Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The only potential issue with Sobolev is he is a bulldog “literally” at this level with less mature bodies. At the Pro level, his size wouldn’t stand out quite as much.

I’d be curious to see how his career tracks though.

I thought the same thing about Arber Xhekaj. He got by on strength and intimidation and I wondered if it would translate.

He is a lot bigger than Sobolev though.

If I was an NHL team I would give him and look and find out.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I thought the same thing about Arber Xhekaj. He got by on strength and intimidation and I wondered if it would translate.

He is a lot bigger than Sobolev though.

If I was an NHL team I would give him and look and find out.
It is basically $500k to find out after signing bonus and three years guaranteed in the AHL. I think he’s more likely a return to Russia in the KHL but maybe there is a team that feels he is likely to translate at the next level. I’m not sure he has shown more in Brantford than he did in Niagara. MTL chose not to sign him and no one else extended an offer.

I hope he does get a chance on an NHL deal. I just think if he doesn’t get that, he goes home for more money than a Minor league deal in the AHL/ECHL.

Reactions: Rounder8

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
It is basically $500k to find out after signing bonus and three years guaranteed in the AHL. I think he’s more likely a return to Russia in the KHL but maybe there is a team that feels he is likely to translate at the next level. I’m not sure he has shown more in Brantford than he did in Niagara. MTL chose not to sign him and no one else extended an offer.

I hope he does get a chance on an NHL deal. I just think if he doesn’t get that, he goes home for more money than a Minor league deal in the AHL/ECHL.
the pro level hockey IQ isn't there

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The only potential issue with Sobolev is he is a bulldog “literally” at this level with less mature bodies. At the Pro level, his size wouldn’t stand out quite as much.

I’d be curious to see how his career tracks though.
His size wouldn’t stand out as much, but he wouldn’t be small either. If anything, he would be above average in the league. Meanwhile everyone will still add muscle.

I could see a team giving him a tryout contract and then him signing a 1-2 year AHL deal. He could be sent to the ECHL and called up. Then again, if he can make more money in Europe, he might chase that instead.

The qualities I see in Sobolev that I see him making pro are his shot blocking (he’s a warrior), checking, and he skates well with the puck and protects it well. He can also log minutes on the ice. He probably won’t turn into a #1 D, but I see an opportunity to have a steady pro career.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
His size wouldn’t stand out as much, but he wouldn’t be small either. If anything, he would be above average in the league. Meanwhile everyone will still add muscle.

I could see a team giving him a tryout contract and then him signing a 1-2 year AHL deal. He could be sent to the ECHL and called up. Then again, if he can make more money in Europe, he might chase that instead.

The qualities I see in Sobolev that I see him making pro are his shot blocking (he’s a warrior), checking, and he skates well with the puck and protects it well. He can also log minutes on the ice. He probably won’t turn into a #1 D, but I see an opportunity to have a steady pro career.

Agreed. The only issue is he would undoubtedly make more money in Wurope than the AHL or ECHL, especially if it is a two way contract AHL-ECHL where the ECHL value is super crappy.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
FYI, Sobolev is a Montreal draft pick (5th round, 2021) and they own his rights until June 1, 2025.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Laval sign him to a ATO for the rest of the season just to get some pro experience.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023

My thoughts on him exactly…he’s been fun to watch. That’s for sure.

I was hoping that he would be back, but was figured that this would happen. Best of luck to him.
He did a little too well this year 😅

Reactions: Rounder8

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I hate to admit when I'm wrong, but I missed it with Florian, watched him come in the league and didn't think he had what it took to make it. I thought it was a reach drafting him where the Habs did. I was wrong, really wrong.
Good luck to him

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I hate to admit when I'm wrong, but I missed it with Florian, watched him come in the league and didn't think he had what it took to make it. I thought it was a reach drafting him where the Habs did. I was wrong, really wrong.
Good luck to him

Totally agree with this. I didn't see this coming at all.

Both brothers are late bloomers I guess.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Is there a Brantford fan that wants to make a pick in the mock draft thread?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
How the hell do you guys always get draft steals. Guy put up well over a ppg in u18. You guys got him at 14… how?!

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
How the hell do you guys always get draft steals. Guy put up well over a ppg in u18. You guys got him at 14… how?!
Loophole rule that if your dad played in the OHL you can commit to that league. I'm sure all teams knew this.

What I don't know is if he opts for the OHL, gets taken by a team he doesn't like, can he still opt in to the Q draft.

People always talk about some teams being destinations, and some not (not even in regards to location). Bulldogs have done a good job at treating and developing their players right.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Hamara may make his NA Pro debut in Belleville this Weds.

1713196619159.png

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Reactions: Canadian Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad