Brandon Saad...Rock Bottom?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q shaming him with the White Jersey denoting healthy scratch at practice today ...probably sits for the games with the Totes. ..

Will this work to motivate him?Something wrong..how can a $6.0 be this bad in effort if not production?Q obviously disappointed and angry over the uninspired play he sees from Saad and now finally succvumbedvto embarrassing him hoping this shakes him of the lethargic play ...will it work?

Knowing Q it probably is just a 1 game stapling to the bench ..but when Saad getsxre-inserted he had better hustle all his shifts or the stapling will be re-instituted and last a lot longer .

The real question is who wanted Saad back in the first place? COST CERTAINTY Stan or We goitaxgetvhelo for Toews Q?

Which one pushed for that trade?

Since the Saad for Toes move fizzled last season (as I predicted...because as I said the problem was Toews and his own attitude and training methods..and that has been revealed by the Toews return to Normal this season after 3 consecutive sub-pat seasons of less than starry play ...), so that the Q assumption was wrong from the beginning (that Toews needed help when the solution was for Toews to fix himself)...in that case...there was no reason to trade for Saad.

AS TO San betting on Cost Certainty and that in 2 seasons Pana run would go Ufa andxwe lisevhim anyway..the problem with that analysis is that even if Panarin do go free,we would then save the $6.0 we are spending on Saad to get somebody else for $6.0 who probably produces to that level of pay. .which Saad has failed to do for us.

So whether this Saad fiasco is the fault of Q or Stan...bottom line is we have $6.0 of diddly squat .Another Albatross Co tract on our hands for 2 more seasons after this one .Unless finds his inner Man-Child again ..

At the time of Saad's draft ,I posted to AVOID drafting him at all costs...he stunk that season in Jr's. ..But Stan knew the injury that kept Saad out from early season to mid -season probably hampered him when he came back and that he never got back to performing as the talent scouts expected that season..

This is why when Saad played great for us for the seasons before we moved him to Columbus ,Stan was hailed as a genius for drafting him when other GMs failed to account for him not recovering from his injury in that second half of his draft year in juniors.. So Stan took credit for a smart hunch ..

But NOW Saad is playing as poorly as he did in that 2nd half of his last junior season ...

So the question IS: Is there some injury lingering that bis hampering him again? WELL we have no medical reasons given and we have the new policy to reveal injuries or ill-health issues more transparently to the media and fans. .and we have heard no such excuses for Saad.

Thus we infer then problem is entirely with Saad's own effort level and perhaps his confidence..but instead of buckling down his response seems too accepting and laid-back ...such that he himself thinks it is just bad luck and not his level of effort that is the current problem..if that is his attitude..just wait and his luck will change ,then he is doomed to fail again...He needs to show by effort over and above that at the minimum he is out working the oops on every shift..no coasting allowed! But the eye test keeps showing that laussez-Faire coasting. ..the late coverages on checking assignments in the d-zone..the puck battles lost..the lack of will and want and hustle ...you do not need to look at Stat sheets to infer these. .the eye test shows when players fail to show up and coast too much...

So maybe Q has had enough. .Trying fibalky to send a message to motivate Saad by letting him know he has to EARN his time on the ice.. $6.0 notwithstanding.

Saad needs to wake up ..or else!

Reactions: TheSting

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Saad is going through the motions out there and he truly isn't putting in the effort. In the end, if he really did only play for his contract like that scout said he felt like Saad did, then scratching him won't even matter. He'll still be getting paid the same. Truly disappointing.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Saad is going through the motions out there and he truly isn't putting in the effort. In the end, if he really did only play for his contract like that scout said he felt like Saad did, then scratching him won't even matter. He'll still be getting paid the same. Truly disappointing.

The same thing happened in Columbus, so it obviously didn’t change his long term mentality because here we are again with him getting scratched.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Q shaming him with the White Jersey denoting healthy scratch at practice today ...probably sits for the games with the Totes. ..

Will this work to motivate him?Something wrong..how can a $6.0 be this bad in effort if not production?Q obviously disappointed and angry over the uninspired play he sees from Saad and now finally succvumbedvto embarrassing him hoping this shakes him of the lethargic play ...will it work?

Knowing Q it probably is just a 1 game stapling to the bench ..but when Saad getsxre-inserted he had better hustle all his shifts or the stapling will be re-instituted and last a lot longer .

The real question is who wanted Saad back in the first place? COST CERTAINTY Stan or We goitaxgetvhelo for Toews Q?

Which one pushed for that trade?

Since the Saad for Toes move fizzled last season (as I predicted...because as I said the problem was Toews and his own attitude and training methods..and that has been revealed by the Toews return to Normal this season after 3 consecutive sub-pat seasons of less than starry play ...), so that the Q assumption was wrong from the beginning (that Toews needed help when the solution was for Toews to fix himself)...in that case...there was no reason to trade for Saad.

AS TO San betting on Cost Certainty and that in 2 seasons Pana run would go Ufa andxwe lisevhim anyway..the problem with that analysis is that even if Panarin do go free,we would then save the $6.0 we are spending on Saad to get somebody else for $6.0 who probably produces to that level of pay. .which Saad has failed to do for us.

So whether this Saad fiasco is the fault of Q or Stan...bottom line is we have $6.0 of diddly squat .Another Albatross Co tract on our hands for 2 more seasons after this one .Unless finds his inner Man-Child again ..

At the time of Saad's draft ,I posted to AVOID drafting him at all costs...he stunk that season in Jr's. ..But Stan knew the injury that kept Saad out from early season to mid -season probably hampered him when he came back and that he never got back to performing as the talent scouts expected that season..

This is why when Saad played great for us for the seasons before we moved him to Columbus ,Stan was hailed as a genius for drafting him when other GMs failed to account for him not recovering from his injury in that second half of his draft year in juniors.. So Stan took credit for a smart hunch ..

But NOW Saad is playing as poorly as he did in that 2nd half of his last junior season ...

So the question IS: Is there some injury lingering that bis hampering him again? WELL we have no medical reasons given and we have the new policy to reveal injuries or ill-health issues more transparently to the media and fans. .and we have heard no such excuses for Saad.

Thus we infer then problem is entirely with Saad's own effort level and perhaps his confidence..but instead of buckling down his response seems too accepting and laid-back ...such that he himself thinks it is just bad luck and not his level of effort that is the current problem..if that is his attitude..just wait and his luck will change ,then he is doomed to fail again...He needs to show by effort over and above that at the minimum he is out working the oops on every shift..no coasting allowed! But the eye test keeps showing that laussez-Faire coasting. ..the late coverages on checking assignments in the d-zone..the puck battles lost..the lack of will and want and hustle ...you do not need to look at Stat sheets to infer these. .the eye test shows when players fail to show up and coast too much...

So maybe Q has had enough. .Trying fibalky to send a message to motivate Saad by letting him know he has to EARN his time on the ice.. $6.0 notwithstanding.

Saad needs to wake up ..or else!
Please start a new thread praising Jonathan Toews. Toews did what you asked. He's playing like the top 50 All Timer again. You'll get more credibility when you learn to praise good play too.

As for Saad, missing the option of a morning skate would probably tick me off too ... especially if only Keith and Ward missed it (well deserved). If Saad's lackluster start isn't motivation, I don't know what is. He needs to look himself in the mirror. Does Saad want to play to win OR is he just collecting paychecks?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The same thing happened in Columbus, so it obviously didn’t change his long term mentality because here we are again with him getting scratched.
does anyone else feel there is a bit more to the story than just on-ice performance? I mean, he got dropped to the 4th line, didn't play bad there IMO, but didn't get a ton of time to really do much and earn a way out of it, yet he is now being "scratched" and Kunitz who has done nothing (paid $5mil less I get that) but still remains on the 3rd line?? has to be some type of attitude or Saad coming off as not giving a shit that leads to this...he literally played his best game of the year (not saying a ton) THEN gets demoted to the 4th line....I don't know, seems like it is more than just on-ice play for me..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Scratching him will matter, Saad isn't going to want to sit on the bench, or get demoted to the AHL. If he still is a good player with a lack of drive, scratching him should wake him up. I fear that he was just never as good as his contract indicates.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
How many more years is Saad under contract?]

Nevermind, 2 years after this year.... Probably good timing because he will want a new deal after 2020-21 and that year the hawks maybe prime for another cup run. He will bust his ass for that one year for sure.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Mini Hossa! Lol.

What a disaster of a trade.

Imagine a top line of Kane and Panarin and then Toews and Cat.

Kane will produce with anyone but Hawks could be so much better

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Mini Hossa! Lol.

What a disaster of a trade.

Imagine a top line of Kane and Panarin and then Toews and Cat.

Kane will produce with anyone but Hawks could be so much better
You don't have to imagine it could happen next year!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

“There’s nothing you can do...”

Gosh, the comments coming from him every time Q slaps him in the face are concerning.

Actually, the last part of the quote offers up what he’s going to try to do. It’s disingenuous of you to not include it, and imply that his attitude is poor.

That said, he’s been inadequate this year and last. Improvement is the only thing he can do and still expect a job.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Actually, the last part of the quote offers up what he’s going to try to do. It’s disingenuous of you to not include it, and imply that his attitude is poor.

That said, he’s been inadequate this year and last. Improvement is the only thing he can do and still expect a job.

What’s disingenuous about what I posted? You can read the full quote in the tweet, that’s why I posted the tweet.

I pulled out the part I found surprising. If you’re really I interested in fighting your way back, I don’t know why you say things like “is what it is” and “nothing you can do”

He’s not Finnish so he can’t blame it on a difference in language where he naturally softens the directness of his statements, that was the issue many had with Tuevo.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
"Improve"...I guess that's what you'd call it.

But, it's not like this is a slumping player who's lacking confidence in his shot or playmaking abilities or other complex areas of the game. Saad is clearly (beyond a few special shifts) playing soft by shying away or simply making **** effort around the boards, especially as the guy going in for dump-ins. In the middle of the ice it's the same deal, he needs to have a grinder mentality to be successful, get the puck where ever you can and win battles, more importantly don't shy away from physical play.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
6 million, 2 cups with the franchise and fans that will remember me forever, just got hitched... yea I wouldn't give a f*** either.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Saad for Drouin?
I once said Drouin's baggage is NOT worth it. I was wrong. Do I get chance for redemption?

At $5.5mn for 5 years, Drouin appears to be a bargain. Perhaps we should give Saad some French lessons and con Montreal. Somehow I think Montreal would try to staple Shaw's contract to Drouin ... and Q would be dumb enough to fall for it.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->