Confirmed with Link: Brandon Sutter & 3rd to Vancouver for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They're going to chip in a lot too. There's going to be regular secondary scoring and a lot of pressure taken off the top 6.

That's good, not to mention Crosby will have help with Kessel in the playoffs. Shut Crosby down? fine...we got Kessel! if some team can shut out top 6 down, we got our 3rd and 4th lines to score the odd goal when we need it.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That's good, not to mention Crosby will have help with Kessel in the playoffs. Shut Crosby down? fine...we got Kessel! if some team can shut out top 6 down, we got our 3rd and 4th lines to score the odd goal when we need it.

It's really matchup hell for anyone, in general. We can run it so that the top two lines have more than one guy to run the play if need be (Crosby+Perron, Malkin+Kessel, or some combination thereof) AND we have playmakers in the bottom six too (Bonino, Cullen, Bennett). There is always going to be someone out there to set the table, and then someone to pick up the slack if the first someone doesn't have enough space. And there's plenty of good shooters in the mix too, plus guys who can and will drive the net. It's a mix that can kill you in a lot of ways.

This is going to be a fun season. If the D holds up, it'll be legendary.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's really matchup hell for anyone, in general. We can run it so that the top two lines have more than one guy to run the play if need be (Crosby+Perron, Malkin+Kessel, or some combination thereof) AND we have playmakers in the bottom six too (Bonino, Cullen, Bennett). There is always going to be someone out there to set the table, and then someone to pick up the slack if the first someone doesn't have enough space. And there's plenty of good shooters in the mix too, plus guys who can and will drive the net. It's a mix that can kill you in a lot of ways.

This is going to be a fun season. If the D holds up, it'll be legendary.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The very real issue is that as good as our forward corps looks, our defensive unit looks just as bad--outside of Letang and Maatta.

I am still super excited about the direction of the team and the foreseeable future, but we still have a ton of work to do on the blueline. At the very least, we'll be a damn fun team to watch this season.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Our D corp will only look bad if Pouliot & Dumoulin don't step up.

Also, there's still plenty of time to get a 2nd pairing, preferably physical Dman.

At this point in time i'm not worried.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
If we do in fact trade Kunitz, there are a lot of free Kunitzes available (Brad Boyes, Erik Cole, Curtis Glencross).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The very real issue is that as good as our forward corps looks, our defensive unit looks just as bad--outside of Letang and Maatta.

I am still super excited about the direction of the team and the foreseeable future, but we still have a ton of work to do on the blueline. At the very least, we'll be a damn fun team to watch this season.

Our defense does not look bad. Its unproven, but you really can't call it bad. If things work out even reasonably well, "a lot of work" boils down to letting bad players go and adding one more guy. And its certainly not out of the question that we won't even need to add another guy. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems to me Andersen has a chance to be the physical guy we need.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Team defense will be important. You cant have forwards flying the zone with significant pressure on a kid like Pouliot. That'll mean more than any D-man we bring in.

Having 4 lines that are better than the other team's will as well.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Team defense will be important. You cant have forwards flying the zone with significant pressure on a kid like Pouliot. That'll mean more than any D-man we bring in.

Having 4 lines that are better than the other team's will as well.

*looks at Kessel* Yeah...

But they seriously need to not leave the D out to dry, being good at possessing the puck will help but they've got to have a team commitment to protecting them and Fleury. Not making a break for the offensive zone at the first hint of being able to, simpler plays and getting back quickly when the other team gets the puck. And tbf, when they've had a lot of young D up in the past the team has done that.

Perron, Hornqvist and Kessel (I guess he does make the other two look better. You go, Phil, helping people's confidence) aren't defensive beasts by any stretch but everyone has got to be aware.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We should be able to play a pretty safe offense. There is enough talent to score without needing to take many big risks.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We should be able to play a pretty safe offense. There is enough talent to score without needing to take many big risks.

Yep. I think that's overlooked. Under DB without the talent on wing, we had to rely on the stretch pass and big gaps between the forwards and defense. Now, we can come up as a group of 5.

Again, that mentality, it's going to prevent more goals against than any D-man we add.

It's up to MJ to make it work.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

JR's championship blueprint seems to be strong forwards with an adequate defense. He's like the anti-Shero. The 2006 Carolina team that won the Cup had a similar structure. Pretty deep up front, but a bit of a no-name blueline (difference being the Pens have star quality in Letang and potentially Maatta).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
JR's championship blueprint seems to be strong forwards with an adequate defense. He's like the anti-Shero. The 2006 Carolina team that won the Cup had a similar structure. Pretty deep up front, but a bit of a no-name blueline (difference being the Pens have star quality in Letang and potentially Maatta).

Hopefully that can work. The past few Stanley Cup winners have had strong defensive cores.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The thing is, Shero's blueprint never made sense to me.

Obviously a strong defense makes sense, but you only play 6D, so having 12 nhl -caliber dmen makes no sense, when you have to play 12 forwards. You need far more f depth than d.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hopefully that can work. The past few Stanley Cup winners have had strong defensive cores.

The Blackhawks played 3 players half the game and then hid the rest. That's not really a strong d.

Every winner has had a dman who can play 25+ minutes. The Pens have that, if he can stay healthy.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I believe that the time is now to give the youth a shot. If they fail, you add a top 4 D at the deadline. But Cole and pouliot has a great chance at being a legit, Nhl level second pairing. Dumolin and lovejoy can become a solid third pairing. Hopefully one of our 4 other depth D can make some noise as well (scuds, erixon, clendenning, and Anderson)

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Blackhawks played 3 players half the game and then hid the rest. That's not really a strong d.

Every winner has had a dman who can play 25+ minutes. The Pens have that, if he can stay healthy.

They played with four players...and how would it not be a strong d? To win the Cup playing with 4 dmen...sounds pretty strong to me.

Didn't the Hawks just win basically playing 4D?

Idk, I think winning the Cup with 4 dmen would indicate that defense core was pretty damn strong.

Penguins are almost there with Letang, Maatta, Pouliot. If Dumoulin/Erixon/Cole could step it up to take that fourth spot, that would be tremendous.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

We have two, if they can each stay healthy.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
The Hawks have 3 guys who can play 25mins in the playoffs though. As good as Maatta has been for us, he hasn't proven it yet. Letang is our only guy.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't think of top-heavy as strength. Otherwise, the Pens forwards were a stength the past three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad