News: Brayden Point open to bridge, 5-year or even 8-year extension with Tampa as per agent

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
LOL.

Massive market.............Tiny market
Super wealthy team...........financially precarious team
Fishbowl/media hell............place where everyone cares more about Nascar than hockey
1st OA Superstar...............Brayden Point

Yeah.

Super comparable.

Lol

Do you think Matthews is that much better than Point?.. Like honestly?.. I know who id prefer out of those 2

Those comparables would make me wanna be in Tampa even more!

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I want to hate on Dubas but the end result is that you only become a good negotiator with experience. He has very little. It's no surprise he's getting taken advantage of.

I will say I am not a fan of the Mattews contract right now but I think we need to wait until this summer when all these big name RFAs sign to judge what Dubas has done.

For the decade coming out of the lockout it was very common for players to take six year deals at a reasonable rate, with the understanding that teams held all the leverage on RFAs. This all changed when Chiarelli spent like a drunk sailor and gave two kids coming off ELCs basically UFA money and making McDavid the highest paid player in the entire league. Yes, he is the best player in the league but there is precedence - look at what guys like Crosby and Malkin did as RFAs coming off their ELCs.

I have a feeling moving forward the convention thinking that you will be able to sign RFAs for cheap deals for 5-6 years is about to go out the window.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Everyone crying about taxes are just eating up what Canadian media feeds us to not complain about deals

Signing bonuses aren’t taxed at the same rate as salary. Not to mention that receiving 15.2 mil on July 1 allows you to make way more money through investment as opposed to receiving 11.64 in bimonthly payments over 12 months

Rich teams still have the advantage, the players in Tampa take a cut because they like it there and they want to win more than any other reason. It’s part of the culture

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I will say I am not a fan of the Mattews contract right now but I think we need to wait until this summer when all these big name RFAs sign to judge what Dubas has done.

For the decade coming out of the lockout it was very common for players to take six year deals at a reasonable rate, with the understanding that teams held all the leverage on RFAs. This all changed when Chiarelli spent like a drunk sailor and gave two kids coming off ELCs basically UFA money and making McDavid the highest paid player in the entire league. Yes, he is the best player in the league but there is precedence - look at what guys like Crosby and Malkin did as RFAs coming off their ELCs.

I have a feeling moving forward the convention thinking that you will be able to sign RFAs for cheap deals for 5-6 years is about to go out the window.

If only the Oilers could've signed McDavid to a $9.7m cap hit.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sign a bridge now (2-3 years) and ideally win that Cup. Then ask for the big money.

Taking an 8 year 'discount' seems rather pessimistic if it's in hope of winning. I think TB will win shortly.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I wonder if maybe, just maybe, playing on perhaps the most stacked roster in the league helps these guys in Tampa want to stay for reasonable prices. Sure, the no state taxes helps, but that can't be the whole story.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
LOL. Uh-huh. :)

Hmm, Point is top-10 in points, an elite goal-scorer and an incredible defensive player. Matthews is just one of those things.

Face it buddy, Matthews is overpaid.

Point at 8.5>>Matthews at 11.63 and that is straight facts

Reactions: dukeofjive

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder if maybe, just maybe, playing on perhaps the most stacked roster in the league helps these guys in Tampa want to stay for reasonable prices. Sure, the no state taxes helps, but that can't be the whole story.
Exactly. A well-run org with great players and a winning culture, a rich owner investing in the city and community, beaches and nice weather help too.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
You mouth breathers even show up in a Brayden Point thread to voice your insecurities about the Leafs hahahahaha
I love you guys.
The Leafs sit 4th in the NHL standings despite their recent "struggles". They are loaded with young talent and are set for years.
The Montreal Canadiens do have Carrie Price and his grandpa Shea Weber though. They also have that one other guy with the Cindy Crawford mole so they are set.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I read this quote opposite to the rest of you. Sounds like Tampa isn't willing to meet Points demands for long term and the compromise will be a similar deal to Matthews, probably in the low 10s, 5 years

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
31 GMS would take Matthews over Point and THAT is a straight fact. I've got nothing against Point.......I think he's a great player. But you guys are getting silly buggers over him. Calm down. :)
I don't disagree with that, but is Matthews $3M better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad