Confirmed with Link: Brandon Prust signed to a PTO

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
MTL fan. I think that Prust is a bit underrated around the league since he got send down in the AHL. I feel like it was just a Benning/Canucks thing, who simply wanted to give a fresh look to the team and give more place to the younger players, doesnt mean Prust/Higgins aren't NHL worthy players (they both were overpaid though, thats mainly why they didnt get claimed imo). Prust had to deal with injuries last season which didnt help his case. The year before, he was a very valuable player for the Habs. Great 4th liner energy guy, who could play on the PK and even chip in on the 3rd line when needed. His hockey IQ isn't that bad for a goon. Best pound for pound fighter in the NHL imo (almost always wins his fights despite his small size), he always sticks up for his teammates. And yes, he is a great locker room guy. Hes slowing down though, his skating was already bellow average, so this could become problematic.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
MTL fan. I think that Prust is a bit underrated around the league since he got send down in the AHL. I feel like it was just a Benning/Canucks thing, who simply wanted to give a fresh look the team and give more place to the younger players, doesnt mean Prust/Higgins aren't NHL worthy players (they both were overpaid though, thats mainly why they didnt get claimed imo). Prust had to deal with injuries last season which didnt help his case. The year before, he was a very valuable player for the Habs. Great 4th liner energy guy, who could even chip in on the 3rd line when needed. His hockey IQ isn't that bad for a goon. Best pound for pound fighter in the NHL imo (almost always wins his fights despite his small size), he always sticks up for his teammates. And yes, he is a great locker room great. His slowing down though, his skating was already bellow average skate, so this could become problematic.

Yeah the most he's going to get is a year here. And although we have too many vets right now, he's the kind of guy who's a good locker room presence

The Leafs are going to have to make some room somehow though

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
MTL fan. I think that Prust is a bit underrated around the league since he got send down in the AHL. I feel like it was just a Benning/Canucks thing, who simply wanted to give a fresh look to the team and give more place to the younger players, doesnt mean Prust/Higgins aren't NHL worthy players (they both were overpaid though, thats mainly why they didnt get claimed imo). Prust had to deal with injuries last season which didnt help his case. The year before, he was a very valuable player for the Habs. Great 4th liner energy guy, who could play on the PK and even chip in on the 3rd line when needed. His hockey IQ isn't that bad for a goon. Best pound for pound fighter in the NHL imo (almost always wins his fights despite his small size), he always sticks up for his teammates. And yes, he is a great locker room great. Hes slowing down though, his skating was already bellow average, so this could become problematic.

I liked him when he played with Montreal. At the time, thought it would be great if Leafs had someone like him. Worth a shot.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Just....ugh. Hopefully it's a matter of a camp body and somebody to push the kids further.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
This is a guy who had found a home playing in MTL. After being moved to another team (a terrible vancouver team) he was unable to regain his form. This guy still has a few productive NHL years left in him IMO and I am extremely shocked no one is giving him a shot. I think he is great for our 3rd or 4th line and will be fun to watch.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
MTL fan. I think that Prust is a bit underrated around the league since he got send down in the AHL. I feel like it was just a Benning/Canucks thing, who simply wanted to give a fresh look to the team and give more place to the younger players, doesnt mean Prust/Higgins aren't NHL worthy players (they both were overpaid though, thats mainly why they didnt get claimed imo). Prust had to deal with injuries last season which didnt help his case. The year before, he was a very valuable player for the Habs. Great 4th liner energy guy, who could play on the PK and even chip in on the 3rd line when needed. His hockey IQ isn't that bad for a goon. Best pound for pound fighter in the NHL imo (almost always wins his fights despite his small size), he always sticks up for his teammates. And yes, he is a great locker room guy. Hes slowing down though, his skating was already bellow average, so this could become problematic.

How is this not us?
He won't be in peoples' lineups.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hrabarenka was someone Jersey fans were touting as really good. He's someone for the Marlies but our organization needs to be moving more players out rather than move more in. He'd fit in very well with the Solar Bears, who could use some higher end defensive players.

Prust is nothing more than a proxy for toughness so our young guys to prepare for the big league. Maybe if we move Holland and Corrado, he could be worth signing as a 13/14 forward with Leivo. If you overlook last year, I don't think he's that far off from someone like Matt Martin, and would be a major upgrade over signing Rich Clune from his AHL deal (as much as I love Clune filling that role full time in the AHL).

I'm just waiting for the next mass exodus of dead weight to come about, and then we'll see whether or not these PTO's will be anything more than situational proxies and warm bodies. Prust and Raman have to know that they have a slim chance to none of making the NHL team (or even AHL team; whether it's on an NHL or AHL deal) at this point. There are just too many bodies and not enough spots to put them in (nevermind the contract limit).

Mad Brills*

I'll be pissed if he makes the team and they lose leivo for nothing.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
lol no way but I know he's a well liked guy in the locker room

Wouldnt mind him being another Clune for the Marlies

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He won't make the team... We'd have to sell off a lot of bodies before that happens, and even then he would only make it as like a 14th forward.

I do hope that they sell off Holland (and any other crap they don't need) sooner rather than later though... That would be nice.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This team was way too passive last year and a few good players with an edge will help ease the young guys in and stop other teams taking liberties.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully they're in a position to trade this guy to a semi contender next year looking for a little boost.

Mr Hockey*

There is no way they let leivo walk for nothing, he is going end up scoreing 30 goals on anther team!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
prust might choose his jersey number to be 9 because he wore that number in vancouver

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I've liked Prust since he was with the NYR.

Still have some years left (31yrs old) and he has something to prove so he'll work twice as hard.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Prust was ghastly last year in Vancouver. Looks like he's skating in sand - his wheels are just completely broken and he can't keep up at this level anymore. Generated shot attempts at about the same rate as John Scott, and they threw a tantrum about being a healthy scratch and was basically released.

Might be a helpful veteran in the minors but as an NHLer he's finished.

buttman*

This signing is nothing more than someone to keep the creatins off the kids during camp. He won't make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad