Speculation: Brayden Point Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Today’s RFAs don’t like that so they’re playing hardball but teams have every right to do the same in return.

Todays RFA's just want to be treated like their performance peers rather than be boxed in out of line expectations set by the combination of
-a couple of clearly below market contracts
-a lacklustre half decade of ELC performances
-lag compression caused by turn of the decade UFA's having artificially low caphits vs. what they were paid

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Todays RFA's just want to be treated like their performance peers rather than be boxed in out of line expectations set by the combination of
-a couple of clearly below market contracts
-a lacklustre half decade of ELC performances
-lag compression caused by turn of the decade UFA's having artificially low caphits vs. what they were paid
Then, in 8-9 years, they're also going to want their money guaranteed. Like @AndreRoy said, they can't have it both ways. They came to a compromise on this CBA with the owners, if they didn't like it they could have opted out. Apparently, the way things have been done (RFAs typically signing for less) is fine by the majority of the players or they would have opted out of the current CBA.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I am a big fan of the NHL, NFL, and MLB. Why is it that the NHL is the only league where I see so much whining about Florida not having state income taxes??? I don't read this nonsense about the NFL or MLB teams in Florida, so why is it such a big deal to NHL fans? Genuinely curious..
Because the lightenings gm was able to get their players signed to team friendly deals.

Fans of other teams would rather blame it on “unfair tax advantages” than just admit Tampa’s gm is better than their teams gm.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
LOL. Nah.

There are a bunch more than 10 Centres our there who every GM in the league would take ahead of Aho. His big ONE 80+ point season doesn't make him a top 10 guy. He's somewhere after these guys.

McDavid
Crosby
McKinnon
Stamkos
Tavares
Matthews
Barkov
Bergeron
Point
Seguin
Scheifele
Monahan

Malkin
Kuznetsov
Kopitar
Backstrom
Toews
Pavelski

Say what you want, Point, Monahan have also just had "one big year" despite being one year and two years older respectively, Point playing with better players. Scheifele, Kuznetsov have more seasons behind their belts and their best seasons are comparable to Aho's last season. Matthews we're still waiting to see a dominant season, I'm not gonna debate on that.

and Come on, I take Aho 10/10 before Pavelski this coming year. He might already be better than guys like Backstrom/Toews today (not arguing about their careers, but their play as of this coming season). Seguin is another one on this list to have had a career year of 84 points.

So humm the case of Aho already being or very close to being a top 10 center is not completely baseless

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I am a big fan of the NHL, NFL, and MLB. Why is it that the NHL is the only league where I see so much whining about Florida not having state income taxes??? I don't read this nonsense about the NFL or MLB teams in Florida, so why is it such a big deal to NHL fans? Genuinely curious..

Because misinformation is being spread like wild fire on this site.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There are a lot of good players in this league, an easy mistake to include anyone on a top list and then have to back track

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Well there’s no hard cap in the MLB. And the NFL doesn’t have guaranteed contracts.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I imagine it has to do with how inflexible the NHL cap is compared to those other leagues.

Question for Tampa Fans - how is Johnson doing these days? I remember that deal was a huge steal when he signed it, but he gets lost in the mix in Tampa, with all the young talent on that team. Are you happy with him at 5mm over the next 5 years? I see he has a NTC - if he didn't would he be a guy you are interested in moving?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Just a heads up to everyone that an NHL player's bottom line isn't just based on the income tax of the state or province they live in. There is so much more involved in a professional athletes tax return that people just aren't aware of. The link below explain just one of the very many tactics used to save athletes on the tax they pay.

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes

I didnt hear about it until Stamkos chose TB over Toronto when everybody "knew" he was going to go to Toronto and that no deal TB could give would be more with the endorsements Toronto could give. Then when Stamkos and Hedman signed for less than many thought they would, "OMG TAXES!!!!"

If you guys truly want to reduce the amount of Leaf fans coming into your threads, you might want to stop baiting them with posts like these...it's just inviting more Matthews/Dubas etc banter. I'm more interested in Point.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Then, in 8-9 years, they're also going to want their money guaranteed. Like @AndreRoy said, they can't have it both ways. They came to a compromise on this CBA with the owners, if they didn't like it they could have opted out. Apparently, the way things have been done (RFAs typically signing for less) is fine by the majority of the players or they would have opted out of the current CBA.

By and large star RFA's don't sign for less. By performance peers I mean players that had comparable bodies of work coming off of ELC's.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Because the lightenings gm was able to get their players signed to team friendly deals.

Fans of other teams would rather blame it on “unfair tax advantages” than just admit Tampa’s gm is better than their teams gm.

Exactly, most of this complaining comes from fans of Canadian teams. Canadian tax law has an advantage that puts pretty much puts us on par with the No state tax teams. The use of a RCA (retirement compensation Agreement). It is so advantageous that the NBA's CBA prohibits their use as it would unfairly advantage one team - The Raptors.

Using an RCA, up to half of a players salary can be directed to a retirement account. Player cannot access it until retirement (it is invested and accumulates). In retirement the money is taxed when it is withdrawn. The real benefit is if the player is a resident of a lower or no tax jurisdiction on retirement. Assume Tavares has one for this contract. lets say he instructs that half of his pay goes to the RCA so 5.5M a year. He will get the other 5.5M each year and pay taxes on it based on his current situation residency etc.

After retirement he can move to Texas and withdraw a million. Since he is not a Canadian resident at this point he pays tax to Canada at the treaty rate of 15%. (150K) He will file a return in Texas and pay about 35% tax 350K but he gets credit for the foreign tax paid so really Canada gets 150K and the IRS gets 200K and he is left with 650K.

But wait he has always liked Monaco that has no income tax. He moves there and withdraws the million. Since Canada does not have a tax treaty with Monaco he pays the full withholding rate of Canada 25% or 250K to Canada and $0 to Monaco. He can earn up to 1/2 of his salary and pay ultimately only 25% on it. Some other vehicles on the 5.5 he is taxed on each year- use of signing bonus etc (esp for a non canadian) and he can pay much less than 50% on that.

Someone like Matthews who is from Arizona can have the best of both worlds. He can use a RCA to tax 1/2 his salary as low as 25%. He can spend less than 183 days in Canada a year and keep Arizona has a residence for taxation purposes. Because most of his salary is signing bonus that can be taxed in Arizona at 35%. He can effectively pay 30% overall fairly easily- that advantage is not available to any player on a US team.

Reactions: MaxDummy

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
By and large star RFA's don't sign for less. By performance peers I mean players that had comparable bodies of work coming off of ELC's.
Right because, typically, "star" RFAs do not sign bridge deals. Unfortunately, the cap space available for Point would have to be a bridge deal unless he's willing to give a ridiculous discount on a long-term deal. For no other reason than $8.4 Million is all we have available to him right now and that's way too much for a bridge deal and may not be quite enough for a 5-6 year deal for him. We just don't know what the ask is...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Good for Tampa but Point is kind of dumb if he takes a bridge. Doubt he repeats last season where he was a product of Kucherov for a lot of it. Not to say he is a scrub, but he isn't some 90 point 40 goal guy on his own line. He'd be better off to hold firm and get locked in for as much as he can.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I imagine it has to do with how inflexible the NHL cap is compared to those other leagues.

Question for Tampa Fans - how is Johnson doing these days? I remember that deal was a huge steal when he signed it, but he gets lost in the mix in Tampa, with all the young talent on that team. Are you happy with him at 5mm over the next 5 years? I see he has a NTC - if he didn't would he be a guy you are interested in moving?

He’s played through a number of injuries and hasn’t been the player he looked like he could be early in his career, but he’s still one of our very best goal scorers at even strength. Last season even with the crazy numbers that Kucherov, Stamkos, and Point put up it was Johnson who led the team in even strength goals. That plus his ability to play any forward position makes him a valuable member of the team.

In terms of moving him I’d sooner trade Killorn, Palat, or Gourde. We have plenty of solid two-way forwards in our system but we don’t have somebody who can replace what TJ brings to the table. That said I could see him potentially being exposed in the expansion draft in a couple years. IMO there’s a good chance that either Johnson or McDonagh will be used as expansion bait, primarily to free cap space for some of our younger players but also to get out of a contract that could potentially turn bad in its later years. A lot will depend on how those two are playing at that point, who we lose to the cap next summer, and how our prospects are shaping up.

In short I wouldn’t move him just yet, but in a couple years things might well be different.

Reactions: NatoGhost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad