Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
The break out passes have been pretty terrible. 67s are forechecking much better tonight than they did in game one and certainly better than the reg season match ups.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
The PP was a momentum killer especially considering another short handed goal given up. Also did Tsherna play at all? From the broadcast it appeared to me he did not, but maybe someone there could confirm.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
The PP was a momentum killer especially considering another short handed goal given up. Also did Tsherna play at all? From the broadcast it appeared to me he did not, but maybe someone there could confirm.
He had a few shifts (maybe one in the first and one in the second but not sure I saw him in the third)

The PP for game one was a strength but game 2 seemed to look like it did in the reg season. I'd like to see Vanacker get some PP1 time, he's one of the more dangerous options on the team.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Crunch time. Must win tomorrow.
Expected a let down in second game, after hype of first.
They have it in them, just have to execute.
Time to shine Bulldogs.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Another heavy puck pursuit in the O-Zone leads to the turnover and goal….. THAT is their game.
Quote off Ottawa's board tells it all.
Their forwards are very fast, and our D can't match them. Slow and indecisive. If.we can take a puck out of our zone, without turning it over we're winning it.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Turnovers and sloppy plays are killing the Dogs. Lardis has cooled down since that first game which was expected. But that turnover from him was just a killer. Off topic but I liked that Ottawa broadcast. I don't know if it was because I listen to the game with my headphones on, but I was picking up alot of chatter between the the two benches

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
I mean I truly don't know what to say about these stupid, naive penalties taken by Testa and Roberts. It costed us a goal, just hope it doesn't cost us a game.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I mean I truly don't know what to say about these stupid, naive penalties taken by Testa and Roberts. It costed us a goal, just hope it doesn't cost us a game.
Roberts has now been benched.

Pretty much playing with 4 D now.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Really unacceptable loss. Gave the game away and possibly the series. If they didn't learn anything from the Protz disaster vs the Fronts, I'm not sure when they will figure it out.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Noticed change in defensive strategy in third and fourth. As soon as they had a puck on stick they were shooting it off the glass and out of zone. IMO if they played that way since first game, Ottawa would've had half of the goals they've got. So many goals came of turnovers of our sticks in our zone.
On the other hand Ottawa was so lucky today with bounces, at least three GA came off tips and deflections. Even overtime goal was scored as a deflection of pants.
Series is never lost, until is lost. Heads up. More disciplined play, no penalties, adjustment in back end to clear puck off glass, and I believe this series is still winnable.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Noticed change in defensive strategy in third and fourth. As soon as they had a puck on stick they were shooting it off the glass and out of zone. IMO if they played that way since first game, Ottawa would've had half of the goals they've got. So many goals came of turnovers of our sticks in our zone.
On the other hand Ottawa was so lucky today with bounces, at least three GA came off tips and deflections. Even overtime goal was scored as a deflection of pants.
Series is never lost, until is lost. Heads up. More disciplined play, no penalties, adjustment in back end to clear puck off glass, and I believe this series is still winnable.
I really liked the dogs forecheck tonight. Really made it hard on the 67s.

I don't think this series is over either. They'll be in tough but this is a resilient group of guys. Have to stay out of the box though, at least don't take penalties when you don't have to. I gets it an emotional game but you play right into their hand when you retaliate

Reactions: Rattler

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
3 penalties a mile from your own zone
Cmon boys
I thought the O'brien penalty was week. Form what I remember of the sequence, he was protecting the puck along the boards getting slashed and possibly even cross checked himself. No penalty call on Ottawa which is fine, its playoff hockey after all. Did he cross check the Ottawa player, yes he did but it was not overly aggressive, was not near the face or head area and you see that same play multiple times a game without being called. To see that get called in a game where for the most part you were letting the players play and given the score of the game and being in the third period, to me its a weak call. Again just going of memory so maybe it was worse than what I remember

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I thought the O'brien penalty was week. Form what I remember of the sequence, he was protecting the puck along the boards getting slashed and possibly even cross checked himself. No penalty call on Ottawa which is fine, its playoff hockey after all. Did he cross check the Ottawa player, yes he did but it was not overly aggressive, was not near the face or head area and you see that same play multiple times a game without being called. To see that get called in a game where for the most part you were letting the players play and given the score of the game and being in the third period, to me its a weak call. Again just going of memory so maybe it was worse than what I remember

You could say that about most penalties. The officials are “managing” the game. It is hard to make sense of individual calls independent of the actions leading up to it collectively when they are managing games. You could say the same thing about the Mayer penalty with 5 minutes left in the game. A weak call but more than likely a make up call or evening out call for the O’Brien call at the beginning of the period.

So, when discussing officiating, it is unfair to look at one call by itself. You need to judge it on the totality of the officiating over the course of the entire game. Both teams were physical. Both were chippy. The powerplays were 3 each which was a solid representation of the overall play of that game. I think that is acceptable.

I’d rather the officials manage a game that results in a lower total number of penalties rather than a constant parade to the penalty box…provided things don’t start to get out of control.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
You could say that about most penalties. The officials are “managing” the game. It is hard to make sense of individual calls independent of the actions leading up to it collectively when they are managing games. You could say the same thing about the Mayer penalty with 5 minutes left in the game. A weak call but more than likely a make up call or evening out call for the O’Brien call at the beginning of the period.

So, when discussing officiating, it is unfair to look at one call by itself. You need to judge it on the totality of the officiating over the course of the entire game. Both teams were physical. Both were chippy. The powerplays were 3 each which was a solid representation of the overall play of that game. I think that is acceptable.

I’d rather the officials manage a game that results in a lower total number of penalties rather than a constant parade to the penalty box…provided things don’t start to get out of control.
I totally agree about your point that you look at the calls in the context of the whole game which is why I thought the O'brien call was weak. It was not overly aggressive , it did not impact a scoring chance. I hate games where it seems like half the game is played on special teams. I honestly cannot remember the Mayer penalty to comment on it. The O'brien one just really stood out to me as being weak considering they seemed to let the players play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I totally agree about your point that you look at the calls in the context of the whole game which is why I thought the O'brien call was weak. It was not overly aggressive , it did not impact a scoring chance. I hate games where it seems like half the game is played on special teams. I honestly cannot remember the Mayer penalty to comment on it. The O'brien one just really stood out to me as being weak considering they seemed to let the players play.

I only pointed out the Mayer hooking penalty on the neutral zone with five minutes remaining in a game with a ton of that sort of infraction uncalled the entire game as a ‘management’ call. Sort of evening things up. That call resulted in a PP goal to get back within one and then the tying goal late.

Was it a necessary call based on the infraction? No. But it was necessary because of the O’Brien call early resulting in a goal.

When managing a close game, you have to even it out somehow. Sometimes the infractions add up a bit as well. Sort of like, “I let ten of those go so if I don’t call one now, things will continue unchecked.”

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
It would make a lot more sense if the referees just established a standard and stuck to it. They shouldn't have "manage" the game. Its not about making sure things are even, and both teams get the same number of PP opportunities. Its about making sure when a player commits an infraction which crosses the line, what ever it is for that game, that it gets called.

If they miss a call, they miss a call, too many times its like a coach complains and the referee defaults to accepting he missed something and tries to make up for it. Best referees I've seen over the years were upfront in admitting they didn't see it, and weren't going to call something they didn't see.

The two referee system has complicated things also, as the two may not have the same standard and one only makes a call to offset what they interpreted to be a weak call by the other official.

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad