Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It would make a lot more sense if the referees just established a standard and stuck to it. They shouldn't have "manage" the game. Its not about making sure things are even, and both teams get the same number of PP opportunities. Its about making sure when a player commits an infraction which crosses the line, what ever it is for that game, that it gets called.

If they miss a call, they miss a call, too many times its like a coach complains and the referee defaults to accepting he missed something and tries to make up for it. Best referees I've seen over the years were upfront in admitting they didn't see it, and weren't going to call something they didn't see.

The two referee system has complicated things also, as the two may not have the same standard and one only makes a call to offset what they interpreted to be a weak call by the other official.

The best officials manage games. Whether it is what you are suggesting with respect to the severity of the infraction that will be called consistently or the volume of infractions required prior to making a call, the reality is they manage the game.

It isn’t a matter of evening things up unless the game flow demands it. The team that works harder generally gets more Powerplays. But, when two teams are battling hard in the playoffs, a lot of penalties will go uncalled. Sooner of later you have to pull the whistle out to calm things down and taking two guys off isn’t the answer. So, one guy goes off so the message is sent. BUT, if that is what you do, you balance it off with a similar call against the other team. That was one team isn’t getting an advantage. LEt’s face it, you can’t reign them in without giving a powerplay and it isn’t fair that one team takes the hit for both teams getting a little too out of control.

I have no issues with how the game was officiated yesterday. I didn’t like the Mayer call. But I also thought the O’Brien call was weak under the circumstances BUT, I understood that it was time to calm things down a bit. I knew if Ottawa scored on the PP that one other weak one would get called against Ottawa and it happened. It is what it is. The reality is the game was mostly pretty good. Things didn’t’ get out of control. The teams were mostly afforded an opportunity to play their game. Kudos overall to the officials.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I really liked the dogs forecheck tonight. Really made it hard on the 67s.

I don't think this series is over either. They'll be in tough but this is a resilient group of guys. Have to stay out of the box though, at least don't take penalties when you don't have to. I gets it an emotional game but you play right into their hand when you retaliate
No the series is certainly not lost as the Dogs are a good team but they'vs made it hard on themselves. We are a bit lucky to be up 3-1. I thought we deserved games 2&3 but Brantford was the better team last night imo. They dominated the game except for the first 15 of the third and we did get a few lucky bounces. Mind you without two glaring mistakes by Mayer on the first goal and Mackenzie on the second might have been different. Anyway am enjoying the series.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
No the series is certainly not lost as the Dogs are a good team but they'vs made it hard on themselves. We are a bit lucky to be up 3-1. I thought we deserved games 2&3 but Brantford was the better team last night imo. They dominated the game except for the first 15 of the third and we did get a few lucky bounces. Mind you without two glaring mistakes by Mayer on the first goal and Mackenzie on the second might have been different. Anyway am enjoying the series.

I agree that this series should probably be 2=2, but that's hockey.

Bulldogs are trying to play puck possession in their own end and it's exposing their D vs a good Ottawa forecheck. Just too many turnovers.

Ottawa had better puck luck last night, but there will be games like that.

Pulling Drobac is definitely not the answer and he isn't the cause of things, but he also has not been his best so far and they will need that if they have a hope of coming back.

3 silly penalties. I love O'Brien and it was a soft call, but he can't afford to do that. It was out of character for him, so I look at it as a 16 yr old mistake.

The Roberts penalty was the real game changer and it was just stupid. He had just made a solid play and then he ends it by punching the Ottawa player in the back of the head. This is more than a habit for him at this point. I don't care if he sees the ice again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rattler

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Refs screwed the pooch again with Okitundu. What the hell. They make dumb calls every game now and have to let the player out of the box because they were wrong. Coaches constantly crying for five minute penalties for every hit now.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
How many times are they going to get burned because they didn't take the easy way out of their zone?

Just brutal.
Absolutely. And I believe coaches preaching the same at this point.
If there is no obvious open man, shoot it into glass (but don't miss).
Ottawa so much faster on puck. If they don't take "glass puck clear" approach in game 6, it'll be quick affair in Ottawa.
Kudos on today's win though, awesome game to attend.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
How many times are they going to get burned because they didn't take the easy way out of their zone?

Just brutal.
The turnovers have killed them this series.

Hung on to that one by their fingernails. I don't know if they can get game 6, but if they do the Civic will be rocking for game 7.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Ottawa's board fuming all over negated tying goal. IMO Drobac was definitely impeded by Ottawa's player body falling onto his back inside of crease area. Yes he ended up there as a result of pushing struggle with defenseman, yet facts are facts. O player fell onto Drobac and impeded him in save.
Also, reviewed second goal, that went in off O player skate, IMO, definitely had an intent and dragging motion to score with skate. As that goal was allowed, think third was denied as a bit of evening calls up.
Clean your zone, and you'll get the series. Let's Go Bulldogs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa's board fuming all over negated tying goal. IMO Drobac was definitely impeded by Ottawa's player body falling onto his back inside of crease area. Yes he ended up there as a result of pushing struggle with defenseman, yet facts are facts. O player fell onto Drobac and impeded him in save.
Also, reviewed second goal, that went in off O player skate, IMO, definitely had an intent and dragging motion to score with skate. As that goal was allowed, think third was denied as a bit of evening calls up.
The 2nd goal wasn’t a kicking motion. It was a redirect. Players are allowed to move their leg/skate to redirect a puck. Grey area for sure but looks like the right call.

The 3rd goal depends a lot on how Korbler ended up where he was. Grey area again. Korbler skated into the crease area but once he entered he was steered directly into the goalie (you can see the crosscheck motion) when he circled to try to get out of the crease. I dare anyone to go define a rule on goaltender interference and get the same call from 10 officials. Nearly impossible. The goaltender interference seems to be purely judgement.

IMO, the rule of thumb should be if it takes longer than 120 seconds to review a few angles on a tablet, you can’t overturn the call on the ice. Reviewing stuff for 5+ minutes is just plain silly. At that point they are trying to justify overturning a call. Additionally, giving the on ice officials a small dinky tablet instead of allowing the guys in the AV Room with big screens to make the judgement call is stupid. I can understand allowing the officials an opportunity to review a major penalty but goal calls should be made in the AV Room quickly. It is embarrassing for that to take 5+ minutes to call. You can clearly see Korbler shoved into the goalie so either Korbler went into the crease on his own accord and it is his responsibility to exit the crease regardless then that should be 30 seconds to make that determination….one way or the other.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watched the game. On the goalie interference call as soon as I saw the overhead I knew the goal would be challenged. Don't have a dog in the race but I think they made the right call. Refs are either right or wrong. No grey areas for them.😊 Ottawa is a team that plays the game with speed. If the Bull Dogs want to win this series they have to find a way to match that speed.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yeah I do think it was a goal but as I said on the Ottawa board I don't think Stoney's goal should have counted. One for us, one for you guys so kind of a wash imo. As I said on the Ottawa board I admire the refs consistency... they got both wrong! That being said we're being treated to a hell of a series. Can't wait to get to the arena tonight.

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023
Dogs advantage over Ottawa is their size. 67s are no doubt a smaller, faster team. We have to be able to play our physical game without worrying about getting called for penalties on routine contact. After Oki almost got a 5 min for head check after rubbing a smaller player off on the boards, and Protz’s boarding penalty, they laid off on being as physical and momentum shifted.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Dogs advantage over Ottawa is their size. 67s are no doubt a smaller, faster team. We have to be able to play our physical game without worrying about getting called for penalties on routine contact. After Oki almost got a 5 min for head check after rubbing a smaller player off on the boards, and Protz’s boarding penalty, they laid off on being as physical and momentum shifted.
I'd double that with note of shoulder to chest/shoulder, not leaving ice, not exaggerating hit. Just use momentum of your body. No hand action. Gotta be smart about it, which wasn't our strong suite.

Reactions: Babs716

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Physical is good. It's the dumb penalties like the ones in game 5 that have killed them.

If they stay away from those they have a chance.

It has definitely been an entertaining series.

Btw, 2 sensational blocks from O'Brien. You won't see many 16 yr old forwards doing what he did.

Reactions: Babs716

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023
Btw, 2 sensational blocks from O'Brien. You won't see many 16 yr old forwards doing what he did.
Frequently reminding myself that he’s an 07 because lord knows you wouldn’t guess it by the way he’s been playing.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
The 2nd goal wasn’t a kicking motion. It was a redirect. Players are allowed to move their leg/skate to redirect a puck. Grey area for sure but looks like the right call.

The 3rd goal depends a lot on how Korbler ended up where he was. Grey area again. Korbler skated into the crease area but once he entered he was steered directly into the goalie (you can see the crosscheck motion) when he circled to try to get out of the crease. I dare anyone to go define a rule on goaltender interference and get the same call from 10 officials. Nearly impossible. The goaltender interference seems to be purely judgement.

IMO, the rule of thumb should be if it takes longer than 120 seconds to review a few angles on a tablet, you can’t overturn the call on the ice. Reviewing stuff for 5+ minutes is just plain silly. At that point they are trying to justify overturning a call. Additionally, giving the on ice officials a small dinky tablet instead of allowing the guys in the AV Room with big screens to make the judgement call is stupid. I can understand allowing the officials an opportunity to review a major penalty but goal calls should be made in the AV Room quickly. It is embarrassing for that to take 5+ minutes to call. You can clearly see Korbler shoved into the goalie so either Korbler went into the crease on his own accord and it is his responsibility to exit the crease regardless then that should be 30 seconds to make that determination….one way or the other.
Ya not going to start a war on the Brampton board but sure their was goalie interference 100% but the Ottawa player was clearly pushed into the netminder via a cross check. Not Kobler's fault IMO what was he supposed to do?

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Ya not going to start a war on the Brampton board but sure their was goalie interference 100% but the Ottawa player was clearly pushed into the netminder via a cross check. Not Kobler's fault IMO what was he supposed to do?
Screenshot_20240407_141440_Chrome.jpg

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I think a nice flip out of their own zone every now and then (not icing it) would do wonders for the team. I noticed that Ottawa seemed to flip it out well (always seems to almost hit the scoreboard) and the dogs never attempt it but rather hold on to it and look for a pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad