Confirmed with Link: Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd + 2 4ths for Bjugstad and McCann

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't even realize this at first, but the Penguins have had some insane roster turnover for this year. This was their lineup for game 1 of the season:

Since then, you've had the 2LW, 3C, 4C, 4RW, 13th forward and 3rd pair LD traded. That's a lot of roster turnover for a contender in 1 year. For reference, the Penguins traded 4 roster players last year (Wilson, Archibald, Reaves and Cole, I personally don't count Pouliot in this) and that was an unusually high amount. This year is already beyond that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sprong and NB are very different wingers.

We also traded Sprong to shore up some cap space on the D which is likely what will happen in the next year or so. It also gives you the opportunity to move a RW and still have an actual NHLer that puts up 30-50 points on a bad team on the RW versus.. what did SB call McCann? Magic beans?

Ideally though I'd like Bjugstad at center. If it doesn't work it doesn't. But hopefully he's given every opportunity in that role.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
just looking at what we spent on brass to flip him on this trade....cole, gus, 1st and a 3rd (brass)+Sheahan, 2nd, and 2 4ths …… there's something i'm missing. but still it doesn't look as good as it did...…………………………...why did I ever do this? :(

Because you like suffering. Don't forget the Reaves and 4th for Brassard's retention (although we did get a 3rd with Brass so that cancels out).

What are the odds that Brassard's UBI is magically healed up for the Panthers game tonight?

Given that he was practicing the day after he missed that game, pretty high.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't even realize this at first, but the Penguins have had some insane roster turnover for this year. This was their lineup for game 1 of the season:

Since then, you've had the 2LW, 3C, 4C, 4RW, 13th forward and 3rd pair LD traded. That's a lot of roster turnover for a contender in 1 year. For reference, the Penguins traded 4 roster players last year (Wilson, Archibald, Reaves and Cole, I personally don't count Pouliot in this) and that was an unusually high amount. This year is already beyond that.

More impressive is JR doing little moves. Not block busters. Slight tinkering to make us younger and more tight defensively. Also straighten out some of the cap issues we had coming up.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Because you like suffering. Don't forget the Reaves and 4th for Brassard's retention (although we did get a 3rd with Brass so that cancels out).

thats it! I knew I knew I was missing something. thanks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yea if Bleuger sticks, Pettersson, Pearson, Bjugstad and McCann and him is pretty large turnover. Funny enough with Bjugstad here I might rather have Hagelin back but whatever.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We also used that 3rd round pick to move up and get Hallander

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah and no. It's a bit of a waste if he's only a winger - although if he really fits with one of Sid and Geno, I wouldn't care - but at the same time, as long as someone makes it, a bit of waste isn't all that important imo.
The good news is we do fortunately have more options. And the players we now have in the fold likely couldn't have a worse attitude than Brass did. Hopefully these guys embrace their situation here. I suspect they will.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They don’t need to have heavy D zone starts. Bonino was about 56% in his time here (Brassard 58% this season).

Bjugstad was 52% and McCann was 50% the last two years. So 1 more defensive zone face off a game is not going to be a big deal.

An extra faceoff in the D zone isn’t why Brassard failed. If it was that easy we could have changed it because 1 extra D zone faceoff isn’t a big deal. He failed because of who he is and we got two different guys.

That's heavier than Bjugstad has ever seen. I realize you don't think it's a big difference, or that zone starts are a significant issue, but we clearly disagree there.

It was a variable that was far different here than any other place Brass had ever played. We'll see whether it's a factor with Bjugstad.

No, we don’t.

We won a cup with Bonino at 49% o-zone starts.

We won a cup with Bonino at 20% o-zone starts.

Sid is being used on the PK and other situational needs and it is working great.

There’s no template of what we need. If NB comes in and gets chemistry with a Rust - Kessel line. We’re good. If Cullen can make a Pearson - Hornqvist line work as a third line and NB can find chemistry with Sid or Geno we are good.

If McCann works with Pearson and NB as a third line we are good. There are multiple avenues.

Yes, when Sid was used in a heavy defensive role at ES that he hasn't been used in since we got Guentzel and won't be as long as they're together. Nor should he.

There's no situation where I want Cullen as our 3C. And I love the guy.

These are not reasonable scenarios.

If the deal is to work this year, barring another trade, one of the acquisitions is going to have to thrive in a 3C role with the sort of deployment Brassard saw. I hope one does.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I also think Bjugstad will defer to Phil. And that could bode well for having three scoring lines. Again it's very early in the process, but the possibilities are exciting.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's heavier than Bjugstad has ever seen. I realize you don't think it's a big difference, or that zone starts are a significant issue, but we clearly disagree there.

It was a variable that was far different here than any other place Brass had ever played. We'll see whether it's a factor with Bjugstad.

Yes, when Sid was used in a heavy defensive role at ES that he hasn't been used in since we got Guentzel and won't be as long as they're together.

There's no situation where I want Cullen as our 3C. And I love the guy.

These are not reasonable scenarios.

If the deal is to work this year, barring another trade, one of the acquisitions is going to have to thrive in a 3C role with the sort of deployment Brassard saw. I hope one does.

Sid and Jake play on the most defensive situation our PK.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There’s pretty much no way I’m keeping all 3 of Rust, Kessel and Bjugstad away from Geno :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
More impressive is JR doing little moves. Not block busters. Slight tinkering to make us younger and more tight defensively. Also straighten out some of the cap issues we had coming up.

I think it depends on your definition of "little moves". He's making smart reclamation project moves with focusing on getting younger, faster, bigger and better defensively, so he's doing an excellent job with those trades. But on the other hand, bringing in guys like Bjugstad and Pearson are big moves, especially considering who the Penguins traded. I don't think adding those guys is much below adding Brassard last year, especially with Bjugstad.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you know what's funny about citing zone starts and stuff like that? The golden boy for the Penguins 3C in Jordan Staal has only had 1 season in his last 10 where he has had below a 45% offensive zone start%.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Do you know what's funny about citing zone starts and stuff like that? The golden boy for the Penguins 3C in Jordan Staal has only had 1 season in his last 10 where he has had below a 45% offensive zone start%.

That and Brassard literally averaged 1 more D zone face off per game this season than last year on Ottawa.

If that’s the biggest reason he failed then good riddance (which wasn’t the reason).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad