Confirmed with Link: Brandon Prust signed to a PTO

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Did he have anything interesting to say?

nah.
basically wants to prove that he's capable of playing, he likes where the leafs are going and he thinks it would be an honour to wear the jersey so he hopes it works out for him here.

[why can't super talented people ever want that? :laugh: ]

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
nah.
basically wants to prove that he's capable of playing, he likes where the leafs are going and he thinks it would be an honour to wear the jersey so he hopes it works out for him here.

[why can't super talented people ever want that? :laugh: ]

Lol yup they come here looking for a last chance

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
With Matt Martin already signed and Brandon Prust on a PTO, it seems the Leafs have two good enforcers now, to make sure the Young guys don't get pushed around.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
With Matt Martin already signed and Brandon Prust on a PTO, it seems the Leafs have two good enforcers now, to make sure the Young guys don't get pushed around.

It's nice to know that teams will think twice about dishing out cheap shots at our younger talented prospects. I was a bit concerned with this before but now not so much.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

Martin, Prust, Polak, Richel (if he makes the team), and Komarov :handclap:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While the Leafs have neither cap space nor roster space to accommodate and NHL contract for Prust, he could be a good 4th line energy player and body guard for a team expected to carry a lot of youth.

He is a better fit and role player then playing Lupul or Michalek.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I think they're going to give him a fair shake, I don't buy any of this "it's just for the pre season when the mains are @ the world cup" talk. Obviously he's going to be at the most disadvantage in camp than others because he doesn't have an actual contract, but I still think if he shows he's capable of playing a beneficial NHL game, they'll sigh him and use him as some veteran depth. Vets like him are important on a team that undoubtedly will be filled with kids.

If Prust can get his ankle healthy and can still skate a decent level, he is the type of player that can become a fan favorite in a city, especially in a city like Toronto. Then of course, if he doesn't play well and is taking a spot from a kid, he could get absolutely roasted as well.

While the Leafs have neither cap space nor roster space to accommodate and NHL contract for Prust, he could be a good 4th line energy player and body guard for a team expected to carry a lot of youth.

He is a better fit and role player then playing Lupul or Michalek.

Agreed, especially in the role each 3 of them are going to play. I doubt Michalek/Lupul are going to get much PP time this year, and if they aren't scoring you points what else are they doing? Prust, at least is an agitator and can be plugged in on your PK.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think he's a good player to offer a no-risk PTO. I think the way his season went last year, was probably 95% off-ice issues more than anything.

He just got married and his wife is an actress/model in Montreal and couldn't follow him to Vancouver.

The long-distance stuff, being in a new city, new team. Culture shock, IMO.

I think Toronto is close enough to Montreal he wouldn't feel as homesick, so it could be motivation to work extra hard in camp and pre-season.

Prust is a guy I've wanted on the Leafs since the day Burke first uttered testosterone and pugnacity in the same sentence.

So hopefully we get a player with some gas left in the tank.

Puts that much more pressure on Holland to up his game.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Loved the leadership he showed in Montreal, it would be cool to see him as a 4th liner but how often do PTO's actually stick with the club? I can't remember the last time a PTO stuck with Toronto.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Ya, it's rare.

Off the top of my head, Fleischmann and Gustavsson signed with MTL and BOS respectively after having PTOs last year.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Ya, it's rare.

Off the top of my head, Fleischmann and Gustavsson signed with MTL and BOS respectively after having PTOs last year.

Mark Fraser, Brad Boyes, Thomas Fleischmann, Jonas Gustavsson, Steve Bernier, Lee Stempniak and Tyler Kennedy in the fall of 2015.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Loved the leadership he showed in Montreal, it would be cool to see him as a 4th liner but how often do PTO's actually stick with the club? I can't remember the last time a PTO stuck with Toronto.

We've had 2 in the last 3 years with Boyes and Raymond.

I don't see where Prust fits in with the youth in the team though. They'd have to dump guys like Holland, Greening, Michalek to make room.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Last year off the top of my head we had Boyes, Glencross and Setoguchi signed to PTOs and only Boyes made it.

Mr Hockey*

There is no way Prust makes the Leafs ...

• extra preseason muscle
  • offered a spot on marlies and insurance if Martin is injured
  • added muscle on the marlies

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He probably doesn't make the roster, but who knows?
There's a lot of question marks heading into camp and moves to be made before then

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We've had 2 in the last 3 years with Boyes and Raymond.

I don't see where Prust fits in with the youth in the team though. They'd have to dump guys like Holland, Greening, Michalek to make room.

Its a shame Holland isn't playing up to his potential, the guy has such raw talent but he is so lazy on the ice. There was a game a few years back where he was a monster, he used his size and skill and was the absolute dominant player on the ice, for both teams. With that said he has no future with us, so him going to waivers would not surprise me one bit.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I have no issues with this signing. In my mind the Leafs are an extremely young team with a bevvy of rookies vying to make the squad in camp. Babcock will not give a spot to any of them unless they win the job over a pro. Prust will have a shot but will have a lot of youth to compete with.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Its a shame Holland isn't playing up to his potential, the guy has such raw talent but he is so lazy on the ice. There was a game a few years back where he was a monster, he used his size and skill and was the absolute dominant player on the ice, for both teams. With that said he has no future with us, so him going to waivers would not surprise me one bit.

Yeah I'll be surprised if Holland is around for long

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I agree, too bad, he seems to love the team but all that energy seems to be going to PR he will likely be a very good 3rd liner in 5 years when he learns he's not a superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad