Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I'll go with something around 5.8-6mil x 2-3 year bridge contract like the rest have taken.

He'll certainly cash in huge like Kuch and company did.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'll go with something around 5.8-6mil x 2-3 year bridge contract like the rest have taken.

He'll certainly cash in huge like Kuch and company did.
I mean is it unrealistic to see him sign a bridge deal like Kucherov did? Let’s bump it up by a million or so because the cap went up. Probably also just a dream I know.

Reactions: J T Money

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I mean is it unrealistic to see him sign a bridge deal like Kucherov did? Let’s bump it up by a million or so because the cap went up. Probably also just a dream I know.

It's certainly a possibility he rejects a lower bridge deal, it's just the culture of the team should convince him to take less at this time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Truth be told I see him taking about 3 years maximum. Something small and easy to get out of the woods with other signings and then he gets the big one. Point is at least an $8 million player at the rate. If he's going and to sign for a fraction of that amount I don't think his agent would advise he do so for a long time. Something like 2 years $12 million would not surprise me

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
3 years slightly more than 5M AAV, he doesn't strike me as being the guy who's going to break rank from all of the other core pieces and pull a Nylander.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I think he'll come down to Earth a little bit. He'll top out at ~85 points.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
id say 6-8 years at 7 milly myself ... for point those thinking 5 milly for 3 years are on crack just saying lol
Glad to see you posting again.

I think the hope (and past practice) implies we'll go for a bridge. Obviously that would depend on Point allowing it and how hard JBB will play hardball.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If it's a bridge it won't be for 3 years, nothing left to prove if he finishes this year as strong as he is now. Had Kucherov posted that 40 goal/85 point season on his last year of ELC we'd have seen a much bigger number on his "bridge." Point is on pace to do just that, if we bridge him it'll be for 2 years max to help with the cap.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The way the league is going, it seems that the bridge deals are dying for players who have had even just one year of top performance. Long-term deals signed after one year of top performance (and in at least one case, even without a single year): Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Eichel, Larkin (he got 6.1m per for 5 years after posting only 63 points in his 3rd year so you gotta think Point's baseline will be that at least), Barkov, Forsberg, and many more that I'm forgetting now.

I don't see how Point takes a bridge deal, assuming he finishes the year around or better than PPG. He'll get at least 7.5 million over 6 or more years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's a win-win. We bridge him, we solve short term issues. We lock him up, we've got one of the best two-way centers in the game locked up, probably for less than market value. Maybe it costs us an extra guy, but it solidifies the core. If salaries continue to get out of control, his deal will look like a steal regardless in 3 years.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A bridge is only in consideration because this is Tampa and they have a history of players taking team friendly deals, if it were any other team the only discussion would be a long term deal. Point would still get a raise, and get his big money after 1-2 years as Kucherov just did.

Even if he does sign a long term off the bat, it's not a big not like we'd considering moving Point, that just means one less depth guy next year. No biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad