Confirmed with Link: Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd + 2 4ths for Bjugstad and McCann

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I’ll trade a 2nd every year if we are adding that to UFAs to get 22 year old NHL
Centers.

Absolutely. When Shero was giving out picks like crazy like the Crankshaft deal, it was a terrible idea, because Sid and Geno were going to need help and we'd still be in our window. But even though most consider those two 2nd rounders for Murray to be an overpayment, they were converted into Dillon Heatherington and Noah Rod, who combined have 6 more NHL games than I do.

Heatherington did have his only career point in the NHL against the Pens in a shootout win for Dallas last year though, so I guess Shero screwed us again.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I can't believe the amount of angst over a team in win-now mode giving up a 2nd and two 4th round picks. The only player that the Pens have drafted since 2013 that's on the roster or even in the immediate plans is Dominik Simon - when you are where this team is, draft picks are capital more than they are expected future players.

Besides, there's a 100% chance Jared McCann will be at least a 4th line NHL player. There's about a 75% chance that neither 4th round pick ever makes it at all.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I can't believe the amount of angst over a team in win-now mode giving up a 2nd and two 4th round picks. The only player that the Pens have drafted since 2013 that's on the roster or even in the immediate plans is Dominik Simon - when you are where this team is, draft picks are capital more than they are expected future players.

Besides, there's a 100% chance Jared McCann will be at least a 4th line NHL player. There's about a 75% chance that neither 4th round pick ever makes it at all.

Is this angst on Twitter?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Brassard gets traded and I ended up in hospital during the trade?! Unreal!
We'll I didn't die and I can now fully enjoy the glorious news!

I been reading all your posts about Joogy thats how you say it? Joogstad? I'm super excited to see him and McC.
Now I have to watch a Florida game and watch the likely event Brassard will get a ppg player all the sudden. Then get flipped at the deadline for something again.

Brass will never sign in Florida I think... right? I mean all other options considered and money, FLA would be the last place he'd sign (after Pittsburgh). I say that contention wise.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeeeeeeesh. How hurting is FLA or it's fans?
Few of them saying Sheahan could be the 4c they've needed.
It pains me to think of their soon-to-be-imminent-upset.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Brassard gets traded and I ended up in hospital during the trade?! Unreal!
We'll I didn't die and I can now fully enjoy the glorious news!

I been reading all your posts about Joogy thats how you say it? Joogstad? I'm super excited to see him and McC.
Now I have to watch a Florida game and watch the likely event Brassard will get a ppg player all the sudden. Then get flipped at the deadline for something again.

Brass will never sign in Florida I think... right? I mean all other options considered and money, FLA would be the last place he'd sign (after Pittsburgh). I say that contention wise.

Hope you're better.

Brass isn't signing in Florida. I doubt he wants to and even if he did, the purpose of this trade from Florida's point of view is to clear cap in the name of making a run at signing some of the big free agents this summer.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Hope you're better.

Brass isn't signing in Florida. I doubt he wants to and even if he did, the purpose of this trade from Florida's point of view is to clear cap in the name of making a run at signing some of the big free agents this summer.

Oh. That is logically more sound than my idea. Good call.

EDIT: Oh I am better thank you.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and Peat

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Value wise - JR took a bath on this, however, with Brassard it's an addition by subtraction.

I can't think of any player in recent memory who performed so below expectations during his tenure as a Penguin. Total bum... glad to see him gone.

Can't say I am too excited about Bjugstad... seems like he's a poor mans version of Jordan Staal. 5 goals on the year is pretty pathetic

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Value wise - JR took a bath on this, however, with Brassard it's an addition by subtraction.

I can't think of any player in recent memory who performed so below expectations during his tenure as a Penguin. Total bum... glad to see him gone.

Can't say I am too excited about Bjugstad... seems like he's a poor mans version of Jordan Staal. 5 goals on the year is pretty pathetic

A bath? Was a pretty nice bath then

a-bath-with-a-view.jpg

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
A bath? Was a pretty nice bath then

a-bath-with-a-view.jpg
I disagree... don't forget that the Penguins gave up a 1st rounder to acquire Brassard

Bad trades happen. Sometimes you end up on the losing end of a trade - lets not be afraid to call a spade a spade. I don't think that anyone can logically argue how the Brassard deal was a good one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I disagree... don't forget that the Penguins gave up a 1st rounder to acquire Brassard

Bad trades happen. Sometimes you end up on the losing end of a trade - lets not be afraid to call a spade a spade. I don't think that anyone can logically argue how the Brassard deal was a good one.
what we gave up for Brassard last year isn't really relevant to the move we just made. Obviously that move didn't work out, but this one is a different move.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

To get Brassard is separate though and we got a good prospect in the end from that deal too.

Thought the Brassard trade was fair given the retention but it just didn’t work out.

This trade was good. I know more about McCann and think he’s going to be a strong 3C in the next couple years

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This one? The one where we moved our two most underperforming and ill-fitting forwards with expiring contracts for two guys with equal ceilings and terms who are five years younger? For only a 2nd and 2 4ths? Nah bruv. Logically good to me.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Just realized that McCann becomes the youngest player on our current roster. Second youngest would be MP. Nice injection of youth this season.

Even more fun is when you realize that Bjugstad is the oldest player the Pens got, and he's 26, while Sheahan was the youngest player they gave up, and he's 27.

I know there is Pens’ hatred on the main site but it seems as though we lost the trade according to the consensus.

It seems that most people viewed Bjug as a cap dump.

Only time will tell. It does suck to lose the second round pick when our prospect pool is embarrassingly bad.

I drank an extra vodka in celebration of no more Sheahan. I was afraid old man would trade Brassard and go with Sheahan as the 3C.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens lost the Scuderi for Daley trade, because Daley was done, since he didn't work out in Chicago.

The consensus on the main boards was that the Pens were a laughing stock for acquiring Schultz, because he was "the worst player in the NHL."

Let's just say there's a reason I don't bother reading the threads on the main trade board anymore.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Bjugstad took on Oleksiak.

Also a pretty weak fight lol considering Oleks is only okay at fighting and Bjugs got wrecked lol

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
For now Bjugstad through two games looks better than Brassard ever really did (and yeah I acknowledge the knee jerk here).

So in that sense alone, given where the pens are in their window, I like it. And it’s not a rental.

Reactions: EightyOne

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

Gave up a 1st rounder to get Brassard at 40% cap hit retained not just that season but this year as well. Imagine the sentiments if the Pens were eating his entire near $5m salary.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Brass trade didn't work out and looks like crap in hindsight. That said, JR did a hell of a job, IMO, turning that bad trade into something good.

Pens have gotten a lot younger at forward this year in moving Hags and Brass and added positional flexibility.

Reactions: BillPrep and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Brass trade didn't work out and looks like crap in hindsight. That said, JR did a hell of a job, IMO, turning that bad trade into something good.

Pens have gotten a lot younger at forward this year in moving Hags and Brass and added positional flexibility.

Will be interesting to see what he does when cap commitments force his hand this summer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'll give the Brass trade this - its not every day you can turn futures into a good player with term; once you get that player, trade possibilities are easier to come by.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Will be interesting to see what he does when cap commitments force his hand this summer.

He'll just ship out a negative contract for a positive one
Then repeat the same mistake of giving a big contract to a FA dman months later

I've seen this movie before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad