Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Don’t know where else to ask but what’s up with point this year? I just traded seguin for him in my money fantasy league, was hat a bad trade or will point come back to husband normal self ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Having a fully healthy Point is a big deal, IMO. CBJ wasn't able to shut him down like they did last year.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Theres a noticeably difference between Point from last year and even some of this season to now. You can tell he's healthy. His speed is completely back and so is his confidence.

Point has to be like top 5 fastest skaters in the league

I think it's him and McDavid at the very top of the heap. I'm sure there are a handful of guys in that tier.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's not. The two of them had an actual race, and Point lost by a tenth of a second. And Point wasn't as fast then as he is now. I don't think it's bold at all to say they're in the same tier.
I think McDavid is on a tier of his own. It's not just his top speed but his skating as a whole and how he uses it. No one comes close imo.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's not. The two of them had an actual race, and Point lost by a tenth of a second. And Point wasn't as fast then as he is now. I don't think it's bold at all to say they're in the same tier.

I do remember that with the Skills Competition, but wasn't McDavid just getting over an injury or something? I could be wrong because I had a hard time believing it even then. McDavid is just a different animal because for a guy to hit that kind of top speed and with such control of the puck during an actual game is a rare treat and McDavid does it pretty much every other shift. He's the closest thing to Pavel Bure we're gonna get for a long time. If Point learned how to use his speed as effectively as McDavid.....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I do remember that with the Skills Competition, but wasn't McDavid just getting over an injury or something? I could be wrong because I had a hard time believing it even then. McDavid is just a different animal because for a guy to hit that kind of top speed and with such control of the puck during an actual game is a rare treat and McDavid does it pretty much every other shift. He's the closest thing to Pavel Bure we're gonna get for a long time. If Point learned how to use his speed as effectively as McDavid.....

His best ever time is 3/10 of a second faster than Point's, which is significant, but Point has improved too. So is McDavid faster in a one-on-one race? Probably. But Point is right there. Point's game just isn't based around straight line speed nearly as much.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Right but a bunch of guys are in "McDavid" tier at the all-star game and Barzal beat him, it's different in game with the puck. I watch way too much McDavid working in Edmonton and he's clearly above everyone else in game situations. I think Point right now has the same type of acceleration as McDavid but not the top end speed, no one does, he just gets faster and faster and creates an outside lane out of nowhere, he can blow by 2 guys in 2 different zones of the ice frequently.

Point's very smart with his speed though, his favorite move seems to be blowing past one guy in the neutral zone, gaining the line, curling back and then creating a cycle, he doesn't do the Drouin thing where he needs to try and blow past everyone.

Reactions: aessi

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
His best ever time is 3/10 of a second faster than Point's, which is significant, but Point has improved too. So is McDavid faster in a one-on-one race? Probably. But Point is right there. Point's game just isn't based around straight line speed nearly as much.

To be faaaaiiiiiiirrrrrrrrr *silence gesture*

The Oilers have structured their entire breakout on McDavid running the "fly route" through the neutral zone literally every time he has the puck. Point maybe gets like one or two chances per game to actually do it and when he does we can't believe ourselves. I would like to see Point do it more this series because it will effectively neutralize the CBJ's entire defense strategy and damn them into doing it or not doing it because you can risk sending the field to stop Point and risk him passing to someone wide open. He can burn you that way. Or you don't do it and Point burns you on his own

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad