Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Both of those contracts were signed in very different labour environments though. Dubas probably overpaid (let's see how they fare this year), but hoping he signs anything more than a bridge for 6.3 seems unrealistic, even with the team friendly aspect. Point at 6.5 for term (even as little as 5 years) is probably the best contract in the NHL.
I indicated point was in between and I fully understand when Mac was signed. I think it is perfectly in the relm of 8 to 9 mil for a term contract. A bridge makes no sense to pay him 7-8 only to have to turn around and go past 10 on his next contract no matter what the new CBA does. I still contend that 8.5 long term should get the deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I indicated point was in between and I fully understand when Mac was signed. I think it is perfectly in the relm of 8 to 9 mil for a term contract. A bridge makes no sense to pay him 7-8 only to have to turn around and go past 10 on his next contract no matter what the new CBA does. I still contend that 8.5 long term should get the deal.

Only at 5 years, which makes his next contract INSANELY high, while also handcuffing us at the TDL.

The bridge deal gives us flexibility. Yes, it means we're gonna have to pay him again, but he's the last piece of the core not locked up, so it'll be easier than in other years. It also means his deal will end as an RFA again, which is a huge point of leverage to keep the AAV a little lower.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Agree to disagree on this one! Point for 8.5/7-8 years is an incredible contract. Draisaitl got that kind of deal after accomplishing less, in a less friendly RFA environment. 8.5x5 seems more realistic, but if I had to put money on it, I think comes in close to 8 on a 3 year bridge. As @DFC mentions, then you can lock him up with no other core pieces left over, likely with a higher team cap limit.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
giphy.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Both of those contracts were signed in very different labour environments though. Dubas probably overpaid (let's see how they fare this year), but hoping he signs anything more than a bridge for 6.3 seems unrealistic, even with the team friendly aspect. Point at 6.5 for term (even as little as 5 years) is probably the best contract in the NHL.

Yes he overpaid but alternatively he did not LOSE any talent this year, I find it weird somehow retaining talent (even overpaid) has a stigma that a team is worse off. They should be just as good if not better this year with Nylander to start the season and Barrie as an addition. Unused capspace doesn't produce any points.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I guess you're right. In this new world where everything that matters is on a per game basis, we should probably only be using comparables who played fewer than 60 games in recent years.
Well the only time Boeser played less than 60 games was his rookie year which was 9 games after his NCAA season ended. Even playing 20 less games than Point two seasons ago he almost had the same number of goals. Why should we pay him more because one team keeps overpaying their players while all others have been paying closer to fair value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad