News: Brayden Point open to bridge, 5-year or even 8-year extension with Tampa as per agent

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Nylander with FAR worse stats signed for 7milx6. If Point, who is a spectacular player signs for something like 8x8, then this league is officially broken. I would hope at that point the league does whatever it takes to fix it. I don’t care if we miss a whole nhl season or two. I don’t care if it breaks the entire league apart and it loses a few teams. It would NEED to be fixed. I don’t care what if ****ing takes.
I don't get what is wrong? It's apart of negotiating where two parties reach a consensus or one caves. Look at my prior posts about how the taxes work before that becomes the narrative. The biggest issue is the media and toxic fans in a place like Toronto that apply so much pressure on the players and the team. Toronto has a pressure tax imposed and they pay more for contracts because of it.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Nylander with FAR worse stats signed for 7milx6. If Point, who is a spectacular player signs for something like 8x8, then this league is officially broken. I would hope at that point the league does whatever it takes to fix it. I don’t care if we miss a whole nhl season or two. I don’t care if it breaks the entire league apart and it loses a few teams. It would NEED to be fixed. I don’t care what if ****ing takes.

How exactly is it broken? Because a good player signed for a good deal? Not Tampa’s fault leaf players went full greed

Reactions: dukeofjive

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Depends on what happens if Tampa actually wins. Once you get that Cup things can change.
Yeah that's a big question too. There's such a feeling that this team is right on the verge of a Cup and I think that helps in the whole "We're really close, but we need another piece. You taking less money can get us that piece" stuff.

It'll be interesting to see if it helps or hurts in future negotiations with UFAs and internal pieces. Either they want to chase the cash or build on the core that's there and chase more Cups.

I'm excited and scared to see how that plays out if Tampa can close the deal.

Reactions: wintersej

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How would it be broken? GMs giving out bad deals and other GMs getting good deals doesn’t mean the league is broken. The Toronto deals aren’t even that bad. If Nylander gets back up to 60 points next year and Matthews is healthy it’ll be fine.

If Point wants to win and likes Tampa and takes less money then good for him

Agreed.

People don't seem to get that every situation is unique. Toronto front loaded Matthews deal in signing bonuses so he's only taxed at a flat 15% rate on a majority of his deal. If he went home to Arizone he'd be taxed at like 40%. That's an advantage to signing an American to a deal like that as a Canadian team.

Tampa can offer Point a lower AAV but more take home money then any Canadian team because of their tax situation.

There's nothing broken in these systems. Many NHL systems ARE broken but the negotiating aspect with every market being unique will never go away.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Toronto: We will sign all of them. Agent says no hometown discount, my player should get all the money

Tampa: Agent says the player really like it there and is open to do whats best for Tampa

I think its fair to say that low taxes isnt the only reason Tampa has a lot of good contracts.
Youre right..... everyone also gets a no movement clause in Tampa.
It must be nice knowing you never have to leave the beach. Just ask Ryan Callahan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
LOL.

Massive market.............Tiny market
Super wealthy team...........financially precarious team
Fishbowl/media hell............place where everyone cares more about Nascar than hockey
1st OA Superstar...............Brayden Point

Yeah.

Super comparable.
Tampa isn’t financially precarious, nor does anyone care about nascar here (it’s all bolts and Bucs), nor is Point anything but a superstar

Reactions: dukeofjive

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
More people in Florida watch Auto racing than hockey. College Football too.

Hockey is the 6th most popular sport there.

Sure there are fans and the team is great, but lets not kid ourselves.
So why does it matter at all if the sport support in the State is low if the support by the fans for the specific team in question is some of the best in the league?

Oh it doesn't? You just wanted to rehash a tired narrative from a decade ago?

Got it.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'd easily do 8 x 8.5 for Brayden Point with no state income tax here in Florida. That's pretty much like $10 million to $10.5 million in other States.
Only problem is that Point can't sign a no movement clause in Tampa because of his age
All the players that have signed "discounts" to stay in Tampa have done so with a no movement clause. This guarantees them that they stay in Tampa and continue to benefit from the tax breaks.
This cannot apply to Point so don't be so sure in what he does.
They could sign him to a "discount" and trade him whenever they want. He would be one of very few pieces in Tampa that they could actually move.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Point is awesome and better than a lot of the guys he is compared to. However he is not better than Matthews. Matthews might be the best player in the world.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So your GM signed a player to a really bad deal, but it's someone elses fault that the system is broken? GTFOH

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if TB gets him at a good number. I think other GM's will be looking at this deal carefully. Hopefully GM Brisebois brings back some normalcy after The Dubas/Matthews high priced signing. Which will get RFA contracts back in check for other RFA's.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How exactly is it broken? Because a good player signed for a good deal? Not Tampa’s fault leaf players went full greed

It's not that, but you would have to wonder if the NHLPA would be happy if Point signs for something stupid low.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think they'd take more issue with the Nylander deal than anything Point signed for.

I think the PA want's to see players only get paid more, and if Point were to sign for something silly like 8x8, I would have to think they would not be happy.

Regardless, he is a terrific player, and I am happy he may get a long term deal.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I hear the Applebee's there is amazing. :)

Personally I’d prefer Bern’s for a Cup celebration dinner, but I understand if you simple folk prefer more plebeian fare.

Speaking of Cup celebrations, when’s the last time you guys had one of those again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad