungry. I think the margin is more about Stamkos shooting the puck, Point going from a good 2C to an elite 1C, and McDonagh. And Johnson, and Joseph, and Cirelli, and Cernak, and Coburn, and Killorn. Even when we DO coast (and we do), we're good enough to either coast to a win, or wake up for two minutes and put our opponent down.

So many of our guys just look like peak versions of themselves. That wasn't true last year, even when we were winning--at least, it wasn't true up and down the lineup. Like, we didn't have this version of Coburn last year. And, even though Killorn put up decent points, he didn't look anywhere near this good on a nightly basis. Paquette. The list goes on and on. It just feels like, on any given night, it's only a matter of time before somebody gets it done. (...Usually it's Point.)

Reactions: Rschmitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->