Confirmed with Link: Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd + 2 4ths for Bjugstad and McCann

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The coaching staff has no problem using them in defensive situations. Your zone argument is really overblown every time you bring it up tbh.

They're also our best ES producers, which is why they're going to continue getting a high volume of OZ starts, not unlike Bergeron and Marchand. Back in 2016 (I assume that was when Bones was used in a more offensive role), you could justify giving Sid heavy DZ starts because HBK was humming and Sid had to make due with far less on his wings. Also a reason why he didn't score nearly as much those playoffs.

Deployment matters. It's not the only factor, but it's most definitely a factor.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They're also our best ES producers, which is why they're going to continue getting a high volume of OZ starts, not unlike Bergeron and Marchand. Back in 2016 (I assume that was when Bones was used in a more offensive role), you could justify giving Sid heavy DZ starts because HBK was humming and Sid had to make due with far less on his wings.

Deployment matters. It's not the only factor, but it's most definitely a factor.

You do realize Sid and Jake together can play a ton of o zone starts and then Sid can play with other players if necessary.

Kind of like how Jake and Sid’s o-zone starts at Es are 57% yet Sid’s are 44% since December 1st.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I don't like giving up so many picks. We definitely overpaid here.

You have to be kidding me? We give up a late 2nd (less than 50% chance of being NHL player), and two 4th round picks (20% chance to be NHL player, and two rentals that did not play well for us. That is too much for a 26 year old coming off 49 point season with 3 playoff years of control and a 22 year old past 1st round pick that has been a mid 30’s point per 82 games played past two seasons.

I really love this deal and I much rather have two young players with years of control then trading for a rental like Ferland for a 1st and prospect and having nothing to show for those assets after the season. This could be a very underrated trade that we look back on in June saying what a steal this was. Bjugstad looked pretty good with Kessel and Rust last night. I say keep him at Center because he is good at faceoffs and was just blocked at Center in Florida for much of that time.

This is what I hope Pens do with lineup.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Bjugstad-Kessel
Cullen-McCann-Aston-Reese

I think that forward group could be better than any Of the Crosby era Cup teams. Actually I know it is.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Younger

Hungrier

Less resting female dog face

I'm pretty sure Brassard's heart shrunk three sizes the day he was traded here.

There was no lack of heart about how he played through that groin problem last play-offs. People keep talking about effort and desire... I think he lost a lot of confidence by the end, and I think he did stop wanting to be here, but I don't think hunger and heart is why he failed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You do realize Sid and Jake together can play a ton of o zone starts and then Sid can play with other players if necessary.

Kind of like how Jake and Sid’s o-zone starts at Es are 57% yet Sid’s are 44% since December 1st.

None of this refutes what I wrote.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What you wrote is taking one stat and trying to act like it determines a player’s defensive strengths.

I'm not saying it determines their strengths, I'm saying that different usage can partially determine effectiveness, and it's unclear how Bjugstad will fare because he hasn't ever been used like Brass was.

Zone deployment, linemates, TOI...all of these things have an effect. If he gets Rust and Kessel regularly, that could go a long way towards helping him. We'll see.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well, it will be interesting to see what will happen with Bjugstad in a normal pro hockey situation. He's never been in that type of environment in his whole pro career. The closest he came was when Gallant was here, but Bjugstad was injured most of Gallant's tenure.
He has a lot of tools, he was a raw project when he was drafted. Maybe those tools will come together in a normal hockey team. I'm not saying he's going to turn into some elite player, but he could be very productive.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That and Brassard literally averaged 1 more D zone face off per game this season than last year on Ottawa.

If that’s the biggest reason he failed then good riddance (which wasn’t the reason).

He's had 36.78% offensive face offs as a C this season. The defensive duties haven't multiplied massively but the fall in attacking opportunity has been stark. That sort of thing will affect any player.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm not a big fan of JR's approach to replacing the depth we lost, but what's done is done. He's brought us to this point and maybe there wasn't a proven, cap-friendly 3C available without a massive overpayment, and we don't have a great pool of assets to trade anyhow.

How could you not be a big fan of JR’s approach? He took a team that was old and slow around the core and many experts said Pens time of contending was over. In one years time he turned that old slow team into a young team that was the fastest team in the league and proceeded to win 2 Cups. Last year we lost to the eventual Cup winner in game 6 in OT with our goalie playing below his best.

This year Rutherford again infuses youth into the lineup by trading 3 pending UFA’s and an RFA that wasn’t ready for top 9 in our lineup for two 26 year old players with term coming off 40+ point seasons last year and two 22 year olds that are established and ready to help Pens now. Pettersson has really helped the Pens defense and McCann has averaged mid 30’s per 82 games and still has upside.

Pens have every player under control next season besides Cullen and Rhuwedel. We don’t need to do anything at this point in my opinion. I would gladly go into the playoffs with this group. If Rutherford finds a player he likes with term and wants to use our 1st I will be okay with it but I think we have everything we need now.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know there is Pens’ hatred on the main site but it seems as though we lost the trade according to the consensus.

It seems that most people viewed Bjug as a cap dump.

Only time will tell. It does suck to lose the second round pick when our prospect pool is embarrassingly bad.

I drank an extra vodka in celebration of no more Sheahan. I was afraid old man would trade Brassard and go with Sheahan as the 3C.

I’ll trade a 2nd every year if we are adding that to UFAs to get 22 year old NHL
Centers.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's had 36.78% offensive face offs as a C this season. The defensive duties haven't multiplied massively but the fall in attacking opportunity has been stark. That sort of thing will affect any player.

Only 1 or 2 face offs a game this season difference in the o zone compared to Ottawa last season. If that minimal amount changes a player from being great to being **** then it’s more the player than the usage.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not saying it determines their strengths, I'm saying that different usage can partially determine effectiveness, and it's unclear how Bjugstad will fare because he hasn't ever been used like Brass was.

Zone deployment, linemates, TOI...all of these things have an effect. If he gets Rust and Kessel regularly, that could go a long way towards helping him. We'll see.

It isn’t really a concern of mine.

He’s also no longer a marquee player on this team. He’s our eighth best player now. Versus being a major component for Florida.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Only 1 or 2 face offs a game this season difference in the o zone compared to Ottawa last season. If that minimal amount changes a player from being great to being **** then it’s more the player than the usage.

This isn't true of him as a C.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Thank you. Honestly after Brass completely crapped the bed here if Biggie Smalls shows anything at all here most will be thrilled. The bar really is that low.

He looked good tonight. But that was just one game. If he was all that and a bag of chips night in and night out he wouldn't have been traded for so little of a return.

Most reasonable people do not go nuts over one game like some did on the main board.

I am not going nuts about one game but I from past years know Bjugstad has enough skill to be a productive player for us. Last night was a nice start and sometimes all it takes for a player is a new start with a another team that has a system and linemates to bring out the best in your game. Bjugstad had a 49 point season last year and also I am pretty sure he played Center in what I think was his best season with 24 goals and 43 points in 72 games. He was the Panthers leading goal scorer that year and was only 22 at the time. I actually think he would be a better Center for us playing that 3C spot with Kessel.

I really would love for the Pens to give Bjugstad the 3C spot with Rust and Kessel and see how that works for a month. I think he can be what we all thought Brassard was going to be for us. McCann I would use as our 4C with Cullen and Aston-Reese as his wings.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I liked the trade initially, I like it even more now after letting it sink in. They'll be ups and downs obviously but I truly believe we're a better team now.

I'll put it this way, I had some trepidation after the Brassard deal at last years TDL, even though I wanted Brassard. Just thought we gave up a bit too much. Don't feel that way this time around. Maybe parting with one less pick, but nothing I'm cringing about. I also think these guys will be happy to be here. Factoring everything in I'd give it a B to B+

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This isn't true of him as a C.

It’s true for his zone starts which is what we were talking about in regards to production. He played maybe 15% of his time at wing so it’s doesn’t change much. He was also playing wing sometimes because he was playing bad.

Why are we talking about Brassard still anyway :laugh: He was bad this season and that’s really on him. I’m very happy with how it’s worked though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I liked the trade initially, I like it even more now after letting it sink in. They'll be ups and downs obviously but I truly believe we're a better team now.

I'll put it this way, I had some trepidation after the Brassard deal at last years TDL, even though I wanted Brassard. Just thought we gave up a bit too much. Don't feel that way this time around. Maybe parting with one less pick, but nothing I'm cringing about. I also think these guys will be happy to be here.

I think the age and also history of dual usage just makes them much better fits than both Sheahan and Brass.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s true for his zone starts which is what we were talking about in regards to production. He played maybe 15% of his time at wing so it’s doesn’t change much. He was also playing wing sometimes because he was playing bad.

Why are we talking about Brassard still anyway :laugh: He was bad this season and that’s really on him. I’m very happy with how it’s worked though.

Because right is right and I've spent enough time pointing at the drastic swing in his stats as a winger and as a centre that its a compulsion to do so. The 15% of the time he spent at wing really does distort his stats quite a lot.

I don't think he was playing W just because he was bad either. They wanted to find him a bigger role, so they gave it a go. I mean, they'd been talking about doing it before the season even started.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I'll put it this way, I had some trepidation after the Brassard deal at last years TDL, even though I wanted Brassard. Just thought we gave up a bit too much. Don't feel that way this time around. Maybe parting with one less pick, but nothing I'm cringing about. I also think these guys will be happy to be here.

Kept 1st round pick and all prospects and added a 22 year old former 1st round pick that already has averaged mid 30’s per 82 games played and was their 7th leading scoring forward last season and tied for 6th this season. What is a former 1st round pick worth that has been his teams best scoring 3rd line player the past 2 seasons playing 3C?

What is the worth of a 26 year old former 1st round pick that has 49 points last season good for 5th highest scoring forward on his team and was his teams leading goal scorer at 22 when he played Center. I think we got a steal of a deal having two young players with years of control for rentals and low 2nd round pick (less than 50% make NHL), and 2 4th round picks (20% chance of NHL). How could anyone not like this deal. If Bjugstad produces to his abilities he will be worth more than a 1st round pick and I would argue McCann at 22 and already shown to be a productive 3C is still worth his 1st round draft position.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Brassard's issues went beyond zone starts. He thought he was too good to play a depth role.

Bjugstad doesn't strike me as having that type of mindset. And looks to be a guy who can play a complementary role with Kessel.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Always happy to have another Minnesota raised player on the Pens. Praying that the Pens have their eye on Minnesota talent in the up coming draft. Particularly the Minnetonka kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad