Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
point couldnt go into this thinking would get more then hedman stamkos if they did his agent is a moron or point is too greedy plain and simple... im ok with jbb playing hardball if he wanted marner type money or even over 8 F them .... now i do not see this as case i see 1.5 more as a target number puts 7ish which again to me is too high for 3 years but palatable

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
There is zero precedent with the organization with this. Our 3 troublemakers all got moved because of their personality. Drouin, DeAngelo, and Dotchin...wait we really have problems with players names who start with "D".
Explains why there’s not a single player left on the preseason roster with a name starting with d. thinkingface

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
point couldnt go into this thinking would get more then hedman stamkos if they did his agent is a moron or point is too greedy plain and simple... im ok with jbb playing hardball if he wanted marner type money or even over 8 F them .... now i do not see this as case i see 1.5 more as a target number puts 7ish which again to me is too high for 3 years but palatable
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - RFA Update> Brayden Point Situation Worsening.....Jack Hughes Dazzles..

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
The fact that he had an extremely high shooting % of 21.5 would make me very hesitant to pay him like a legit 40 goal scorer before I was able to see him do it again.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The fact that he had an extremely high shooting % of 21.5 would make me very hesitant to pay him like a legit 40 goal scorer before I was able to see him do it again.

Nobody's talking about paying him like a 40 goal scorer. We're talking about how much of 8.5 to give him.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Nobody's talking about paying him like a 40 goal scorer. We're talking about how much of 8.5 to give him.
But people are talking about making him the highest paid player in franchise history after the bridge

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But people are talking about making him the highest paid player in franchise history after the bridge

That's more about the salary cap than Point. His percentage of the cap will likely be lower than Kuch's (at the time Kuch signed), but it's still likely to work out to more real dollars. Especially if the TV deal boosts the cap.

But regardless, that's a 2022 problem. Nobody's talking about doing that now.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
That's more about the salary cap than Point. His percentage of the cap will likely be lower than Kuch's (at the time Kuch signed), but it's still likely to work out to more real dollars. Especially if the TV deal boosts the cap.

But regardless, that's a 2022 problem. Nobody's talking about doing that now.

If he never beats his production this season (I think he could; probably more likely than a significant regression, but we just don’t know), I don’t see it (highest paid player) happening now or ‘22. This is such a shitty situation because I think Point is worth maybe 8m long term right now. I’d much rather give him that now then 10+++ in a few years.

Nobody is saying “make him the highest paid player” now, but they are already planning to do it in the future before we see if he is as good as we think he is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he never beats his production this season (I think he could; probably more likely than a significant regression, but we just don’t know), I don’t see it (highest paid player) happening now or ‘22. This is such a ****ty situation because I think Point is worth maybe 8m long term right now. I’d much rather give him that now then 10+++ in a few years.

Nobody is saying “make him the highest paid player” now, but they are already planning to do it in the future before we see if he is as good as we think he is.

I don't think we have the money to sign him long-term. It would probably take more than 8.5.

The thing about your second paragraph is nobody's trying to offer him that contract now. We assume he's good enough to get it. If he's not, he's not. Even then, it depends on where the cap is though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Except a legit 40 goal scorer would take more than 8.5m.....

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
People talk about shiny new toys and then talk about paying Brayden Point unprecedented bridge money after one 90 point season.

Oh sorry I forgot 90 point scorers on their ELC's come by often or ones that can go ppg through 3 playoff rounds.

I mean, we could just trade Point I would love to see what anyone can come up with to use that 5.7m. Could pick up a nice Andrew Ladd type player off free agency.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Oh sorry I forgot 90 point scorers on their ELC's come by often or ones that can go ppg through 3 playoff rounds.

I mean, we could just trade Point I would love to see what anyone can come up with to use that 5.7m. Could pick up a nice Andrew Ladd type player off free agency.

iu

:naughty:

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I think we all forget Point was also playing with Stammer and Kuch I think that obviously helped him have the season he did. I don’t think he can come in demanding more then Stanmer,Kuch, Heddy after one 90 point season

Reactions: Critical91

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Its gotta be down to $$$ right, didn't his agent said he was fine with a bridge or long term deal? I don't think term is the problem

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its gotta be down to $$$ right, didn't his agent said he was fine with a bridge or long term deal? I don't think term is the problem

Yeah. JBB is probably fighting for the ability to sign Point AND save enough space for a TDL acquisition. Point is just fighting for a deal at least somewhat comparable to his peers. It'll get done at some point. They know the max dollars available.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Apparently the Ave's offer to Rantanen is in the neighborhood of 8.5m x 6.

Unlikely Rantanen signs for that, but still, it's a good sign for us that the Aves are fighting to get his cap hit down. If he signs for 9 or less, Point probably gets done the next day.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Apparently the Ave's offer to Rantanen is in the neighborhood of 8.5m x 6.

Unlikely Rantanen signs for that, but still, it's a good sign for us that the Aves are fighting to get his cap hit down. If he signs for 9 or less, Point probably gets done the next day.

After this many signings I feel like that's unlikely. It feels like JBB is going for "3 years $5.7 million" or bust. I'm not getting any sense that there's any willingness to change the offer because given the Marner signing and that there's apparently been no new traction since then, I can't say I'm optimistic that we've moved off "our number." I'm really starting to think that was less a low ball and more a "This is what our cap monkeys came up with. Sign here please"

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
After this many signings I feel like that's unlikely. It feels like JBB is going for "3 years $5.7 million" or bust. I'm not getting any sense that there's willingness to change the offer because given the Marner signing and that there's apparently been no new traction since then, I can't say I'm optimistic that we've moved off "our number." I'm really starting to think that was less a low ball and more a "This is what our cap monkeys came up with. Sign here please"
If JBB insists on such a low AAV, the term would have to change to 2 years. And even then it'll be unlikely he signs. I can't see Point signing 3 years at 5.7.
But I can see the offer being higher now, something like 3 years and 6.67 AAV. Point is waiting for something closer to 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopers Gum and DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad