Confirmed with Link: Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd + 2 4ths for Bjugstad and McCann

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Looks like a forward thinking trade as to getting two centers and youth to boot. Now the issue is to continue the limited retooling to getting younger and faster. We will see how it all shakes out when the team as sully says are all available.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Even more fun is when you realize that Bjugstad is the oldest player the Pens got, and he's 26, while Sheahan was the youngest player they gave up, and he's 27.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens lost the Scuderi for Daley trade, because Daley was done, since he didn't work out in Chicago.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens were a laughing stock for acquiring Schultz, because he was "the worst player in the NHL."

Let's just say there's a reason I don't bother reading the threads on the main trade board anymore.

Pens lose every trade that isn’t an obvious slam dunk (Phil trade) apparently, because other fans have fantasized about Pittsburgh being in cap hell for over a decade now.

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Even more fun is when you realize that Bjugstad is the oldest player the Pens got, and he's 26, while Sheahan was the youngest player they gave up, and he's 27.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens lost the Scuderi for Daley trade, because Daley was done, since he didn't work out in Chicago.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens were a laughing stock for acquiring Schultz, because he was "the worst player in the NHL."

Let's just say there's a reason I don't bother reading the threads on the main trade board anymore.
Did people really say the Pens lost the trade where they unload Scuderi? I find that hard to believe.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Pens lose every trade that isn’t an obvious slam dunk (Phil trade) apparently, because other fans have fantasized about Pittsburgh being in cap hell for over a decade now.
Not really related but maybe it is, I think a lot of people are anti-Pens, I remember Pierre, after the Hossa trade (08’) saying that the Pens gave up a lot and were sacrificing their future with that move.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Did people really say the Pens lost the trade where they unload Scuderi? I find that hard to believe.

Bear in mind that this wasn't that long after he'd been a top 4 defenseman on a Stanley Cup winning team in LA, after having won previously as a "shutdown defenseman" in 2009 with the Pens. Here in Pittsburgh, we all knew Scuderi was done. But plenty of people hadn't watched him play - they just knew that he'd played well with LA not that long ago, and that Daley was being raked over the coals by the fans in Chicago. Combine with the main boards' tendencies to hate the Pens, and, at the time, think that Chicago could do (almost) no wrong, and well, yes, you had lots of people claiming that the Pens lost that trade.

It's funny, I tried to find the main board thread on the trade, but the Trade forum cuts off in June of 2016! The main board thread doesn't exist anymore.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Not just on the mainboards, here too.

To be fair, there were several posters who had swore on their mothers' graves that Scuderi could or never would never traded, and so the trade was like a hot shot of cognitive dissonance right into their brains. Plus the conventional wisdom was that Daley was washed up, soft, liked Maroon 5.

In other words, it broke the board.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Brass trade didn't work out and looks like crap in hindsight. That said, JR did a hell of a job, IMO, turning that bad trade into something good.

Pens have gotten a lot younger at forward this year in moving Hags and Brass and added positional flexibility.
They did get younger, which is great, but they also got slower.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Did you want to keep Hags?

I did...I didn’t want to re-sign him this summer but I still didn’t see the purpose of that trade with the Kings... not saying Pearson is a bad player, he’s solid, but he’s not better than Hags at the things we need on this team (and for Geno)...Hags is a better fit here and because of subsequent trades, we’re now looking for ways to unload his contract next year...still don’t get that trade...it was a move just to make a move...

Reactions: Justin Sickways

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I did...I didn’t want to re-sign him this summer but I still didn’t see the purpose of that trade with the Kings... not saying Pearson is a bad player, he’s solid, but he’s not better than Hags at the things we need on this team (and for Geno)...Hags is a better fit here and because of subsequent trades, we’re now looking for ways to unload his contract next year...still don’t get that trade...it was a move just to make a move...

Hagelin looked like he was never going to score again. And outside of HBK in 16 and a run with Malkin, he pretty much never did here. Pearson can score.

The trade was that simple.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hagelin looked like he was never going to score again. And outside of HBK in 16 and a run with Malkin, he pretty much never did here. Pearson can score.

The trade was that simple.

I guess...but while Pearson is the better offensive player, we don’t reslly need that...we need workers who can forecheck hard, get TOs and get the puck over to our stars...I think the more offensive skill hasn’t really been seen all that much...in other words, he’s not that much better offensively that it made sense to lose all that Hags brings...I wonder if JR today would want a do-over...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
A bath? Was a pretty nice bath then

a-bath-with-a-view.jpg
Why is there a bath needed in that situation? Kind of like the whole why 2c in a 3c slot feels there. Irony.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I guess...but while Pearson is the better offensive player, we don’t reslly need that...we need workers who can forecheck hard, get TOs and get the puck over to our stars...I think the more offensive skill hasn’t really been seen all that much...in other words, he’s not that much better offensively that it made sense to lose all that Hags brings...I wonder if JR today would want a do-over...

I trust Pearson to score in a playoff run a hell of a lot more than ZAR, Simon, Wilson, Blueger, etc. Our LW depth wasn't looking so hot earlier in the year. If ZAR comes back and has a good playoffs, and we need to make cap room in the summer, then by all means, trade the guy making 3 mil more. But for now, lets have as deep of a lineup as possible.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Better to have the asset and be looking to redeem value than to have a UFA; I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying but this bit makes total sense and I like how Rutherford is trying to keep player value alive.

Also, much as I pine for Hags, we've still got 30 games and post-season left for Pearson to make his case for how he fits, and he wouldn't be the first player to put it together after a dry patch.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
The main board is gushing because the Cats got #cap space! Woohoo...if that's how we evaluate trades now I guess I am out of touch. Maybe we should trade 87 and 71 for draft picks and futures.

Bottom line is we got better players (for us at least) that are younger and cost controlled and only marginally increased our liability. If you want to rag on Penguins trades there are definitely some stinkers in there, but this isn't one. Sheahan and Brassard were offering very little (nothing?) to our line up. Two fourths...who cares. The second was a valuable piece I guess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Panarin wants to go to a big city. Unless they have some information they can't make public for tampering reasons, that's a pretty big gamble he'll sign there.

Every team in the league will want to sign him. Hell, I'd look into it if we move Kessel and we don't exactly have scoring issues. He's an offensive dynamo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Panarin wants to go to a big city. Unless they have some information they can't make public for tampering reasons, that's a pretty big gamble he'll sign there.

Every team in the league will want to sign him. Hell, I'd look into it if we move Kessel and we don't exactly have scoring issues. He's an offensive dynamo.

He supposedly wants to go to a big city with active nightlife, a significant Russian presence, and near the water. And Dadonov is one of his best friends in the NHL. I'd say that narrows down the size of the gamble to acceptable.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He supposedly wants to go to a big city with active nightlife, a significant Russian presence, and near the water. And Dadonov is one of his best friends in the NHL. I'd say that narrows down the size of the gamble to acceptable.

That's got FLA written all over it

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad