OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
We had the better forwards. Again that doesn't equate to better roster, defensemen and goalies count too.

The Devils defense last year + Carolina defense last year weren't as big of a difference as the forwards. Sure, you can point to the goalies but Carolina's system (COACHING, what a surprise) was always going to be a problem for how NJ played. We could've had prime Marty in net and lost that series.

I seriously hope the team internally is not thinking the same way people on this boards are...that would be concerning.

You say this like they didn't completely overreact to that series and literally imploded 23-24 because of it

Reactions: Call Me Al

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Last season? It 100% was. Not sure how you can even argue that. I mean, it wasn't 100% coaching but it sure as hell was a large part. A better coach wins that series for sure.
Carolina got nothing from Aho + was missing Svech and we lost to guys like Kotkaniemi + Martinook have legacy series while Timo/Jack and our top guys were way better than theirs. The Devils 100% had the better roster going into that series.

From a pure talent perspective last season we were probably more even than we stand today, sure. But Carolina also had a significant advantage in experience with the playoff game and got the better goaltending.

Could the series have been more competitive with better coaching? Of course, but I'm not as confident as you guys to say we should have won that series.

This is a bigger discussion and risks agreeing too much with some voices on this board I generally don't agree with, but you can't necessarily just swap coaches and think the rosters would play that differently. They were just a bad matchup for us and are an example of areas we need the roster to get better at.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
From a pure talent perspective last season we were probably more even than we stand today, sure. But Carolina also had a significant advantage in experience with the playoff game and got the better goaltending.

Could the series have been more competitive with better coaching? Of course, but I'm not as confident as you guys to say we should have won that series.

Everything you just said could've been equalized with a better coach, that was the whole issue with Lindy. He never adjusted mid game until he was too late, the Devils goalies did shit themselves that series. I'm not denying that but trying to fly the zone v Carolina's aggressive forecheck could've easily been mitigated via coaching.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Everything you just said could've been equalized with a better coach, that was the whole issue with Lindy. He never adjusted mid game until he was too late, the Devils goalies did shit themselves that series. I'm not denying that but trying to fly the zone v Carolina's aggressive forecheck could've easily been mitigated via coaching.
I don't disagree, but my point is whether the Devils' roster last year was capable of playing the game differently. Being adaptable is a skill alongside all the others and that is where I think Carolina has a more skilled roster. They're more capable than our roster was of playing different games depending on the opponent.

If Lindy had asked them to play a build-up scheme like PDB rode to the 2012 finals, I'm not convinced they could have done it any more effectively than playing to their identity. That's where, again at risk of sounding too much like an argument I don't agree with, I think we need more of a mix of skillsets than we have now.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't disagree, but my point is whether the Devils' roster last year was capable of playing the game differently. Being adaptable is a skill alongside all the others and that is where I think Carolina has a more skilled roster. They're more capable than our roster was of playing different games depending on the opponent.

If Lindy had asked them to play a build-up scheme like PDB rode to the 2012 finals, I'm not convinced they could have done it any more effectively than playing to their identity. That's where, again at risk of sounding too much like an argument I don't agree with, I think we need more of a mix of skillsets than we have now.

Then that's an even bigger issue if you don't think your players can't be molded into any game plan, the 2012 Devils didn't play the Flyers/Rangers series the exact same way. I think they got too full of themselves a bit after beating NYR and the godly performance of Shesterkin that series to think that Carolina would be a harder opposition and then just decided to freestyle out there half the time versus a team that's the most structured in the entire league and doesn't shy away from its gameplan regardless of the score/situation.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils defense last year + Carolina defense last year weren't as big of a difference as the forwards. Sure, you can point to the goalies but Carolina's system (COACHING, what a surprise) was always going to be a problem for how NJ played. We could've had prime Marty in net and lost that series.

You say this like they didn't completely overreact to that series and literally imploded 23-24 because of it
They did not change the roster because of the Carolina series, they changed the roster because of cap considerations after signing Timo and Bratt plus having a number of free agents who were going to get ridiculously long deals we had no business matching, and a couple of high draft picks almost ready to slot in.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They did not change the roster because of the Carolina series, they changed the roster because of cap considerations after signing Timo and Bratt plus having a number of free agents who were going to get ridiculously long deals we had no business matching, and a couple of high draft picks almost ready to slot in.

Them getting slower has nothing to do with Timo Meier, they got slower because of the fact they got tossed around the ice that series and management thought they needed to get tougher after that series. Tyler Toffoli in another Carolina series logically makes sense, they just assumed they were locked in the playoffs from day 1 which they were sadly mistaken

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tyler Toffoli wasn't going to address the 'toughness' issue, they got him because he was a more proven top six option for a middle-round pick and a guy who'd been booted up to the scratch box, that's the kind of move win-now teams frequently do - especially ones with voids in their top six. How many of their offseason moves really addressed toughness...Nosek for Boqvist? That's not fundamentally changing the team.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

PPs were 7-5 for the rangers and two of theirs were abbreviated. Carolina had 3 PPs in OT. Rangers are the most penalized team in the playoffs.
I don’t like the special teams play getting emphasized either way. If there’s an arguable infraction that doesn’t influence the play very much either way, I would rather the refs let it go so as to let the teams hit and play aggressive playoff hockey. Get the refs out of the game as much as possible.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The only reason the Devils lost to Carolina last season in the playoffs is because they didn't jab the Canes in the groin and ribs with their sticks. A few elbows and knees in the back of the Canes would have helped too. NJ needed to make room for themselves and didn't do that enough. The one game they got time and space to skate they scored 8 goals. The team has to learn to create time and space. Last time I checked, firearms are against the rules as are sharpening the sticks to use them as cutting blades, but as the above video of Captain Chickenwing shows, why not cheap shot a guy with a flying elbow? Do it to enough guys on the other team and you may lose by forfeit since they wont' be able to ice enough guys to finish the game.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Last time I checked, firearms are against the rules as are sharpening the sticks to use them as cutting blades, but as the above video of Captain Chickenwing shows, why not cheap shot a guy with a flying elbow?
I mean, those are all against the rules so would you be opposed to the firearms and sharpeners blades? Just the 1 psycho still, I’m not talking the whole team.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Tyler Toffoli wasn't going to address the 'toughness' issue, they got him because he was a more proven top six option for a middle-round pick and a guy who'd been booted up to the scratch box, that's the kind of move win-now teams frequently do - especially ones with voids in their top six. How many of their offseason moves really addressed toughness...Nosek for Boqvist? That's not fundamentally changing the team.

Eh, idk man, a lot of what they did last year in the summer seemed like a bit of an overreaction to that series. We knew we got slower with Toffoli but how much he would help in the playoffs once we got there. The lack of speed was also evident from our breakouts too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
stoked for a pretenders' loss tonight
I’m convinced they’re throwing their contending years away on Paul Maurice.

I’m glad he’s no threat to be fired right now. I could see us being interested in the ole’ four eyed combover.

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad