News: Brayden Point open to bridge, 5-year or even 8-year extension with Tampa as per agent

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So your GM signed a player to a really bad deal, but it's someone elses fault that the system is broken? GTFOH

Several financial models predicted Nylanders contract within 11k back in May. It's not a bad deal, it's literally exactly market value. Tampa consistently gets players below market value. You guys can pretend it's because "players believe in this team" enough, that's your business.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Several financial models predicted Nylanders contract within 11k back in May. It's not a bad deal, it's literally exactly market value. Tampa consistently gets players below market value. You guys can pretend it's because "players believe in this team" enough, that's your business.
giphy.gif

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I know, but he was suppose to be the real deal... he's showing he's definitely not..
Tavares hockey's pretty good.
The team is 2nd in the division, behind arguably the best team in the NHL

Grasping at straws if he is defined by his Matthews contract....nylander holdout. If we were dwindling like 'expected good teams' imagine the uproar.

If Toronto was Colorado, St.louis.... imagine. Just think about it. Toronto is having a good year, and still. Heck this is a Braydon Point thread.....annnnd we are talking about how bad Dubas/Leafs are.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So your GM signed a player to a really bad deal, but it's someone elses fault that the system is broken? GTFOH
Whenever anyone posts about Dubas overpayments compared to teams like Tampa, everyone SCREAMS about taxes. They SCREAM taxes at me in megaphones. So loudly it’s starting to affect my hearing. It’s louder than a jet engine.

So, of course, the second I say this should be fixed in the next cba, the narrative immediately changes to “geez, taxes don’t even matter man.” There’s no consistency.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Whenever anyone posts about Dubas overpayments compared to teams like Tampa, everyone SCREAMS about taxes. They SCREAM taxes at me in megaphones. So loudly it’s starting to affect my hearing. It’s louder than a jet engine.

So, of course, the second I say this should be fixed in the next cba, the narrative immediately changes to “geez, taxes don’t even matter man.” There’s no consistency.

State/province taxes don't matter. You can tell because there are 4 NHL teams with no state income tax, and literally the only time anyone ever cries about it is with Tampa. It's almost as if they're just very well-managed.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So why is it that Kucherov, an objectively superior player to Matthews, earns 2M per year less, signed for 3 more years, and gave up 7 UFA years? If Tampa sucks to play in so much they must need to pay more than Toronto?

Kucherov is great and deserves more, for sure. But AGAIN..........small market team with precarious finances, and they can't afford it and everyone including Kucherov's agent, knows it. Luckily, it's offset by the non-State taxes things, so good for him. He's an amazing player.

And I wasn't the one who started all this. Read the start of the thread. Right away people started crapping on Dubas and the Leafs, out of nowhere.

SO THIS IS WHAT YOU GET.

:)

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Kucherov is great and deserves more, for sure. But AGAIN..........small market team with precarious finances, and they can't afford it and everyone including Kucherov's agent, knows it. Luckily, it's offset by the non-State taxes things, so good for him. He's an amazing player.

And I wasn't the one who started all this. Read the start of the thread. Right away people started crapping on Dubas and the Leafs, out of nowhere.

SO THIS IS WHAT YOU GET.

:)

How is Tampa's financial situation precarious? :laugh:

Clueless.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
How is Tampa's financial situation precarious? :laugh:

Clueless.

Tampa's operating income for last year, according to Forbes magazine, is only 7 million bucks, Man. That's far from a comfortable number for a big NHL team. I'm betting Point will make more each year than the team does. ;)

Clueless.

Corvus Corax

Prospectin
Apr 22, 2005
Northern BC
It would be great to see Point sign an 8yr 8.5/9 contract. Man I am jealous of how that team has been run. Drafting of homegrown talent, signings, some of their trading. Well run franchise.:yo:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tampa's operating income for last year, according to Forbes magazine, is only 7 million bucks, Man. That's far from a comfortable number for a big NHL team. I'm betting Point will make more each year than the team does. ;)

Clueless.
Tampa's owner is a multi billionaire who owns a team as a hobby. He makes the team affordable for the common consumer while still icing a top tier team. It's no surprise with him as our owner out team has gone nothing but up. He also is spending hundreds of millions rejuvenating the surrounding area around the arena. The man is probably one of the best owners in the NHL.

Do you even look anything up before speaking?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
they are creating a long term positive, team synergy and winning environment. All of Tampa players took some kind of discount to help the team because it's not a individual sport.,.Toronto doesn't understand how to build a contender team like Tampa.

toronto window ? 5 years Max
Tampa ? 10+
It's not just that. Toronto has to pay their guys to want to stay there. Almost like it's a chore to play for the Maple Leafs.

In Tampa, they are known to take less money than what they could get elsewhere to stick together. Everybody's happy to stay there and it shows just from their contracts.

And I guess the state taxes advantage. *shrug*

Sure Point is open to:

3 years * $8 million
5 years * $10 million
8 years * $12 million
This will be a great post to quote and laugh at later.

Mark. My. Words.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I mean eventually Tampa is going to run into a guy who isn't willing to take a discount, and I won't blame them. These guys want to win, but still need to look out for their future and the future of their families.

I just don't think Point will be the guy to break that trend. I don't imagine any of the drafted and raised guys in the Tampa organization will.
If you can't provide for your future and your family with even 5 million a year... then you're doing something seriously, horribly wrong.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

You can keep repeating that we have precarious finances but it doesn’t make it any more true than any of the other nonsense you’ve been spouting about Tampa. Our owner is ridiculously wealthy and has absolutely zero problem spending money on the team. Maybe if you’d pull your head out of the orifice you’re constantly talking out of you’d be able to see that.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Ya i was just wondering to myself if Point/agent will wait till Marner does his crazy thing first and gets his 11ish per year before he signs his discounted deal. Let the Leafs continue to get themselves in their mess Dubas is doing. Cause if Point signs a friendly deal, that would forsurely cause TO to attempt to bargain Marners deal waaaaay down.

But then again i dont think the Tampa guys really care whats going on elsewhere and they just do whats best for their team

Yeah fair enough. I can't disagree. It'll be interesting to see. Itd be nice to see a Leaf willing to go a bit lower for the good of the team.... for the players that will surround you. Definitely would go a long way to help out. Not counting on it at this point though.

Regardless of price sure beats missing the playoffs forever.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Pacioretty for Tatar Suzuki and mid 2nd round pick
Galchenyuk for Domi
Ahlers for Kulak (who is better than any Toronto defensemen not named Reilly Muzzin)
Simon Bourque for Mason (buyout) Joel Armia 7th rd pick 2019 fourth round pick 2020
Plekanec for 2nd round pick (Olofsson)
5th round pick for Mike Reilly
Montoya for 4th round pick
Jakub Jerabek for 5th round pick

Zack Redmond for Deslauriers
2018 7th round pick for 2017 7th round pick (Cayden Primeau)
Drouin for Sergachev (jury is still out)

Bergevin made a couple of bad moves since hired but lately. he has been doing a great job at stockpilling the picks and making trades...

I agree with your point that Bergevin's made some solid moves recently but a few mid/late round picks aren't exactly groundbreaking, and saying Kulak would be the 3rd best D-man on the Leafs is just incredibly ignorant. Also, are you honestly considering a swap of 7th round picks in a list of great moves?:laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ya i was just wondering to myself if Point/agent will wait till Marner does his crazy thing first and gets his 11ish per year before he signs his discounted deal. Let the Leafs continue to get themselves in their mess Dubas is doing. Cause if Point signs a friendly deal, that would forsurely cause TO to attempt to bargain Marners deal waaaaay down.

But then again i dont think the Tampa guys really care whats going on elsewhere and they just do whats best for their team

Good question SJ? I wonder if other GM's around the NHL will just point to what Dubas is doing in inflating the market with unfriendly non discount team contracts and call them outliers compared to how other teams have negotiated more fiscally responsible contracts. And you can't use what Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are making to negotiate a more realistic contract. Toronto got themselves into this mess with Dubas spending money like a druken sailor. Let them pay for their cap troubles. I don't see why other teams should be penalized for this.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
State/province taxes don't matter. You can tell because there are 4 NHL teams with no state income tax, and literally the only time anyone ever cries about it is with Tampa. It's almost as if they're just very well-managed.
It’s the combination of good management as well as the tax situation which gives an unfair advantage.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It’s the combination of good management as well as the tax situation which gives an unfair advantage.
And which tax situation? If you read the plethora of other posts aside from just burying your head in the sand and actually pay attention, Matthews literally just avoided almost 90% of his taxes by the structure of his contract. Tavares is in the same boat.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
high end players would be silly to sign any deal over 5 years. NBC's contract expires in 2021. Apparently Bettman working on a massive new US TV deal that will beat sportsnet 5 billion dollar TV contract (10 years). The cap will be 95-100 million in 5 years. could be even more.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad