Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One of the most noticeable things in his first year was that for a small guy he wasn't particularly quick, that's changed a lot.

Reactions: copperlion

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
I bet he takes less on his AAV than Marner when it's time to re-up.
100% truth. He will earn a raise for sure, but he has always seemed like a team first guy to me. I'm assuming if they can afford it, he will receive Kuch like money in the 9mil range. It also depends on Covid though and if the cap continues to stay flat. I think every NHL player is going to have to take a cut if the cap continues to stay flat. Your only other option is to go to Seattle, but they will fill up their cap extremely fast come next offseason.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
100% truth. He will earn a raise for sure, but he has always seemed like a team first guy to me. I'm assuming if they can afford it, he will receive Kuch like money in the 9mil range. It also depends on Covid though and if the cap continues to stay flat. I think every NHL player is going to have to take a cut if the cap continues to stay flat. Your only other option is to go to Seattle, but they will fill up their cap extremely fast come next offseason.

In hindsight, it seems like the only reason it took so long to hammer out his current deal was because they knew he wouldn't be ready to start the season. At the time it felt like massive negotiation problems, but, given how little panic there seemed to be from either side, I think they just knew they had a lot of time.

Just to add insult to injury they waited until after the Marner deal was announced.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
In hindsight, it seems like the only reason it took so long to hammer out his current deal was because they knew he wouldn't be ready to start the season. At the time it felt like massive negotiation problems, but, given how little panic there seemed to be from either side, I think they just knew they had a lot of time.

Just to add insult to injury they waited until after the Marner deal was announced.
agreed, I think the injury status was the big hold up... I don't think he was holding out for more money. Also there was that rumor that surfaced about Montreal trying to offer sheet him??? But he said no to a possible move there? There was something definitely going on there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
agreed, I think the injury status was the big hold up... I don't think he was holding out for more money. Also there was that rumor that surfaced about Montreal trying to offer sheet him??? But he said no to a possible move there? There was something definitely going on there.

Yeah, and that was more fact than rumor. Or at least it came from the top-end insiders. It also happened near the first of the FA period. The other thing was TB continued to get their other affairs in order that off-season, which, from the outside, seemed like they didn't care if they signed Point or not. But we had no idea the guy was coming off surgery. It's kind of insane to think that that news only broke after he signed.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
haha Yeah I started a bit of a fire storm with a Point vs Barzal discussion in the series thread on main forums. :D

There are very few players in the league I would trade Brayden Point for... A credit to his overall great play.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Could see Point getting 8. While he's our second best forward he hasn't quite earned that Kucherov money, which sets the limit/top end any current Tampa player will get.

Point just strikes me as a guy willing to buy into our "take a friendlier deal to benefit the team, but still getting paid a nice chunk"
We'll have to wait and see. Some hardware may help his cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad