Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sounds about right. Stop the panic. Everybody, including JBB and Point, want to get this done.

By the looks of it you and @Sky04 called it. I had concerns that JBB was not gonna budge off his number despite the fact everyone here that number was a lowball and JBB had to know there was no way $5.7 million was gonna get it done. Gladly it looks like I was wrong about the staring contest. Given how everything was on radio silence until just now since the Marner signing it made me wonder if JBB hadn't even so much as countered with a higher number. Can't wait to hear about the tax whining

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well the only time Boeser played less than 60 games was his rookie year which was 9 games after his NCAA season ended. Even playing 20 less games than Point two seasons ago he almost had the same number of goals. Why should we pay him more because one team keeps overpaying their players while all others have been paying closer to fair value?

Even excluding the Toronto players, here are 5 other top RFA forwards extended in the last 2 years:

Draisaitl: 8.5m x 8years
Keller: 7.15m x 8 years
Eichel: 10m x 8 years
Boeser: 5.875m x 3 years
Konecny: 5.5m x 6 years

Point's asking price of 7.5~m puts him right in the middle of the pack despite having the highest scoring season of any of these players coming off their ELC.

Jack Eichel had a career high 64 points and 25 goals at time of signing, Draisaitl at the time of signing had a career high 29 goals and 77 points, so no it's not just one team - it's the market and Point is actually taking a discount at his ask.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Decided to create a separate thread for the extension for future reference. Let's return to discussing Point's on-ice performance etc. I guess he'll be in the lineup for the next pre-season game eh?

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Decided to create a separate thread for the extension for future reference. Let's return to discussing Point's on-ice performance etc. I guess he'll be in the lineup for the next pre-season game eh?
Apparently not. Strange how tight lipped they were about this since it's going to last into the regular season... So much for getting him up to speed before the season.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well I guess worrying about him missing training camp because of the contract issue was a moot point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Apparently not. Strange how tight lipped they were about this since it's going to last into the regular season... So much for getting him up to speed before the season.

Well. Now we know why there wasn't much urgency.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Consider that, if, for any reason, this year we won't win...it'll be impossible to enter here without reading insults... LUL LUL
lol, well the thread was created to cause a stir and/or jinx. I'm not taking it seriously which is why I voted 3 :D

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018

Well. Now we know why there wasn't much urgency.

Gotta love the irony of this info coming out a couple of hours after the contract announcement.
With all the speculations about the contract negotiations, nobody saw this one coming.
No wonder JBB was not worried about having our boy signed "in time".

No leakage coming out of Tampa Bay. Amazing.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hope Point comes back from the surgery ok. Not happy with the time he’s going to miss but we need him for the playoffs. Come back when he’s ready to go. We don’t need to chase any records next year. Just win the cup!
Will be nice to get Cirelli some bigger mins to. See how he handles it.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Lol they just closed that TB cap crunch thread.
RFiJNyN.gif

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Another great signing by JBB. IF points improves he is sitting himself up with a huge deal from us or someone else. If he regressed we can save money on the next deal. Lets hope we close the cup in the three year window. We will have some contracts coming off the books when it is time to sign Point again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->