Brandon Saad...Rock Bottom?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
So you were celebrating when Saad was traded for Anisimov and Dano too? There's no guarantee the Hawks could have signed Panarin without making promises on April 2015.

I agree ... the straight up trade for Panarin for Saad and Forsberg looks to be disaster, unless Panarin leaves CBus for nothing next year. However, are you factoring in how we got Panarin in the first place and Anisimov? Like I said, there are a lot of moving parts to the 3 year Panarin / Saad saga.

3 things to know about Artemi Panarin
I am confused by your insistence that Panarin leaving Columbus has any impact on the outcome of the trade from Chicago's perspective. It would only change the outcome from Columbus perspective. Although I am sure they'd rather have cap space than Saad's contract for the next two years. Losing Panarin to free agency will be devastating for Columbus because they got a taste of having a superstar on their team. Not because they "lost" Saad.

Reactions: Blackhawks

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Jokingly threw out Saad for Pasta on mainboard thread ‘Boston looking to add a center’ and its taken on a life of its own...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'll take your guys word for it. However, I don't see how current Seabrook and Gus on the second pairing makes the Hawks into legitimate contenders ... even with a healthy Crow.

Think of some of the second lines of the top teams in the NHL.

Remember Murphy and Forsling change that quite a bit.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Remember Murphy and Forsling change that quite a bit.

Sort of crazy two years ago Forsling was called “special” by Q, had an amazing camp and made the team (remember the slap pass against detroit...) and now he’s kind of on the back burner as far as Hawks D prospects go...Interested to see how he performs when he gets back. Murphy coming off back surgery is a huge question mark

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Sort of crazy two years ago Forsling was called “special” by Q, had an amazing camp and made the team (remember the slap pass against detroit...) and now he’s kind of on the back burner as far as Hawks D prospects go...Interested to see how he performs when he gets back. Murphy coming off back surgery is a huge question mark

Forsling, at one point, was our best 2nd defenseman for a stretch. He looked like he belonged on the top pairing. But he's not consistent. He struggles with the speed of the game.

That being said, he has potential. He just needs to reestablish that he belongs. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Maybe it's an experience thing. Either way, he's had a taste of the pros and has shown something in that time...he's gotta prove that he can do it game in-game out.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I am confused by your insistence that Panarin leaving Columbus has any impact on the outcome of the trade from Chicago's perspective. It would only change the outcome from Columbus perspective. Although I am sure they'd rather have cap space than Saad's contract for the next two years. Losing Panarin to free agency will be devastating for Columbus because they got a taste of having a superstar on their team. Not because they "lost" Saad.

100% spot on!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

If you look at it from the lense that AP would be walking from Chicago not Columbus or that Chicago May have both Saad AND AP it is pretty clear.

Not saying I agree but that is how you can logically view it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You're not getting the point. The Hawks had to promise certain things to sign Panarin from Russia. This goes well BEFORE the trade of Panarin for Saad. This goes back to April 2015. The Hawks had to make certain promises to Panarin's agent.

Panarin didn't play much in the 2015 preseason. In fact, he was injured. However, he was immediately put on Kane's line in the regular season. Even Kahun had to prove himself some in preseason before he was put on Toews line.

Reactions: LDF

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Forsling, at one point, was our best 2nd defenseman for a stretch. He looked like he belonged on the top pairing. But he's not consistent. He struggles with the speed of the game.

That being said, he has potential. He just needs to reestablish that he belongs. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Maybe it's an experience thing. Either way, he's had a taste of the pros and has shown something in that time...he's gotta prove that he can do it game in-game out.

Let's remember that he is 22-years-old. Keith was like 23 when he truly established himself in NHL.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You're not getting the point. The Hawks had to promise certain things to sign Panarin from Russia. This goes well BEFORE the trade of Panarin for Saad. This goes back to April 2015. The Hawks had to make certain promises to Panarin's agent.

Panarin didn't play much in the 2015 preseason. In fact, he was injured. However, he was immediately put on Kane's line in the regular season. Even Kahun had to prove himself some in preseason before he was put on Toews line.
that was great background info. i didn't know alot of what you wrote.

many thanks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
that was great background info. i didn't know alot of what you wrote.

many thanks.
I'm not saying the Panarin signing pushed Saad out. However, there were a lot of moving parts in order for the Hawks to sign Panarin over the Penguins, etc.

The Saad for Anisimov and Dano trade ... to Panarin for Saad and Forsberg trade had a lot of moving parts. It's not as easy as just saying the Panarin for Saad trade was TERRIBLE. On that snap shot, of course it was terrible. However, that trade was cluttered by the peripherals AND still not done yet. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm not saying the Panarin signing pushed Saad out. However, there were a lot of moving parts in order for the Hawks to sign Panarin over the Penguins, etc.

The Saad for Anisimov and Dano trade ... to Panarin for Saad and Forsberg trade had a lot of moving parts. It's not as easy as just saying the Panarin for Saad trade was TERRIBLE. On that snap shot, of course it was terrible. However, that trade was cluttered by the peripherals AND still not done yet. That's all I'm saying.

no matter what was the extra parts you write. i am talking about the bold .....

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No Panarin trade, no Boqvist. Saad is just gravy, hopefully he turns it around. I’ll still take Boqvist over Panarin though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No Panarin trade, no Boqvist. Saad is just gravy, hopefully he turns it around. I’ll still take Boqvist over Panarin though.
Cheap young DMen with high performance on the ice is gold. I suspect Joker's value is extremely high right now.

Boqvist has a ton of upside, but he still needs to prove himself on the ice. Panarin's price tag is a major concern in a hard capped sport. That brings down his value some.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Hoffman's wife was proven innocent in her trial, regarding the harassment case.

To Chicago:
Mike Hoffman

To Florida:
Brandon Saad

Hoffman is faster than Fortin, with a better shot, and can play the point on the PP. Contract is a tad bit cheaper, and expires sooner.

Debrincat-Toews-Kahun
Hoffman-Schmaltz-Kane

PP1
Debrincat-Toews-Kane
Jokiharju-Hoffman

PP2-
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kahun
Seabrook-Gustafsson

^Schmaltz running his own PP unit would be better for his development IMO.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

To Chicago:
Mike Hoffman

To Florida:
Brandon Saad

Hoffman is faster than Fortin, with a better shot, and can play the point on the PP. Contract is a tad bit cheaper, and expires sooner.

Debrincat-Toews-Kahun
Hoffman-Schmaltz-Kane

PP1
Debrincat-Toews-Kane
Jokiharju-Hoffman

PP2-
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kahun
Seabrook-Gustafsson

Is Florida looking to move Hoffman?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

To Chicago:
Mike Hoffman

To Florida:
Brandon Saad

Debrincat-Toews-Kahun
Hoffman-Schmaltz-Kane

PP1
Debrincat-Toews-Kane
Jokiharju-Hoffman

PP2-
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kahun
Seabrook-Gustafsson

I dont think theres ever been a trial, criminal or civil, to prove either guilt or innocence.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Looks like Saad is IN the lineup tonight. When Q was asked about his demotion to the 4th line AND wearing a white jersey at practice, he said it wasn't a hard decision at all. So, at least Q is holding him somewhat accountable. I would bench him for a game or 2 and let him watch from the press box.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You can absolutely look at the Saad for Panarin trade in a vacuum. The Anisimov, Forsberg, Dano, + pieces are in the past and IMHO not relevant anymore.

It was a good trade in theory when you factor in the cap/contract uncertainty and the Hawks being an unsuccessful one line team when Panarin was here, but it's been objectively bad in practice.

I actually really liked the trade at the time. I thought it would get the Hawks back to form so to speak. Having a Toews line that dominates possession and shuts down opps best lines is how we won our Cups. Saad just simply didn't return to his old self when he came back.

Bad trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad